Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mix's ESB Boba Build

• 95 Replies

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
Mix's ESB Boba Build
« on: Jun 04, 2017, 11:35 PM »
Alright everyone,

I've decided to go full crazy, so please bear with me. 

Picked up this great lid from The Dented Helmet.  Wasted Fett is the one casting these, and I will say that this is my favorite bucket so far and I haven't even put paint on it, yet.

Speaking of paint...

I have everything from Model Master to Tamiya in here.  Both enamel and acrylic based paints.  I usually only spray with acrylics on my airbrush (easier cleanup, IMO), but I'm excited to branch out a little bit. 

I've got some ESB braids from woodman ordered, and one of Stormrider's ESB EE-3 kits on the way so I'll post those up when I get a chance.

There will be tears on this one, and my eyes may go crossed from getting the weathering and paint chipping right, but you'll have a front seat to it all.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2017, 08:45 AM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: Mix's ESB Boba Build
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2017, 11:56 PM »
I thought you were building a mythos kit...did you get another jetpack :P

Also really looking forward to seeing you take a crack at this build, I am sure you will do an awesome job!

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2017, 12:20 AM »
Ha ha, I'm still just sitting at three. 

After my first kit's helmet fell on its face, I had a realization that I wanted to improve the quality of my first kit, so the parts I had acquired for the Mythos build got cannibalized into the upgrades for the first one. 

And thank you.  I'm completely terrified.  :laugh:   

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2017, 01:00 AM »
Man you're a machine

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2017, 02:29 AM »
Commenting to follow updates. Having seen the quality of your existing builds I am wanting to be at the front of the viewing gallery for this one

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Mi'ix

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2017, 05:56 PM »
I have a parts update!

First we have some dental files!

Wookie Braids!

I got my last couple paints that I needed for the helmet this week so we'll get going on the helmet shortly!

« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2017, 08:44 AM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2017, 11:36 PM »
Looking good. Can't wait to see more.

A warrior who doesn't hope for battle has no hope during battle.

Azrayel

• Jorhaa'i pel. Kyr'amu an'kebise
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. EnviroOps Special Operations Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2017, 10:31 PM »
Cant wait to see this one all come together... and just watching the process.. i think will be great to see.

Mi'ix

« Reply #8 on: Jul 05, 2017, 12:17 AM »

Just a minor update on this one. Did some surface prep, which really just involved removing a few imperfections from the mold, and got the visor roughly cut out.

Still a ton of filing to do in the visor area to get the contour just right, but it's something.

Waiting for a couple things from Fettinator, mainly the servo kit for the range finder. If I'm feeling adventurous tomorrow I may start work on the key slots or drill out the holes for mounting the ear caps.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

« Reply #9 on: Jul 05, 2017, 03:44 AM »
Looking good vod.

Mi'ix

« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2017, 08:41 AM »
Had time for a little more work this past evening.  Cleaned out the visor area more, but I was able to get the non range finder ear cap attached with some 1/8th inch Chicago screws, which happened to be the perfect height.  This will make it so the ear cap is removable for easy painting/cleaning down the road.   

I sanded the head of the screws flat and recessed them slightly into the cap so that the they would sit flush against the helmet.  Nearly a perfect seam that I'm very pleased with.  Onto the other one tonight!  :D

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Mi'ix

« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2017, 08:58 AM »
Little bit more progress last night.  We're nearing the end of the ear cap phase.  I added the visor as a mock install just because.  Hopefully tonight I'll start work on the key slots and add a couple spots of 3D damage that are missing.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Looks great so far! Looking forward to seeing that paint-up!

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Legends of Mandalore Brigade Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 2016 EnviroOps
« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2017, 11:17 PM »

Just a minor update on this one. Did some surface prep, which really just involved removing a few imperfections from the mold, and got the visor roughly cut out.

Still a ton of filing to do in the visor area to get the contour just right, but it's something.

What were the imperfections?

It's spelled "Canon", not "Cannon".

(SHHH!!! I found the secret to getting OM approved!)

Mi'ix

« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2017, 11:35 PM »
Couple finger prints on the mandables and lower cheeks. Weird sort of air bubbles inside the forehead triangles too.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Mi'ix

« Reply #15 on: Jul 14, 2017, 09:09 AM »

Key slots have been filed out.  Tedious, but another character building exercise on this one.

In other news, ordered my flighsuit, neckseal, and vest from arkady.  Also picked up some other odds and ends that you'll see pictures of soon enough. 

**EDIT**

A new toy showed up in the mail today. :)

This will help me figure out how much I'm going to spend on this build!    :laugh:

In all honestly, I'm debating on whether I should take it apart and use the correct greeblies or just hold onto it. Sort of a neat little device.

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2017, 04:49 PM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Mi'ix

« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2017, 04:51 PM »
Ok, Finally got this paint job underway.

Primed!

Going to start with the back panels as that's where other people start lol.

Got the basic shape of the RLM 73 traced out using rafalfett's stencil's from TDH.

Masked.  Love the humbrol masking fluid.

Left Panel

Right Panel

I misted on the green and went back after the initial coat to darken some areas around the border of the damage to make it appear uneven.  I was pretty happy with the results.

Skip ahead a few steps

Couple things left to do here before I start airbrushing on some of the main colors.

I also got my flak vest, flightsuit, leather belt and pouches, girthbelt, etc...

ESB EE-3 from Stormrider

Held together by gravity here, but you get the idea.  Waiting on some electronics from Raestin's workshop before I dive into the blasters.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2017, 09:34 PM »
Really well done! Those back panels are a nightmare, but you pulled them off very nicely.

Mi'ix

« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2017, 10:00 PM »
Thank you, Ref!

Right side with the light gray.  Forgot to post this one.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Legends of Mandalore Brigade Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 2016 EnviroOps
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2017, 10:21 PM »
Nice build Mi'ix! Be sure to assemble that SR kit correctly/ accurately. EE-3s are tricky little girls.

It's spelled "Canon", not "Cannon".

(SHHH!!! I found the secret to getting OM approved!)

Mi'ix

« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2017, 12:06 AM »
Had some time this evening after Trick-or-treaters to add the black to the inner cheeks and do the green on the dome and lower cheeks. Looks a bit odd in these pictures, but I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

Can't quite decide if I'll airbrush the red or start adding some of the damage to the cheeks/dome topically.

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2017, 09:16 AM by Mi'ix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2017, 04:19 PM »
Looking awesome vod 👌🏻

Mi'ix

« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2017, 04:43 PM »
We have red!  Well, mainly insignia red mixed with black until I was happy with it.

Also, ear caps! 

The middle part of the yellow cap has since been painted the metal color.  I wanted to get all the major airbrushing out of the way for this one before I start the topical stuff on the cheeks and dome!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Mi'ix

« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2017, 06:56 AM »

Cheeks are done!  On to the dome!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

« Reply #24 on: Nov 17, 2017, 04:59 PM »
Nice and clean work.....good skills mate

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!