Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

magnetic gauntlet closures?

• 11 Replies
magnetic gauntlet closures?
« on: Apr 28, 2017, 08:53 PM »
so i've seen several people mention that they used magnetic closures to hold their gauntlets shut, but i'm not quite sure how this would work? i haven't found any tutorials on how to do it, so if anyone has suggestions, it'd be appreciated, thanks~

Re: magnetic gauntlet closures?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 03:10 PM »
They aren't talking about your average fridge magnets, they are talking about rare earth magnets, if you youtube wargaming rare earth magnets you will get a good idea on how to use them.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 04:08 PM »
if you take a look in the supply depot i believe tma sell a magnetic closure kit. i got my own nemoidian (rare earth) magnets from ebay.

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 05:15 PM »
i got my own nemoidian (rare earth) magnets from ebay.

Are the Trade Federation infiltrating Beskar'kandar suppliers?   :D

Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 05:35 PM »
Rare Earth magnets come in a few different shapes. For gauntlets, I've seen them mostly in cube shapes. Since they're cubes, they sit flush onto the ends on the inside of the gauntlet. You'll probably want to use a strong glue and add extra sintra onto the sides of the magnets to anchor them a bit to the gauntlet. Otherwise they may rip off when you open and close them too often. I hope that makes sense. Let us know if you still have any questions.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 05:52 PM »
Are the Trade Federation infiltrating Beskar'kandar suppliers?   :D
     ha ha ha appologies neodymium magnets.

Werde

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 07:13 PM »
Just not E6000.

That does not work well with strong magnets.

I had one magnet detach and I tried to use E6000. It had over a week of cure time, and it still got yanked right out by the strength of the other magnet. I wish I knew what they used to attach the magnets in my gaunts originally!

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 07:58 PM »
Just use loctite 401 glue, think of it as super super super glue

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 01:55 AM »
Oh I've had plenty experience (and crushed fingers) with RE magnets. I just wasn't sure how they would work to sit on the gauntlet to make a strong closure. Will check out the kits though

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 08:29 AM »
They aren't talking about your average fridge magnets, they are talking about rare earth magnets,

I found some a couple of years ago at Harbor Freight Tools.  I used them on my old ABS gauntlets for closure but they kept popping open with shear movement.  They are great for trying to pull directly apart but movement from the sides pops them off.  I ended up using velcro and that has worked since.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

MIRAGE

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 09:50 AM »
I found some a couple of years ago at Harbor Freight Tools.  I used them on my old ABS gauntlets for closure but they kept popping open with shear movement.  They are great for trying to pull directly apart but movement from the sides pops them off.  I ended up using velcro and that has worked since.
Agreed with you, just save the trouble and use piano hinges, magnets are nice at first but like he said they pop open with movement..

MMcFett

• Wayii!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 06:21 PM »
so i've seen several people mention that they used magnetic closures to hold their gauntlets shut, but i'm not quite sure how this would work? i haven't found any tutorials on how to do it, so if anyone has suggestions, it'd be appreciated, thanks~

Eternal Armory sells a kit. There are tutorials on the site.
Also, check out this tutorial from RKD. Unfortunately Photobucket screwed up his pics, so you'll have to guess.

...take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Ephesians 6:13WIPs: Helmet-Armor-Gauntlets-Weapons-Jetpack

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!