Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Lion's electronics corner

• 54 Replies
Re: Lion's electronics corner
« Reply #25 on: Oct 20, 2017, 06:24 PM »
That ammo counter is awesome! Exactly like something I hope to do. Want to customize sounds too and put in a blaster noise and reload charge.

Netra Kar

• What doesn't kill you gives you EXP
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Hi Lion!
I have the same 4 pin display and an arduino nano clone. Can you send me the code for the tramp please?

A'den Shevla

• "akaanir gar jate'kara"
  • Awards 40% increase or more Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:55 AM »
 :o

Im totally jealous about your skills. The Rangefinder LCD Display is totally awesome and give
your Kit a special detail, everybody is searching for.

If you gonna start to sale kind of this, give me a hint =)

Recon Brigade Member

LightningLion

• Electronics are my thing
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:24 PM »
:o

Im totally jealous about your skills. The Rangefinder LCD Display is totally awesome and give
your Kit a special detail, everybody is searching for.

If you gonna start to sale kind of this, give me a hint =)

IF I ever have a kit hahaha. I'm just too lazy for the path I chose (pepakura helmet).
In the last months I worked on a display that I'm very proud of, like 10 times better than the RangeFinder. Designed it for an MMCC member, hope we can finish it soon and show it to you all.
And it doesn't require that much of skill. Just knowing the basics of Arduino, hours in MS Paint drawing pixels (for real) and then transfer it to a more or less optimized program. The hardest part is to be creative enough to mix many different parts in one program (charts, bar graphs, drawings, etc) working at the same time.

I'd really like to have more time to sell/trade this for other cosplay pieces, but my job and main hobbies consume a ton of time.

« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2018, 12:17 PM by LightningLion » Logged

Rionu Custom Electronics for your Mandos
--->> Sales thread

WIP's: Post-Imperial costume. Nite Owl helmet.

Mundo Airsofter - Airsoft news & reviews

Thrantusix

• "One who is being hunted, should hunt the hunter"
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:39 AM »
AMAZING WORK!

ㄒ卄尺卂几ㄒㄩ丂丨乂
▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #30 on: Jul 06, 2018, 08:50 AM »
hey lion, I'm wanting to do a environmental pack that has different sensors like temperature and stuff that's gets displayed somehow, would Arduino and these displays work for that project?? thanks for any help!

If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger gun!

LightningLion

« Reply #31 on: Jul 07, 2018, 04:57 AM »
Yes, of course. But if you need to use multiple displays, you'll need each of those to have different addresses to send stuff to the propper one. I have yet to try that. Also, memory on the Arduino is another critical factor. Each drawing you want to display consumes a lot.

--->> Sales thread

LightningLion

« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Aliens Colonial Marine M41A pulse rifle SFX and light board.
One switch is for the trigger, and the other is for the inserted ammo box (that's why it need to be held down).
Althought not Star Wars related, learning how to work with LED's, segment displays and sound boards is always interesting for all blaster projects.

--->> Sales thread

LightningLion

« Reply #33 on: Oct 23, 2019, 04:27 AM »

Been a while since I last posted. Honestly, I got bored of the whole "bondo, sanding, you didn't get to fix it, repeat" and quitted working on my helmet. So in the spare-time I got on my job, I been learning a bit of Arduino coding. The idea is to make an app that controls everything on my hypothetical helmet from one of my gauntlets.
For that I'm using Bluetooth serial communication (big battery eater I guess) between my Android phone and an Arduino IDE compatible board (ESP32).

I know there aren't canon references of interior helmet lights, but it's a nice exercise to practice and I think it's cool à la Samus Aran helmet.
The app features a colour selector for the lights, brightness level and different animations (fixed colour, breathing effect and rainbow cycling).
The other feature is displaying videos, hardcoded testing, have yet to make it load them from a folder.

My ideas for the future:
-Servo rangefinder control.
-Setting up helmet fans.
-Controlling an OLED display like the ones I've posted before.
-Change everything to Bluetooth 4.0 (Bluetooth Low Energy/LE) for battery saving.

--->> Sales thread

« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2019, 07:44 PM »
Glad to see you like them :)

With a bar like that you could do something like

[Green]
[Green]
[Green]
[Green]
[Yellow]
[Yellow]
[Yellow]
[Red]
[Red]

Then as you click the "trigger" every X clicks turns off a light (top to bottom) to simulate an energy pack depleting. Then with a secondary button (perhaps at the bottom of the stock) it refills as if reloaded.

This has been on my list of things to try, and I really should order some more LEDs.... hmm I think I know what my next project will be come payday
could use magnets that transfer the power and signal to removable magazines with LEDs to do the count down for like a blaster?

LightningLion

« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2019, 05:21 AM »
Sure, why not. Thing like this exists afterall:

Another (cheaper) option would be using magnets for positioning, but having normal contacts pressed against each other.

--->> Sales thread

LightningLion

« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2020, 02:21 PM »

I want to share with you something that I made long ago but never remembered to post. If you like my stuff, I might consider doing comissions.

It's a gauntlet display for an U-Wing mando pilot.
There's a button to open/close the wings.
The display doesn't follow a fixed sequence, but uses randomly generated numbers instead.
Upper left simulates readings of the hyperdrive.
Upper-center is the ship designation (UT-60D) in mandalorian.
Mid-lef, the beskar diamond shows the shields level.
Bottom-left 2 "leds" show which side door is opened (this ship has repeating blasters on both sides).
Mid-right is for the overload of the cannons (designation KX7).

Periodically, the Arduino "rolls a die" to check if it's time to simulate a firefight. During combats, wings open (and sometimes doors) and Arduino keeps rolling dices to simulate impacts and lower the shields. Also the heating level on the KX7 cannons change independently.
After combat, shields regenerate and cannons cool down.

--->> Sales thread

Zahn Va'roth

• Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2020, 02:37 PM »
Hey! Would you be willing to sell the code, and any additional programming so I could buy the components and build my own?

LightningLion

« Reply #38 on: Jun 15, 2020, 06:14 PM »

I return a year later to the Android/Arduino project, covid got me some time to tinker. If you already saw the previous posts, you could skip the first demos.
What's new:
-Fan control. Concept works, final version will requiere some test & trials with hardware (fans, buck converters, etc).
-Servo control. 0, 90 and 180 degrees. Can control (not pictured) up to two servos, separately or at the same time.

Upcoming: Some servo parameter configuration, as each one is different.

--->> Sales thread

LightningLion

« Reply #39 on: Aug 22, 2020, 10:02 AM »

Have  you ever thought "Ok, that chest display is nice but I don't want to buy one for each animation"?
Well I did, and that's why this project started a while ago, and these past days I had some time to work on it again.

Please excuse the potato quality. I'm working 12h shifts in another country and that leaves me a good amount of time to program. That's also the reason you don't see 7 segment displays, 'cause I didn't feel like packing too much electronic stuff into the airplane.

So, to summarize: It's an Arduino with a micro SD slot where you put a file with the animation sequence in a file called sequence.ini.
To help everyone customizing the sequence of their choice I also made a simple Windows program that lets you toggle on/off the different elements, generates the sequence and then exports it to the .ini file.

Next step is making it with real 7 segment displays, then designing the electronic boards and finally, production.

I also made some extra progress on the Arduino/Android app: Now I'm able to input servo's specs and define to which degrees the rear, up and front buttons will move the servos.

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2020, 10:17 AM by LightningLion » Logged

--->> Sales thread

LightningLion

« Reply #40 on: Oct 18, 2020, 02:25 PM »

A quick onde-day build to learn how to use fonts with displays. It eats a great amount of an Arduino's memory, no wonder why MandoPuter uses more powerful boards.
A colored 1.15" display (pre-Beskar gauntlet) or 1.3" (Beskar gauntlet) would look better, but this was dirt cheap (under 20$).

And in other news, I finished designing the board for the customizable Fett Chest display and is now in production. Will post updates in a few weeks.

--->> Sales thread

LightningLion

« Reply #41 on: Oct 25, 2020, 02:34 PM »

Turns out not all symbols on Din's gauntlet are from Mando'a, so using fonts isn't an option... Anyway, after re-watching frame by frame multiple scenes I came to the conclusion that, while the character combination stays the same, the time and order of the sequence is totally random (or at least impossible for me to find those without looking at the real prop). So here's my attempt of a more accurate display.

--->> Sales thread

LightningLion

« Reply #42 on: Oct 27, 2020, 01:43 PM »

I stand corrected! Actually the Mando'a alphabet got a bit of a redesign for Clone Wars, so after finding the new font online (thanks AurekFonts!) I redid the characters and here's the V1.1. I'll probably make a run of these.

--->> Sales thread

Arduino nano on mando puter
« Reply #43 on: Feb 16, 2021, 01:38 AM »
Hi, can someone point me in the right direction? I have been searching for code to use arduino nano on my mando computer gauntlet. used the search button trying to find a path but I can't find one.

Thanks

LightningLion

Re: Arduino nano on mando puter
« Reply #44 on: Feb 23, 2021, 04:08 PM »
Hi, can someone point me in the right direction? I have been searching for code to use arduino nano on my mando computer gauntlet. used the search button trying to find a path but I can't find one.

Thanks

For displays, electriFi thread has tutorials and examples.
And for the mando gauntlet, you can follow Breazile/s MandoPuter tutorial.

In other news, I finally finished the customizable chest display, super proud!

--->> Sales thread

LightningLion

« Reply #45 on: Aug 04, 2021, 05:58 AM »

So... I finally got a helmet that I'm moderately happy with it and started putting electronics inside. This is just an Arduino with a servo (MG90S) and a magnetic sensor (KY-003). With a magnet in the tip of your finger you activate the sensor and alternate the positions of the servo. It's very close to what we see on mandalorian S2.

This feature will be added to my biggest WiP: The MandoSuite (better name pending). A central unit to control all the electronics inside my helmet.
In addition to the control via the Android app I've shown before, now I'm adding communication with an Arduino in the glove to control the servo and other things. That would be great for Fett style gauntlets or other custom builds without having to use a smartphone.

--->> Sales thread

Fabian

• The guy on the bounty puk is not me I promise
« Reply #46 on: Aug 04, 2021, 09:18 AM »
So cool

This is the way
Mando name : Azrud Shurd
Up to date WIP: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=207106.msg2255614#msg2255614
« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2022, 08:45 AM »
I know this is pretty old, but I had to ask; is your android app available anywhere? I'd love to use the motion graphics screens in the future.

LightningLion

« Reply #48 on: Feb 01, 2022, 09:42 AM »
I know this is pretty old, but I had to ask; is your android app available anywhere? I'd love to use the motion graphics screens in the future.

Hi Zam. The graphics in the Android app are placeholders, they're actually videos I downloaded from Youtube.
This was one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feJcW3n0cTQ
The other I can't find it right now but I think it was Aliens inspired.

The project isn't finished yet as for the last months I've been focused on my Beskar, both armor and a big mythosaur skull.

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2022, 11:09 AM by LightningLion » Logged

--->> Sales thread

« Reply #49 on: Feb 01, 2022, 11:05 AM »
Ok! Thanks so much! Hope your armor has gone well!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!