Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vaderfett's soft parts.

• 12 Replies
Vaderfett's soft parts.
« on: May 29, 2017, 09:44 PM »
So this is going to my official soft parts WIP. I am a new member looking for a lot of advice. I'm also a big guy, 6'5" weighing roughly 350 lbs. If I have any questions or if I'm looking to show off what I have so far, I will post in here.

Re: Vaderfett's soft parts.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 09:55 PM »
Would http://m.zappos.com/p/timberland-pro-6-resistor-composite-safety-toe-waterproof-boot-black/product/8570916/color/3 be an acceptable boot? And do flight suits have to be tucked into your boots?

bolakor

• I like my pirates like my coffee. Burnt.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 12:58 AM »
Would http://m.zappos.com/p/timberland-pro-6-resistor-composite-safety-toe-waterproof-boot-black/product/8570916/color/3 be an acceptable boot? And do flight suits have to be tucked into your boots?

Well the boots look good to me, just have to get a boot plate to cover those laces.
And no, your flightsuit doesn't have to be tucked into your boot so far as i am aware

Soft goods; 50% done
Armor; 0% done
weapons; 20% done
ideas; 110%

"You are most welcome here, my dear woman. I have an endless supply of theories about Jedi abilities—yet I keep running out of Jedi."
―Demagol
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 11:48 PM »
Bump for any big and tall mercs that have any advice.

Hik'aari

• Nickaari
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Weapons Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2017, 04:21 PM »
Well the boots look good to me, just have to get a boot plate to cover those laces.
And no, your flightsuit doesn't have to be tucked into your boot so far as i am aware

Correct, the laces would need to be covered over. With that style of boot I would recommend having the flight suit leg coming down over the top of the boot and then using a Boba style spat to create a clean looking finish whilst also covering over the remainder of the laces.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2017, 06:49 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the information Hik'aari

« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2017, 05:13 PM »
Still looking for big and tall mandos for some input. 6'5" and 350lbs is a lot of body to cover. Ideas of what to get for gloves and for a flight suit would be awesome!

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2017, 01:43 PM »
I'm 6'3", 230#, and I wear my old flight suit from the Air Force.  Its snug now, since I was about 190# when I first got it, but that works in my favor because its not baggy and hasn't needed any tailoring. 

A lot of folks use Red Cap or Dickies coveralls.  They are inexpensive, don't require a lot of modification. I do recommend either trying one on before buying it, or err on the safe side and get a size smaller. 

Medical scrub sets are also popular.  Really, any combination of pants and shirt will work as long as the end result appears to be a one piece suit.

Gloves, shouldn't be too hard.  Just make sure they don't have any logos, or have the logo removed.  That goes for all soft parts.

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46
« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2017, 09:32 PM »
I'm 6'3", 230#, and I wear my old flight suit from the Air Force.  Its snug now, since I was about 190# when I first got it, but that works in my favor because its not baggy and hasn't needed any tailoring. 

A lot of folks use Red Cap or Dickies coveralls.  They are inexpensive, don't require a lot of modification. I do recommend either trying one on before buying it, or err on the safe side and get a size smaller. 

Medical scrub sets are also popular.  Really, any combination of pants and shirt will work as long as the end result appears to be a one piece suit.

Gloves, shouldn't be too hard.  Just make sure they don't have any logos, or have the logo removed.  That goes for all soft parts.

Thank you for your advice. This is my first kit so I'm trying to gather as much information and advice as possible. I was thinking of doing a red cap or dickies coverall. I'm just need to look at some stores and see what they have. I'm also trying to get pros and cons of one piece vs two piece flight suits.

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2017, 10:19 PM »
Pros and cons of a two piece flight suit.

Pro:  easy access for bathroom necessity.

Con: Matching fabric and color exactly.

Pro: easier to put on and take off, especially for those unexpected bathroom breaks.

Con: Wider waist items necessary to cover up the waist band.

Pro: did I mention bathroom breaks?

Con: might need to invest in suspenders or otherwise modify pants so they don't fall down under the weight of armor.

One piece flight suits tend to look better, IMO, due to the color and fabric consistency.  But a properly selected 2 piece usually will garner the same effect.

A one piece flight suit may need alterations and modifications.  Same with a two piece.

Biggest negative of the one piece is the fact that you pretty much need to completely doff your armor and flak vest to use the bathroom.  Often, thus can't be done without assistance.  Nothing worse than needing a wrangler to dekit you so you can go poop.

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46
« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2017, 09:20 PM »
Pro:  easy access for bathroom necessity.
This almost makes my decision for me haha. I'm just so torn. I guess I'll have to see what's out there. Thank you for your input!

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. OM #1882
« Reply #11 on: Jun 24, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Personally, I went with a one piece, because it was just easier for me to find. Venom's completely right about two piece being superior for the bathroom.

Do you have a concept of what you're going for? A lot of people use a generator called mandomaker (easy to find on google) to plan up at least their color scheme. Even if you never sketch and think you're bad at drawing, a rough concept sketch will let us see what you're shooting for, and might help you work some things out too.

Also, do you need a quick runthrough on image posting? I'd be happy to explain it, or find the forums that have directions on it for you.

« Reply #12 on: Jun 26, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Do you have a concept of what you're going for? A lot of people use a generator called mandomaker (easy to find on google) to plan up at least their color scheme. Even if you never sketch and think you're bad at drawing, a rough concept sketch will let us see what you're shooting for, and might help you work some things out too.

Also, do you need a quick runthrough on image posting? I'd be happy to explain it, or find the forums that have directions on it for you.

I do have a concept, I will definitely check out mandomaker. That's awesome!

I think I remember how to post images but thank you for the offer and the information.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!