Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP: First Mandalorian Merc Build (Pictures)

• 42 Replies
WIP: First Mandalorian Merc Build (Pictures)
« on: Jun 10, 2017, 09:08 AM »
Hello,

For years I have been wanting to do a Mandalorian Merc, and the time has finally came. I originally wanted to do the Iconic Bounty Hunter himself Boba Fett, but soon realized that it would acquire more time and money then I currently have. Atindralerd is a coworker and has shown me much of the Mandalorians and the different types of kits. So over the last few weeks I have been doing constant research on armor, paint schemes, weapons etc. I will say the paint scheme seems to be the hardest thing to figure out.

I already have my flight suit, Flak Vest, Girth belt and Armor. Waiting for my Gauntlets, Helmet, Boots, Ammo Pouches Dyke kits and Dye removal to come in during these next few weeks. I just need to order gloves, electronics and a blaster or two.

Now in terms of the paint scheme, I wanted to do something similar to Boba, but in different shades of green with some different red and yellows. I came across Kelan Ord
and loved what he did but figured the general public would think I was Boba :laugh:.

So I continued to look at more builds, and came across someone who was part of the German Jai'galaar Clan,  Tyno Krast.
Tyno's paint scheme is glorious and I love the different shades of greys and white. I will be doing something similar to his paints but darker and grimier.

Atindralerd is helping me with the build and we did alot of progress yesterday. We traced the armor on paper and then used the paper templates to cut out the armor pieces on to poster board. Now this is just the beginning steps but I I would like some imput on what else need to be cut (shortned) and what else I could improve. The goal is to get everything done with the paper / poster board templates to the right size so then we can trim the armor accordingly. I forgot to mention we did this in our spare time today in the office :laugh:

First attempt:

Second attempt (Shortned the plate templates and better aligned things)

So we started with the flak vest this evening and so far are pleased with how it turned out. There will be some slight modifications to before we are happy with it.

My goal is to have everything done by Aug 01, we are having a German American Volksfest during the first weekend of August, and some members of the 501st where here last year. Would love to start my invasion at the Volksfest with 10's of thousands of spectators from all over Europe being  present.

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2017, 09:11 AM by Cbass59 » Logged
There's a price on your head and I've come to collect, call it business but I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.
Re: WIP: First Mandalorian Merc Build (Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2017, 05:18 AM »
I apologize for not posting in this section, I have been posting my build with the clan I plan on joining.

This is work on the back plate, shaping, cutting, sanding, heat forming, etc. (Still WIP, need to make cuts for jet pack harness)

Soft Goods (We redid the flak vest, weathered the flight suit, flak vest, spats, utility pouches and spats. The cape was also weathered and made from an army laundry bag)

Knee plates (Here are a few shots and comparisaon to the flat knee plates we previously had, heated and shaped them to a better fit, still WIP)

Knee darts (Home made knee darts we decided to go with, still a work in progress but this is what we are currently at. Will add green stuff, sand, repeat prime and paint)

Helmet (Mandalorian Arsenal, needs some TLC. Added some green stuff where there where bubbles, light marks etc, will sand, look to see if anything else needs to be added if not prime and paint)

There's a price on your head and I've come to collect, call it business but I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2017, 03:56 PM »
nice. just a small tip: tape a bit of card in the lower half of the vertical section of the T this will reduce the chances of the cheeks warping or cracking while you're working on it, and can be removed just before painting. ;)

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2017, 01:40 AM »
nice. just a small tip: tape a bit of card in the lower half of the vertical section of the T this will reduce the chances of the cheeks warping or cracking while you're working on it, and can be removed just before painting. ;)

Awesome advice, because I would hate for that to happen, thanks!  ;D

« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2017, 07:59 PM »
1 of 3 posts today (alot of pictures)

Sorry for not posting any updates as of late.

So we started working on the EE3, we removed the stock, and greeblies, added greeblies to the scope, redid the muzzle (German water hose attachment :P) wood stock and will add proper greeblies to stock. This isnt finished yet but it is close, just need to weather it and done. Also we kept the internals so it still has the lights and sounds.

« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2017, 08:00 PM »
2 of 3

Back to the knee plates and darts. So last time I posted about the Knee plates and darts I was showing the progress and build here is the other knee and darts (anyone know what the nozzles go to???? Gorilla glue :P look great in my opinion as knee darts).

I started painting the armor tonight, should have it done by tomorrow so I will post pictures of that. Also my Gauntlets should be in the mail tomorrow too.....hopefully. Was able to prime, add silver, use liquid latex , add black and latex tonight. Will have done tomorrow, so stay tuned.

« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2017, 08:01 PM »
3 of 3
So this was my project over the weekend since i had the house to myself. Still need to install T Visor ,
 padding, and need to order electronics from FI

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2017, 04:07 PM »
So today I painted the Chest, Diamond, Abdominal, Collar, shoulders, and knee pieces. Weathered them all except the Chest, Diamond, and Abdominal (Ran out of Black wash :( ).

Shoulders

Collar

Chest, Diamond, & Abdominal

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2017, 04:38 AM »
nice job. :D

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2017, 06:56 AM »
nice job. :D

Slowly but surely its coming along :D

« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2017, 06:42 AM »
Update!!!! ;D

So these are what I have for electronics at the moment for my Build.

TRAMP Audio System (will be hidden in ammo pouch)

FI provided me with two cooling fans and hearing aids.

Installed the helmet visor

Hearing aid installation and placement

Helmet fans. (Need to get a smaller powerbank this one is to large and I cant get my head in when its in)

Not much left to do on the helmet.

Clean up the loose wiring, add tubing, get smaller powerbank, and headphones to place in the bucket. Add some front padding near the forehead and then it will be complete.

« Reply #11 on: Aug 02, 2017, 04:01 AM »
The helmet is more or less done at this point, just some small touch ups that will be completed on it today. (add a cover for the battery pack and the motherboard to protect them from any moisture).

« Reply #12 on: Aug 02, 2017, 04:01 AM »
Sorry for the double post as it wont let me post all the pictures at once. so here is the interior

« Reply #13 on: Aug 02, 2017, 09:01 AM »
I really like the progress. Giving me tips and everything in my build.

« Reply #14 on: Aug 02, 2017, 09:37 AM »
I really like the progress. Giving me tips and everything in my build.

Thanks, as this is my first build I'm still new to all of it. However if you have anyquestions on how we did something on my build that your interested in feel free to ask. If your looking for input on your build please let me know and I'll look it over and perhaps I may find something someone else hasn't seen or said that could help you in your build.

Yogi

« Reply #15 on: Aug 02, 2017, 12:03 PM »
Looks good, I especially liked your weathering on your soft parts. As someone that recently went through the APP process, I can tell you one thing to keep in mind as you build is that the app team really looks for consistent weathering and armor spacing when you apply.

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan
« Reply #16 on: Aug 02, 2017, 12:38 PM »
I've seen others caution against regular (acid filled) batteries being against skin. RARE, but I've heard rumors of batteries leaking onto your skin. Might consider a small battery box there, or swapping for a more contained battery (power supply).

Do your fans get fresh air from anywhere, or just move it around in your helmet? I'm sure it better than nothing, but I think many prefer to pull air from outside (via a vent, or at least being near the collar). I've seen only a few WIPs where they ran tubing from the outlet to direct the air higher and further forward, but they never replied as to whether the tubing worked as intended. Essentially, fan near key holes or largely open area at back of neck (away from ears too  ;) ), with a tube running the air up towards your face or forehead.

The other thing that jumps out at me (or doesn't) is your knee darts. They just blend in with the same colors and weathering. I know they are traditionally a silver-ish color, but if you are treating them as "ammo", they'd be cleaner than the surrounding armor (unless you JUST collected all that grim since the last time you fired the darts). Then again, too clean would stand out as well. Maybe a colored stripe around them? I dunno, they just blend in and look like knee spikes to me.

« Reply #17 on: Aug 03, 2017, 02:20 AM »
Looks good, I especially liked your weathering on your soft parts. As someone that recently went through the APP process, I can tell you one thing to keep in mind as you build is that the app team really looks for consistent weathering and armor spacing when you apply.

Thank you for the the compliment on the weathering. This was a first for me in terms of weathering soft goods and I also used a new method (new to me atleast) on how to weather it. I think it turned out well and may need some small touching up. Yes I agree that weathering needs to be more or less the same across and that can be tricky to get especially if you do it in different days which I did. But I think they turned out great so I either know what I'm doing or just have good luck on the weathering :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #18 on: Aug 03, 2017, 02:25 AM »
I've seen others caution against regular (acid filled) batteries being against skin. RARE, but I've heard rumors of batteries leaking onto your skin. Might consider a small battery box there, or swapping for a more contained battery (power supply).

Do your fans get fresh air from anywhere, or just move it around in your helmet? I'm sure it better than nothing, but I think many prefer to pull air from outside (via a vent, or at least being near the collar). I've seen only a few WIPs where they ran tubing from the outlet to direct the air higher and further forward, but they never replied as to whether the tubing worked as intended. Essentially, fan near key holes or largely open area at back of neck (away from ears too  ;) ), with a tube running the air up towards your face or forehead.

The other thing that jumps out at me (or doesn't) is your knee darts. They just blend in with the same colors and weathering. I know they are traditionally a silver-ish color, but if you are treating them as "ammo", they'd be cleaner than the surrounding armor (unless you JUST collected all that grim since the last time you fired the darts). Then again, too clean would stand out as well. Maybe a colored stripe around them? I dunno, they just blend in and look like knee spikes to me.

This is also my concern wth the batteries is the potential for them to leak explode etc. So in the near future I will look for a cover or make one myself that will fit over and act as a barrier.

So we had to remove the rear helmet fan as my head or hair kept pressing against the fan stopping It. So we moved one directly center above the t visor. Unfortunately there are no vents but there is enough space in the front of my bucket to pull in air. It's a tight fit in the bucket easy to get on but getting off is a fight.

« Reply #19 on: Sep 03, 2017, 03:58 PM »
I apologize for the delay in posting pictures and for those interested not keeping you up to date with the progress.

Today was the first day back and more so in a month since we have done any work (also I was on Holiday break for two weeks).

The helmet was more or less done, so we decided to work on the EE3 Blaster next. This is also more or less completed at this time (minus minor detailing and sealing the weathering in a Matte finish, will be done last as this is the easiest)

Some weathering added (my first time learning and attempting to do weathering with paint and brush.

Wood Pistol grip added and 95% Complete (minus smaller detailing and matte clear coat finish)

We also started with the guantlets I had ordered from April Storms (as of right now we only have coated them in XTC 3D Coating, next step will need to sand them and more then likely recoat them and sand again before priming and painting).

Armor
So for the armor we added a spacer on the back side and drilled a hole for the magnets to fit flush. For the neck and back piece, we did the bolt system which can be seen in numerous Boba Builds ( we will be making our own greeblies for this as well and adding the cape). We still have to do some minor heating and bending on the back plate, and we also added some Velcro to the back plate. We will be sewing small pouches for the magnets on the flak vest so it sticks and the Velcro will also be sewn on as well). Atindralerd added his symbol to the chest piece which I will gladly wear as he has taken several hours of his personal and free time to help, teach, and assist in this build. Without him I would have never thought of actually building a kit.

The back plate still needs slots cut for the jet pack harness. We are nearly complete with the jetpack harness as well, unfortunantly I do not have any photos of this at this time). Prior to mounting we will put the flight suit and flak vest on and tape the armor into place (outline the edges) and submit for pictures. If they spacing is approved we will mount the plates as mentioned above and the upper torso armor will be complete. COD, Butt plate, and knees will be done right after.

Helmet - Complete
EE3 - 95% Complete (minor detailing and sealing in Matte clear coat)
Soft Goods - 95% Complete (Re weather boots).
Armor - WIP
Guantlets - WIP
Z6 Jet Pack - Have not started

« Reply #20 on: Sep 03, 2017, 09:13 PM »
Nice work on the bucket.  Your color choices are a favorite.  ;)

« Reply #21 on: Sep 04, 2017, 03:37 AM »
Nice work on the bucket.  Your color choices are a favorite.  ;)

Thank you, choosing colors was the hardest part IMO. With so many members I didn't want to copy an entire kit or look like someone else. And even when I do a second bucket the paint scheme and colors will be the hardest.

« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2017, 02:56 PM »
Last week we finished coating both guantlets and sanding them, which allowed me to begin painting them over the weekend. So thats what i did in my free time after recovering from Food Poisoning. We are still going to do some minor detailing to them, and will add greeblies as well. But just to keep this thread alive I will post some pictures of the weekends work.

If you notice one of the Gauntlets are blue and the other is grey...well I ran out of spray paint and the store I go to does not have that currently in stock until further notice (which inst to bad considering I have painted all the armor). The only issue with missing that specific blue is when I get to the jet pack later down the road, but I may use different colors for that, undecided at the moment.

Next on the list is mounting the armor (Taping in place) and submitting photos for the spacing etc for approval before we actually mount them. For those specific photos, Do I have to be in full kit, or just flak vest and plates? Also is there anywhere specific I need to post those photos and or create a new thread in a specific category or is on this thread okay?

« Reply #23 on: Sep 14, 2017, 03:03 AM »
It would be best to keep posting everything here. For the spacing I'd recommend you put everything you have on so we can see how the plates fall into place.

The weathering on your rocket gauntlet turned out really good  8) not too dirty and not too clean. Beauty.

Keep it up.

« Reply #24 on: Sep 21, 2017, 02:08 PM »
It would be best to keep posting everything here. For the spacing I'd recommend you put everything you have on so we can see how the plates fall into place.

The weathering on your rocket gauntlet turned out really good  8) not too dirty and not too clean. Beauty.

Keep it up.

Thanks Vod! I was hoping to have the opportunity to put everything on this week but that did not pan out due to work. We are hoping to have those plate mounted etc by the end of next week so I can post pictures of there are any corrections that need to be made. :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!