Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Coming out of Retirement and building a new Kit Updates 6/1

• 14 Replies

Carter

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
OK I wasn't going to make a build thread, but I was told to by my Clan, so here goes nothing.  So after a few years, things have settled down a bit and I decided to get more involved and being trooping again. And make a whole new kit.

I don't have a ton of build pictures, but here are a few that I do have.

It's all 3 and 6 mil pvc board.

More sanding, a bit of paint and I was here.

Added bottom plates.

Decided I need to add a collar.

And tried it on for fit. I don\t have my vest on in this picture.

Ok so then started the backpack

After paint, it was so plain! So I started adding greeblies. Hmm, still not good enough I'll have to add some more.

Worked on my Cod piece.

No for a first aid kit to hang on the back, just under the plate where the Stormies keep their thermal det.

And that\s where I'm currently at. Now that I've caught you up, I promise to post regular updates.

« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2017, 11:25 AM by Carter » Logged
M.A.J.I.C. #118

Join The Mercs, Visit exotic places, meet strange people, then kill them.

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Coming out of Retirement and building a new Kit (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 11:07 AM »
Welcome back, Vod. Oh man - your armor looks amazing. I really want to hold you to your promise since I really want to see where this build goes. Hope you can get back to trooping soon.

Og' Reh

• Ugliest Mandalorian you've ever seen!
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 12:11 PM »
That's one worn out outfit for sure! :)

I love the front by the way!

How is it concerning mobility?

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Desperate times need desperate measures... Call Mandalorians!
- Like... BOTH of them?

WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105164.0
Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

Ihala

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 01:36 PM »
So happy you'll be back trooping with us soon, we missed you!
Your kit is just gorgeous, and you are a master at weathering! :)

Elek, ke gana ash...
"Yes, have some..."

MMCC #1112

Carter

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 05:49 PM »
How is it concerning mobility?

The kit is light, the front plates are strapped, so I can bend at the waist without issue.

M.A.J.I.C. #118

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 01:21 PM »
Wow! This looks really good! ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Renn

• I thought you were made of sterner stuff?!!
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 09:51 PM »
impressed as always Carter, can't wait to see this completed.  Glad you are coming back vod.

MMCC #1116    B.E.A.R.D.S.#101

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 11:28 PM »
That looks quite nice! Only thing I'm thinking is that maybe the plates are sitting a bit low and could be moved up so that the cover, the other plates as well, are almost choking you.

Keep up the great work! :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Carter

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 08:18 AM »
Thanks Everyone!

That looks quite nice! Only thing I'm thinking is that maybe the plates are sitting a bit low and could be moved up so that the cover, the other plates as well, are almost choking you.

Keep up the great work! :)

Yeah I was just having a quick picture taken, the plates do actually sit up a bit more when they are on the vest, I was just holding them low. But thanks for the input.

M.A.J.I.C. #118

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 09:33 AM »
Ah very nice :) glad to hear!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Carter

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 08:27 AM »
Updates! Ok after a busy weekend, I managed to get into the shop yesterday for a bit.
I cut out shins, nothing really exciting there.
Remember that sad old backpack? Well I spruced it up a bit. I've added 2 blue lights, and a red one but for some reason they don't show up that way in the picture.  Oh well.

(please Ignore the tape and the fact the cables are not really attached, I snapped a pic for test placement Also ignore my messy shop. )

M.A.J.I.C. #118

Sto-Las Amari

• Never stop fighting for what you believe in
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 10:43 PM »
Holy smokes :o Welcome back from retirement vod!!! Your kit is looking spectacular!

Carter

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 08:17 AM »
Thank you!  :D

M.A.J.I.C. #118

Carnorjax

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 2016 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Vod,

I wish the word impressed explained what I think about your armor so far. I am a retired member also working on a new kit. Would love if you can post some instructions on how you did that chest piece. Have been looking for exactly that for my LC.

Keep ur WIP going

Drang Qos
(pronounced in basic as Rock-ee)

Carter

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 11:36 AM »
To be honest, I can't really described how I built it.  I was staring at a Phase one clone trooper and though, that looks kewl.

I made card templates on the go, and lots of adjustments. I'll pull them out and take pictures tonight and see if I can describe what I did and how I did it.

Ok here we go. I couldn't find the templates I made the first time, so I made a few more real quick to show you how it's done.

First I use a flex ruler to get the curve I want.

I then transfer that to the template.

Since I want the raised plate to have a bit of a curve to it, I draw out a curve.

Then I need the actual plate I'm going to have, so I made this one real quick.

Now I was rushing and realized I drew it out to be a bit shorter than my top plate, But this should still give you the idea.

Anyway, you attach the two like this.

Finally comes the bottom part, Which should be fitted to the curve you provided with your flex ruler.

Hope that helps you to understand how the plates were made.

More Updates!

Ok worked on the Shins for the kit over the weekend.

« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2017, 11:22 AM by Carter » Logged
M.A.J.I.C. #118

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!