Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Cutting ABS sheet inquiry

• 6 Replies

Salamander

• Awards 40% increase or more
Cutting ABS sheet inquiry
« on: Jul 15, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Hey vode quick question on plastic cutting. Which process is the best for cutting armor out of an abs sheet. I'd like to try to stay away from rotary tools mainly of concern of warping the material. So would score and snapping be practical for the peices with a curve etc. TIA!

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Cutting ABS sheet inquiry
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2017, 08:49 PM »
How thick is your ABS?

Salamander

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2017, 08:52 PM »
3mm

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2017, 08:59 PM »
Should be good to go.  Although my experience is with 3mm Sintra.  My advice would be to lay out your templates, and then find a corner that's unusable and cut a test curve there.  Or... do it all with a jig saw, leave it a little big, and sand to the line.  If you have a scrollsaw or a bandsaw, those are options too.

Salamander

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2017, 09:11 PM »
Awesome! Good stuff vod, I appreciate it, I'll definitely look into the jig saw thank you!

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2017, 09:49 AM »
Before you start cutting all of your templates out I would suggest getting a test piece and see how it reacts to heat shaping.
My experience of ABS is that it has shrunk when heated, which would potentially cause issues when trying to shape your armor.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Salamander

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2017, 03:03 PM »
I appreciate that heads up!! I'll definitely cut larger then just sand down to my correct measurements if need be!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!