Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Darkstar armour build - 2x Medics

• 1 Replies
Darkstar armour build - 2x Medics
« on: Jun 15, 2017, 02:50 PM »
Hi, as mentioned in the title I'm doing a double Medic build - my good lady and I both work in healthcare so it seems appropriate.  (I'm also working on a kit upgrade for our 8 year old, so some pics of that will pop up in this thread as well).

***WARNING: PIC HEAVY!!***

Initial concept came out like this,  with the second kit planned to go along similar lines but substituting purple for the green:

The ammo pouches were made using cardboard which I then wrapped in pleather:

The pouch tops were made from a folded strip of pleather, glued in place and secured on the front with tiny magnets, before being threaded onto the belts - the adult ones were just cheap purchases, but little Sam's was made from pleather and a backpack clip:

I picked up a set of surplus RAF coveralls online, and after the arms and legs were tailored in it now looks like this when paired with the belt and some boots I found on Amazon:

I made girth belts out of burlap sacking and some 550 paracord, and here's how mine looks:

I don't think it's deep enough, so further work is needed...

Weapon-wise while She Who Must Be Obeyed would like pistols, I'm going for something a little more...substantial.  So that's a pair of Westar 34s and a Relby V10 to put together.  The pistols started out as the ones from the WoF Jango template series, which I then altered slightly.  I wanted to make an unmatched pair, with a bit of a backstory about a Medic whose mentor was killed and that she now bore her weapon as well as her own in tribute.  The grips are made from a 12mm sandwich of MDF, the barrels are PVC pipe, and I used bottletops from a wellknown brand of fruit drink for the muzzles. A load of P38 and sanding later, they were primed and painted, first in silver and then after masking in black.  The pads on the grips are 3mm foamex:

And then in a spare hour or so I knocked up a pair of holsters to take them, leaving as much of the pistols themselves on-show:

The Relby began life as two BB guns, which were cut apart as shown, then stuck together:

I added PVC pipe barrels (there's two), the ends from a shower rail as the sights, stuck on some greeblies and ended up with this:

See the red and green? That was the result of some in-depth advice from my Clan Ruus'alors.  Changes were therefore made, adding foamex boxes to smooth the join between the original guns, attaching the magazine underneath, and a lot of filling/sanding which after priming left this:

Silver paint, masking, black paint and then pads added to the stock which are in my armour colour has left me with this:

And finally (for now) the buckets. We started out with two polyurethane casts in Deathwatch style, although they didn't stay like that.  We went for Legacy cuts on the visors, because of the improved visibility.  Once they'd been drawn, cut and the keyslots cut out we were left with these:

Fill, sand, fill, sand etc, then primer, masking and white paint:

And finally with the T-visors cut from welding masks and attached using hot glue, and with more masking, final colour and weathering applied:

So next on the list are the flak vests, which are partly done now, plus improving my girth belt...more to follow soon (I hope!)

Sorry for the huge post, but I hope you like the way I'm going!

My philosophy: patch the holes in ours, while making bigger holes in theirs...
Re: Darkstar armour build - 2x Medics
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2017, 11:38 AM »
Time for an update. I've switched to Imgur from P/Bucket so at least the pics should work now!

I've cut out my plate templates, these are the 5'9 Jango WoF templates:

I know the spacing is a little off but you get the idea - I've already had the suggestion that my collar is too high (needs to come down for comfort), plus it needs to extend down to close the gap a bit between the lower collar edge and upper chest plate edges.

Any other guidance would be much appreciated  :)

My philosophy: patch the holes in ours, while making bigger holes in theirs...

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!