Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Teacher to Mando: a WIP

• 43 Replies
Re: Teacher to Mando: a WIP
« Reply #25 on: Jul 22, 2017, 10:42 AM »
Very nice indeed.

How about a metallic shade in the yellow/red spectrum, Gold, bronze or copper all work with blues really nicely.

I will have to say I second Kris, because the same thought popped into my head when I read your post.  Here's a photo of Navy, Mint, Gray, and Copper together:

This was just a quick photo I found to help you visualize the idea, haha, sorry it's party decorations! :laugh:
Whatever you choose, since you might not want to buy more paint, I think it would look great whichever way you decide to go.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #26 on: Jul 24, 2017, 04:10 PM »
Oh those color's look nice together. Great suggestion :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

girrox211

• Helmet on. Heart Gone.
« Reply #27 on: Jul 29, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Why weren't my teachers this cool! I love the concept as well as the color choice. I can't wait to see where this goes!

« Reply #28 on: Jul 30, 2017, 08:22 PM »
Im back!
 I'm hoping that this adventure will get me some cool points from my kiddos (which I meet in almost 12 days), haha! Summer break is about over :-(

Made a little progress today....

The color is slightly off...I was so excited how it turned out and couldn't wait to post it that I should have taken better photos. I also have not removed the toothpaste to reveal all the weathering.

I also think I'm going to leave the ear caps navy for the time being. I LOVED the gold idea though!! But I'm running out of time and I think they look alright as is for awhile.

I've also found a place that sells PVC Foam board and hope to buy some in a couple days...which means I'm getting ready to start armor!!! Yippee! I really really want Legacy Armor....so any of you ladies have a recommended template I should/could use?? ...many thanks in advance!

;D ;D ;D

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #29 on: Jul 30, 2017, 10:06 PM »
I'm glad that you're so satisfied with your paint job! <3 It really looks great. I wish I knew more about female legacy plates, but I'm excited for what you'll come up with.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #30 on: Jul 31, 2017, 06:00 AM »
Due to each of us being different sizes (shoulder, bust, waist and height) templates for fem Legacy are near to useless, they usually need so much modification its not worth the hassle, so it often works out easier to just draft your own from scratch.

First, make sure you are wearing your Mando bra (I keep one in my box for kit wear only as wearing a different one can throw plates off) and your vest. Then I tend to put on my cod/loincloth and sash (or if not yet made, mark off how much room they will need so that they are at the waist rather than hanging off the hips and the cod is nice and visible not just the tiniest little sliver of colour. Then if you pop over to this link: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=79340.0 as they made pictures of the method I use. Masking tape over one side of the vest and just draw your templates on. You can that way make sure the collar is snug against the neck, the chest plates curve round the sides of the bust without lifting and that the ab plate isn't being squished into a tiny space at the bottom or pushing the waist items down too much. You may find depending on bust size and how fitted your vest is that the chest plate actually ends on the bust and the top of the ab is over the bust - that's not a problem, all of my armour does that as I have a shorter torso.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #31 on: Nov 26, 2017, 08:42 PM »
Hi everybody!! It’s been awhile and I’m sorry for the break in progress, you know, life happens...more accurately, work happens!  :o , haha!

But I’ve been busy over the thanksgiving break and wanted to post some progress....chest armor!

Left side:

Right Side:

***Still gonna work on the shoulder top strap to make lay flat...and need to trim sides to look more “in line” together.

Any other advice anyone has???

TIA!  8)

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #32 on: Nov 27, 2017, 05:58 AM »
Looking a little long to me. The bottom of the plates are sitting over the edge of the vest, plus once you put the cod plate and the sash/girth on you'll likely be overlapping the bottom lames. I'd take an inch off the bottom of the chest plate and pull all the ab lames upwards.

And from a comfort point of view, I found that putting the collar underneath the chest gives a little more movement.

Other than that, looking good

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

pyromastermuaddib

• Dark Smokepuncher
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #33 on: Nov 27, 2017, 08:32 AM »
Kit is looking great! You mentioned all the issues I spotted, chest/ collar armor needs a bit of shaping and ab armor needs trimming, but it's the right size and you are on the right track. Vest needs a bit of adjustment, but again, overall it looks like you're on point with it as well. I love the design and color scheme.

It was mentioned in the thread, but you if you could get a second set of your leggings you could use them to make sleeves for your top.

My only concern with the kit right now is in the sketch it looks like you have wraps instead of gauntlets. You do need some form of hard armor for your forearms. If you like the wrap look you can use them as a mounting for bracers.

I would just like everyone to know that I suck... And that I'm a girl... And I like ribbons in my hair... And I want to kiss all the boys.
« Reply #34 on: Nov 27, 2017, 11:21 PM »
Okay, I took your recommendations and made some adjustments tonight...I will post pics at the bottom. I want to address some of your observations first....so, pyromastermuaddib, you said:
... Vest needs a bit of adjustment, but again, overall it looks like you're on point with it as well. I love the design and color scheme. It was mentioned in the thread, but you if you could get a second set of your leggings you could use them to make sleeves for your top.
My only concern with the kit right now is in the sketch it looks like you have wraps instead of gauntlets. You do need some form of hard armor for your forearms. If you like the wrap look you can use them as a mounting for bracers.

1. I'm curious, how exactly does my vest need adjustment? I'm eager to make changes, but I'm not sure exactly what needs fixing...?
2. I should have explained, but the leggings in yesterday's pic were just some I was wearing while I was working (they are super comfy), they are not the leggings I will use in my kit. The pics I post tonight will include the navy long sleeve turtleneck shirt, flak vest, and navy leggings which I will all wear as a part of my kit. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
3. Yes, I need to adjust my kit from my original sketch. When I drew the sketch I was intimidated as to how to create gauntlets, so instead of being overzealous I kept the sketch minimal. I must have hard armor on my forearms like you reminded me, so when I get to that stage I will include some form of forearm armor. :-D
4. Thanks so much for your advice and encouragement! Keep it coming! :- )

Kris Jasra, you said:
Looking a little long to me. The bottom of the plates are sitting over the edge of the vest, plus once you put the cod plate and the sash/girth on you'll likely be overlapping the bottom lames. I'd take an inch off the bottom of the chest plate and pull all the ab lames upwards.

And from a comfort point of view, I found that putting the collar underneath the chest gives a little more movement...

1. I made major adjustments using your input! I cut off an inch from the chest plates (as suggested), shaped/trimmed the collar (as suggested), layered the chest pieces on top of the collar piece (loved that idea!), and did some major trimming on the ab pieces (as suggested).
2. I didn't really attempt to re-mold the chest pieces tonight...I really think I need to attend an armor party and get a pro to help me. I realized tonight I'm unable to cross my arms (which is kinda important i guess), but I'm not sure if that could be fixed by re-shaping some or trimming. This is why I'd prefer to work with someone in person....unless you think it looks good as is (although I'd still want to adjust to allow for me to cross my arms of course).

Here are the results from tonight's work....

Collar Piece area:

Chest Armor, pic 1:

Chest Armor, pic 2:

Right Side view:

Left Side view:

I've also realized that my daily chocolate indulgences and coke-cola habits have caught up with me cause those side profiles are not flattering at all! lol  ???  #embarrassingbutIneedthehelp

Again, I'm so grateful for any advice and help you have to offer! Thanks so much!

Drake

• OM #0047 ¦ BVC ¦ Merc Veteran '07
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 50 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #35 on: Nov 28, 2017, 12:38 AM »
Left Side view:

I know I've been helping via Ashley through Messages, but now I'll chime in here since you posted updates.

That is looking wonderful! The changes you've made have definitely made a difference, and once you get the paint and weathering applied it will look just like the references you mentioned before.

I quoted the above image to offer one final suggestion, as I believe your plates are where they need to be based on design and fit. My suggestion is to trim that chest corner that's under your armpits, if it isn't necessary to your design. This will save you a few gouges in the future. I had to do the same when I had Legacy armor. I just took the corner off and made it angular (as can be seen on Ashley's armor) to facilitate the design. ;)

You are doing great so far!

« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2017, 12:41 AM by Drake » Logged
[PAGES 1-7 DETAIL ZABRAK MANDO, 7-∞ DETAIL STEEL LEGACY] : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=38505.90
Drake Manufacturing: https://www.facebook.com/DrakeMfg/

Kris Jasra

« Reply #36 on: Nov 28, 2017, 05:41 AM »
Much better. :D

Vest is looking fine to me, I can't see how it needs adjusting.

I'd see if the collar can be shifted back up a little - blue marking is about the amount of overlap you want, which gives pretty much exactly the right amount to bring the collar back to your neck line. (Given that amount is so spot on I have a feeling that it slipping down a little too far at the moment is mostly taping issues)
And for movement, my legacy set is trimmed back to about where I've marked in red and I can reach my opposite shoulder.

pyromastermuaddib

• Dark Smokepuncher
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #37 on: Nov 28, 2017, 02:23 PM »
You are absolutely correct, I missed the most recent shots of the vest, it looks fantastic. Don't forum while at work kids  :-[

I would just like everyone to know that I suck... And that I'm a girl... And I like ribbons in my hair... And I want to kiss all the boys.

Raene

• Former MMO gamer. DragonCon attendee, seamstress,
« Reply #38 on: Apr 22, 2018, 06:38 AM »
I've really enjoyed reading this. I'm a teacher too (elementary/primary)

Do you have other pics for your WIP since Nov?

“Let me slip into something a little more blaster-resistant."
« Reply #39 on: Apr 22, 2018, 11:52 PM »
Commenting to follow, this is looking great so far and I'd love to see more as well!

I've also learned a lot from reading through this thread  :)

« Reply #40 on: Apr 23, 2018, 01:04 AM »
Hi guys!

It has definitely been awhile since I’ve updated my WIP. I attended my first ever Mando AP back in January and got SO MUCH HELP!! Gah, I’m still stoked at how my chest and armor pieces have turned out. Big shout out to Loren again for his help that day.  ;D

Sadly, I must share that I’ve been super distracted from my Mando with work (obviously, duh  :laugh:) but also with my TK build. I’ve spent the last 3.5 months trying to complete an ANH stunt stormtrooper and I haven’t picked up my Mando :-(  This TK build has been super frustrating (even though I’ve had amazing friends guide me). I’m literally hanging over the finish line with it but the GML continually finds some tiny insignificant detail he kicks back to be adjusted which is keeping me from approval. Anyway, once that kit to totally done....I’m setting my sights on finishing my Mando!! Honestly, I’m so excited to pick it up again after dealing with the constraints from the 501st....I’ve missed having  the creative flexibility that comes with a Mandalorian build. 

We have exactly 25 school/work days left and then I’m free!!!! Until August 3rd of course when school starts back....but the plan is now to complete my Mando by mid summer. *fingers crossed*

Thanks to all of my followers and all of you who’ve taken time out to read my thread, I really appreciate it! Next time I hope to have some pics to share! :-D

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #41 on: Apr 23, 2018, 01:11 AM »
Know the feeling :)  fair game to post a pic of your TK when you feel like it too :)    Look forward to the rest of your build!

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #42 on: Apr 29, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the progress you made back in JANUARY!   :P  I get that life and work happens.  It's irritating.  heh  But I'm really glad you're still working on your kit.  Even if you did ditch it for a TK.   8)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #43 on: Mar 09, 2021, 02:11 PM »
 this is looking great so far and I'd love to see more as well

« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2021, 02:15 PM by emilyakbb » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!