Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rigging blaster for sound that already has lights

• 2 Replies

Kalrir

• OM#1671
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Rigging blaster for sound that already has lights
« on: Jul 08, 2017, 02:07 PM »
I recently enlisted the help of a couple friends for my first foray into electronics to create a blaster with lights and sounds. It was quite the learning experience, and we successfully installed the lights running off of a 9 volt battery. From here, we're hoping to adapt this to also creating a simple blaster sound when the trigger is pulled. However, this was foreign territory and we possibly fried an old hasbro e-11 board in the process? Thus, I turn to you good people.

I was interested in following after some of the threads before that used the Adafruit components. I initially thought I would only need the board and speaker, after assurances that we could achieve appropriate wattage by removing some of the 1.9w LEDs (which we had increased to five from two to, as I understand, better bear the load of the 9 volt?), but it looks like we might also need the mono amp as well?

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated! Also open to suggestions for alternative sound setups.

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2017, 03:11 PM by Kalrir » Logged

Fi-8015

• Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Rigging blaster for sound that already has lights
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2017, 05:27 AM »
From what I see on the page you will either need an active speaker or amplifier.

I hope you know:
needs a 3 to 5.5VDC battery
You will either need to switch to different batteries or use a DC converter.

Further I would suggest to use one LED with the corresponding resistor instead of 5.

Calculate it with this Formula:

R=U/I

U=Usupply-ULED

Assuming it is a 1,9V LED with a current of 20mA and you connect it to 9V, you would need a resistor with 355 Ohm. Next common value is 390 Ohm.

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2017, 05:17 PM by Fi-8015 » Logged
Resin helmets for sale in the Trading Station

electriFi - Mando Electronics English / German

Legion

• Good, bad...I'm the guy with guns on my wrists.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Rigging blaster for sound that already has lights
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Hard for me to tell without seeing everything assembled. I have recently done similar work, transferring NERF Star Wars sound boards into custom guns and converting them from 3~4.5V alkaline batteries to 5V USB power banks. Added trigger LEDs to one of them. Key is definitely limiting your voltage so you don't burn out components.

| MMCC #0058 | Trendsetter: The original coated Mando.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!