Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vec Orrad's Legacy (eventual) Force Hunter WIP

• 9 Replies

Vec Orrad

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
Vec Orrad's Legacy (eventual) Force Hunter WIP
« on: May 24, 2017, 09:35 AM »
Hey all!
I've been lurking for awhile and running through lots of ideas of how I want to do my kit. I think i've finally settled, so am ready to start my Concept/WIP thread!

As an (eventual) Force Hunter, I know that I'll be battling with a lot of Force Users. As such, I've decided that the best way to do that is to combine two of the Force User's greatest Fears - The Mandalorian, and the IG-100 Magnaguard Droids.  To do that, I'd like to use both their Cloak/Cape (just not the part going around the helmet), and the Electrostaff. 
Magnaguard Droid

For the staff, i plan on using the electrostaff tutorial posted here, but then drilling some holes in the ends to weave EL wire through. I will probably replace the aluminum flag pole base with a pvc pipe base, then cut out a spot for the EL battery/controller to sit into. MMCC Electrostaff Tutorial

I plan on using primarily Drake's Legacy plates as well, they just look amazing and intimidating.

For my side arm, I plan on picking up one of these, removing the crossbow limbs, adding a pvc pipe barrel and some greeblies.
80lb Draw Crossbow Pistol

I've already purchased a large NME Props Stalker helmet, so am just waiting for it's arrival (4-6months!!)
Stalker Helmet

I plan on making jetboots similar to the one's used by Vick for his Force Hunter
Vick's Force Hunter Boots

I also will have some 3d printed Thermal Detonators/Grenades, and of course some trophy lightsabers, kyber crystals, and

I've already gotten the Flight Suit (and used my terrible sewing skills to take it in in the legs and arms), and created my own Vest (again with terrible sewing skills).  I have a temporary sash-belt until i decide if it's long term or I find something better, as well as an ammo belt. Gloves and Boots are also purchased!

Flight Suit

Belt

Gloves

Boots look identical to these, just without the logo Boots

and finally, here are some terrible pictures for a quick template size check! The bottom tip of the 4th chest lame is sitting directly on my belly button. I worry that the chest is too small.
Front
Back

Any thoughts/advice/comments will be much appreciated!

OM #2258
Re: Vec Orrad's Legacy (eventual) Force Hunter WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:00 AM »
This looks really awesome!  I can't wait to see your build!

-Trialaccess
--Nuhunar Nexu--

"Mhi solus tome.  Aliit ori'shya tl'din" 
--We are one together.  Family is more than bloodlines.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 02:46 PM »
This should be interesting! :)

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 04:07 PM »
All your concept stuff sounds cool :)

With regard to templates -- I have a kit based on those that I am in the Pre-App phase with. 

On the front -- the curves for arm clearance on the chest plates are really hard to get totally right till you're wearing a shaped piece.  Just be prepared/don't be shocked if you need to trim that curve deeper so you're not locked down like 3p0. 
You can probably drop the 4th lame on your belly.  The point of your bottom one should end about your navel.

I'd wait to shorten the back till you have it cut in sintra.  Also, it looks like you have the overlaps inverted from normal implementation.  The plate closest to your collar goes on the vert top.  Every plate after that is underneath the one above.  IIRC, the collar plate should abut the first chest plates, but not overlap, but it may be an either or situation there. 

Overall width looks pretty good to me.  There's a lot of variance with Legacy Cods and shoulder designs, so I'll be interested to see which way you go there.

Good luck on your journey!

Vec Orrad

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 05:11 PM »
All your concept stuff sounds cool :)

With regard to templates -- I have a kit based on those that I am in the Pre-App phase with. 

On the front -- the curves for arm clearance on the chest plates are really hard to get totally right till you're wearing a shaped piece.  Just be prepared/don't be shocked if you need to trim that curve deeper so you're not locked down like 3p0. 
You can probably drop the 4th lame on your belly.  The point of your bottom one should end about your navel.

I'd wait to shorten the back till you have it cut in sintra.  Also, it looks like you have the overlaps inverted from normal implementation.  The plate closest to your collar goes on the vert top.  Every plate after that is underneath the one above.  IIRC, the collar plate should abut the first chest plates, but not overlap, but it may be an either or situation there. 

Overall width looks pretty good to me.  There's a lot of variance with Legacy Cods and shoulder designs, so I'll be interested to see which way you go there.

Good luck on your journey!

Much appreciated! Yours is one of the WIPs that i've been following, and studying from!

That's interesting that you were thinking to drop the 4th lame, as i was honestly wondering if i needed to add a 5th! I'm nervous about the amount of space between the Sash/Belt and the bottom lame. It may just be that the sash was sitting too low as well. Hmmm....

And you are absolutely correct. I have the back-templates on backwards. D'oh! Each plate should go underneath the one above it, yeah. It's rough enough to make these paper templates cooperate without the added user error!

OM #2258

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 05:14 PM »
Yeah, I think it's more sash too low than plates too short.  If you put plates all the way down to where you wear a normal belt, you'll be a statue. 

Flattered that you've been following my wip!
Here's a link to my pre-app thread, I think some of the pics are more up to date than my WIP in legacy:  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=132997.0

Rin V'khari

• #allthefilth
« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2017, 10:03 AM »
Looking good Vod!

My advice is take your time.  I, too, used this template as a starting point and made some alterations for my overall vision and to fit me.  I reshaped my chest plate 3x before I got it to where I wanted.  Remember to put everything together and test fit before you paint (made that mistake on a piece or two).  Chicago screws are your friend  :D

~Rin

Og' Reh

• Ugliest Mandalorian you've ever seen!
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2017, 06:16 AM »
That's interesting that you were thinking to drop the 4th lame, as i was honestly wondering if i needed to add a 5th! I'm nervous about the amount of space between the Sash/Belt and the bottom lame. It may just be that the sash was sitting too low as well. Hmmm....

I've been told to cut out pieces of my belly as well. I think I've started with 5, posted first pic of 4 and was told it's too much.
Ended up with 3. And I'm a tall guy and thought I could use a piece more to cover my abs. Bear in min though, that you'll put there belt, girdle, ammo belt and some more gadgets, and it gets crowded on your belt area.
So regardles to how much it seems "opened area" I decided to stick with 3 pieces. With all the rest on, there's not much uncovered suit left and I'm going for heavy so it's important factor for me.

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Desperate times need desperate measures... Call Mandalorians!
- Like... BOTH of them?

WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105164.0
Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

Vec Orrad

« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2017, 11:48 PM »
Had to put this project on the backburner for a few weeks due to family vacation, the flu, and just a busy schedule.
Either way, I've slowly been purchasing the stuff, with the knowledge that I'll get around to it some day.  Well, that day was today!
One of my clan members invited me over to his house to get some work done, and we were pretty productive. Today we ended up officially scrapping my old vest, cut templates for a new vest, then traced and cut plates from the plastic. Big thank you to Kordon Bleu for all the help!

And everything together!

(i know i'll need to add Bicep plates for Force Hunter brigade, but that shouldn't be too difficult. I just wanted to see how all of this looked together to decide how i want to do those.)

As for status updates on everything else -

Helmet - My NME Stalker Helmet came in! Yay! I was quoted 3-4 months, but it only ended up taking 6 weeks or so!  So i promptly turned around and ordered a visor and helmet pads to help hold it in place.

Blaster - I also got my blaster pistol in! I plan on adding a PVC pipe barrel with a cap on the end to really make this thing look more like a real blaster

Staff - I haven't gotten much headway into the staff lately. I plan on using the template found here http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=103053.0  except using pvc pipe for the base instead of the aluminum flag pole. I will be drilling holes towards the top then weaving some pink/purple EL Wire through to simulate the electricity in the Magnaguard staff, which is why i need the hollow PVC pipe instead of the solid flag pole.  I got the EL Wire in the mail, and that control switch is HUGE. It definitely wouldn't fit into the staff normally. So i've got this half baked idea of cutting open the switch, moving the batteries to two seperate single-AA battery cases, but wiring it up for the same voltage. Basically just instead of the 2 AA batteries being parallel, they'll physically be in series, though wired to still be in parallel. No idea how that will turn out, but I'm willing to experiment. Whats the worse that could happen?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017GCSULA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Flight Suit - I spent a good amount of time teaching myself to sew by taking in this thing. I normally wear a small/medium size, and found this one at Goodwill for super cheap. Too bad it was a large! So i took in legs, arms, waist, even the neck line. It may be pretty sloppy, but it should look just fine once all the plates and vest are covering it

Vest - I ended up scrapping the vest I'd previously made. It was a rough draft, and my first time sewing, so I'm not too heartbroken. My friend ended up picking up some dark gray duck cloth, and helped me build new templates, so this is the top of my work list. The dark gray should help break up from all of the black

Gauntlets - One of my clan-members was going  through some financial issues, so i was able to pick up a used set of April Storms gauntlets for a good price. Love those things! I had planned on ordering from her anyways, but was balking at the shipping time from Australia, so when the chance came up to help a clan-member, I jumped at the chance.  I plan on sanding his paint job down, then repainting it my own colors. I may switch out the darts, not sure yet. I absolutely love the dagger that slides out!

Sash/belt - This was supposed to be a temp thing, but i'm liking it the more i look at it. It's one of my wife's old scarfs/shawl things. I plan to sew it to the correct length/width, as well as add some batting (?) to help it hold shape. It's a pretty lose material now!

Cod piece - I've been back and forth about how I wanted to do the cod piece, with out really finding an option that i fell in love with. When i was over at Kordon Bleu's house today talking about it, he offered me a hand-me-down Cod Piece that was given to him when he was first starting his kit. I'm thinking this may be the start of a new tradition - the Cod Piece that gets around!

So with that, my top priorities are to sew up the vest, then work on the staff, and maybe shape some of the easier plates. I have a clan armor party in a few weeks that I'm hoping to get started on actually shaping the more difficult plates.

Question here though - is it recommended to sand the plates down before or after shaping?

OM #2258

Og' Reh

• Ugliest Mandalorian you've ever seen!
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2017, 03:06 AM »
Oh Vod! This is going toward "Impressive". Go on! Go on! Don't let us wait for more updates! ;)

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Desperate times need desperate measures... Call Mandalorians!
- Like... BOTH of them?

WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105164.0
Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!