Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jango 2 Piece help needed

• 11 Replies
Jango 2 Piece help needed
« on: Jul 16, 2017, 08:44 AM »
Hello, about 2 years ago I followed a WOF template to make a scratch build helmet that I refuse to post photos of.  I decided to have another crack at a helmet this year and have bought a 2 piece Jango Fett Rubies. 

I know that I need to fill the crack, screw sections, and cap joints as well as replace the visor (if I am forgetting anything please let us know).  Just looking for any tips in general, but especially for the filling process and painting, never used filling before nor painted a helmet.  I have looked for a J2P tutorial, heard there was a good one with all the steps photographed, but the only one I found required you to have a photo bucket subscription for the photos, which cost more than the bucket itself.  Any advice, or just links to tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Jango 2 Piece help needed
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2017, 01:07 PM »
Yeah, photo bucket just changed their user agreement and broke a lot of threads on here.  A lot of missing knowledge now.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2017, 09:04 PM »
Before you start any work you may want to put on the helmet, get a pic, and post it for opinions on sizing.

Also...
Tutorials

"Alta's Bucket" has J2P instructions and some pictures are a little down the page.

And there are several paint tutorials at the bottom of the page.

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2017, 11:37 PM »
Before you start any work you may want to put on the helmet, get a pic, and post it for opinions on sizing.

Also...
Tutorials

"Alta's Bucket" has J2P instructions and some pictures are a little down the page.

And there are several paint tutorials at the bottom of the page.

Thank you.
The actual helmet is being shipped at the moment so won't have it for two weeks, but when I do I will check sizing. Thanks for the link don't know how I hadn't stumbled across it, should be a major help.

Also does it matter if it isn't bondo that is used? I have some septone car filler lying around and if this would work I would probably opt that way. Is bondo just the most common and any car filler would work or... ?

Thanks again.

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2017, 12:05 AM »
Any filler will work. 

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2017, 01:11 AM »
As Vemon says.  Brand doesn't matter as long as it's sturdy.  Wood putty could theoretically be used except that it'd easily crack and separate.  I've used Bondo and JB Weld on J2Ps I've worked on, and they both did the job.

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2017, 11:27 AM »
I know that I need to fill the crack, screw sections, and cap joints as well as replace the visor (if I am forgetting anything please let us know).  Just looking for any tips in general, but especially for the filling process and painting, never used filling before nor painted a helmet.  I have looked for a J2P tutorial, heard there was a good one with all the steps photographed, but the only one I found required you to have a photo bucket subscription for the photos, which cost more than the bucket itself.  Any advice, or just links to tutorials would be greatly appreciated.

I've got two different WIPs on my blog that the owners of those helmets haven't posted on the forums yet.

Robert's bucket WIP.

Korbin's bucket WIP.

Both are/were Verd'ika at the time, so quality may not be up to standards (CRLs).  I personally would suggest buying a better helmet for the $100-150 range.  Less time and money in the long run, but works if you are on a budget.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 85
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2017, 05:12 PM »
Thanks Darth_Vemon and OriKad for the tips on the filler, good to know I am safe to use what I've got.

Also Karl Dha'Werda Both of the links were great with photos, so thank you! I am saving for a costly investment at the moment so can't really afford the $100-150 on the bucket alone, but if in future I make another I will remember that tip.

« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2017, 05:39 PM »
Mine isn't completed, but it'll give you an idea on some ways to brace it. My only tip is to get the helmet as stiff/sturdy as possibly to reduce ALL flex before using a filler. I actually put a hard epoxy along the ENTIRE seem so there is nothing to crack out of the... crack.
I've found that a 2-part epoxy dries rock solid, where-as E6000 dries to a rubbery solid.... so i use both, but switch depending what is needed. For example, 2 part when using very thin "for sale sign plastic" or the E6000 to join something more sturdy (wooden craft rings). if its a surface that will be sanded/painted... I use the 2part.
Also, try to keep the "mandibles" as straight as possible.... mine started to flare forward when I removed the original visor. I'll be bracing them straight before going any further with visor mounting.
I bought some jewelers files from amazon for $5-$10 which help GREATLY with keeping the recesses crisp and 90deg angles on in the brow rim after epoxying.
Cap joints don't NEED to be filled.... but they can't be gaping either. Ear caps that sit flush and nice are perfectly fine being separate pieces from the helmet. Many prefer that to aid in upgrades later, changing range finder, or repair to range finder. Others like the simplicity of simply gluing them on, putty/filler and being done.
The one bit of advice I get over and over in my thread.... PREP FOR PAINT. Apparently J2Ps aren't thrilled to be painted and tend to reject the new look.

I should be putting up another update soon...mainly more bracing and "parts collecting", along with cut-out visor (hoped to mount it before my next update until I saw the flared mandibles).
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=126206.0

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2017, 05:44 PM »
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=36674.0

Here's how I modified my J2P. I've had that helmet for years. I love it.

ORI’RAMIKAD 2020 | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736
« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2017, 08:32 AM »
Thanks chevy42083 and Tek Sa'an. Both of those links look like they will be really helpful. Also thanks for that epoxy tip for the crack, last thing I want is that seam coming out after a while.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone, it is always good to hear from those who have gone before.

« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2017, 06:57 AM »
I'm actually working on the the Boba 3 Piece. But I did remember those tutorial during my research and thought you might want to see them.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!