Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

New Sabine S3 Jetpack!

• 11 Replies

AliyaJ

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
New Sabine S3 Jetpack!
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:54 PM »
I've finally finished it.  Scratchbuilding kicks my butt sometimes. Here's some pictures and some kind of an explanation... STORYTIME!!!

Sabine's jetpack changes halfway through season 3. It's purple with lots of the fabulous Clan Wren wings and is also a lot more angular than the "stolen" jetpack..

"Stolen"

"Custom"

I started out by sketching shapes onto cardstock and taping them together. Eventually getting to a point where I could tape the pieces together and getting what I wanted it too look like. Below is a rough idea of the shapes I created and what worked.

And the shells it created... The top piece I had to bend into shape to  get the subtle curve on the top.

After some fiberglassing, bondo, and primer... It started to look something like a jetpack. Compared to my "stolen" pack, it's a bit shorter so with luck you'll be able to see my back pouches now.. (it weighs in at a whopping 5.4 pounds!!!)

Deep breaths....Wings are next...

Ta-Da! :D Sadly, by this point it was 5 o' clock and I tend to not eat while I work so I was shaking like a leaf trying to paint the wings, but they turned out alright!

The main color should end up matching the rest of the blue/lavender color found on the rest of the season three armor. The wings are painted the same color as the helmet wings (dark violet purple). Orange is the basic orange color the same as the back band of the helmet. The red stripe is the same as the red/orange used for the forehead of the helmet. The pinstriping is silver. :)

It's all mounted on a 9x8 board of sintra. The stand is made of eva foam mostly so it doesn't dig into your back  (the stolen one is a rounded square shape that doesn't dig near as bad). The whole jetpack is held up by to buckles fixed under the stand. Straps come out of holes concealed by the shoulder armor. :) For a jetpack harness I just sew two straps onto a sports bra, and that has held perfect for my stolen pack.

Bonus shot of all of my Sabine armor to date. :) 40+ pieces created so far, my season 3b gauntlets are just waiting on a 3d printer now. :) We'll see how season 4 goes!!!

And yes, I still wear all of this. Of course season 3 is my favorite. :)

Jaegun Clark

• #ISCsAreMandosToo
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
Re: New Sabine S3 Jetpack!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 07:08 AM »
Commenting to bookmark this. Definitely interested in one of those packs for myself ... that and my mother has expressed interest in doing a Sabine costume herself XD

Amazing work here :)

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 07:30 AM »
That would make a GREAT display at a con, and you've got enough to be able to still wear a costume :P

Have you thought of vacforming the pack? Might reduce the weight somewhat. It looks like a shape that would take to it fairly well, in two pieces.

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 10:59 AM »
This is awesome! I can't wait to take these rough templates you made and try and make my own. Thanks for always being on the vangard of Sabine costuming Aliya!

Sto-Las Amari

• Never stop fighting for what you believe in
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 12:19 PM »
Sweet tutorial!!! Thank you for taking the time to sketch out those templates!!!  :)

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 03:20 PM »
Awesome!! I'm going to try my hand at this soon... ???

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!

Ja'nyc Crucible

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 75 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 03:59 PM »
Thank you so much for the rough template. I will definitely be trying this out.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 02:20 AM »
wow just wow.

for a free mandalor.

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 07:02 PM »
Wow, that turned out great! Thanks for sharing your pattern.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

JrMint82

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 10:00 PM »
Amazing job! Thanks for sharing your templates.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 11:05 AM »
Awesome job!  Had thought of doing a Clone jump pack, but I have liked this one better...

Bookmarked!

stilgarhammer

• Heart Cold As Ice.
« Reply #11 on: Jun 08, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Great job.  :sabine:

One question, unless I missed it, what is the diameter of the center jet tube?

thanks

Projects: Design, build, use, modify, recycle, tweak, lather, rinse, repeat

http://lordshijo.blogspot.com/

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!