Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kath's New Scratch Build Helmet

• 7 Replies

Kath Gra'tuur

• Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Kath's New Scratch Build Helmet
« on: Jun 19, 2017, 05:57 PM »
Hello vods!

So I am starting work on a third scratch build bucket.  I did not finish bucket number one as I had used a hard hat for the dome and it wound up being too small for my noggin.  (I have a big head.) 

I “finished” bucket number two, but due to cosmetic problems with it (scratches and numerous blemishes) and that it was actually too wide (looked like a “bobble head”), I was never going to use it as my app bucket.  So I am now working on a third scratch build bucket.  (Eventually I will spend the money and get a nice helmet, in the meantime. . .).  I have actually taken apart bucket number two.  (This pained me a bit as I was somewhat proud of it even though I was not going to use it.)  Here is a picture of what that looked like before demolition. 

I am using the dome from that helmet as my base.  It was a child’s bike helmet.  I took out the inside padding, leaving just the plastic shell.  It had vent holes on the top, so I took PVC, heat formed them, and glued those to the inside.

Once I had that PVC in place on the underside, I took bondo and filled in the holes, sanded, filled, sanded, filled, until I had a smooth surface on top. Here is a picture of the dome now.  I have sanded it down to remove the paint I had on it.  I will be sanding it some more to get as much of that off as possible. 

I am using the WOF Boba Fett templates as my guide.  I am using two buckets to give me the inner and out surface for the helmet.  For the inner surface, I had a bucket from Jason’s Deli.  (They catered a meal for us and brought water bottles in a bucket.)  I’m not sure where they got the bucket, but it was a much better bucket that what you can get from Lowe’s, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc.  It is a good deal thicker and sturdier.  I am using it for the inner layer.  I did not do a before picture of that bucket, but here are pictures of what is left of the bucket and my inner surface. 

(Note: I sanded both of my buckets inside and out before I made any cuts.  It’s much easier to sand before rather than later when you have pieces that you are trying to sand.)

You will see along the top, I have about ½ to ¾” of an inch above my line.  I am doing this as the last time, I got stuck with almost not having enough across the top and having to come up with ways to make it work.  This time, I am hoping that having the extra across the top allows me cut it down to where I want it and will hopefully give me a smooth, clean top outer shell.

Here are some pictures of the outer shell attached to the dome.  I am using #6 metal screws and bolts with a drill hole.  The screw heads are low profile and will be easily covered with the outer layer that will be glued on top.  Once I have all the top screws in place, I will trim down the top “line” of the outer shell with a dremel to give me my top line of the helmet.  On the back, there is a little space where the outer shell meets.  My plan is to have a trim that goes across the top.  Part of that trim will be a piece that comes down and covers the seam.  I will use this a means of holding the two sides together as well as a place to put my vent hole.  (Most likely I am going to put an additional piece of plastic on the inside for extra support to hold the two sides together). 

For my outer layers, I am using a bucket from Walmart.   (Again, I sanded first before making any cuts).  I am doing a modified version of the WOF template.  I am using the “assassin” style lines of sharp angles instead of the curved cheek bones.  I am also using leaving the bottom section of the visor connected (similar to the Executioner).  I wanted to do this to give a little different look as well as to help hold the t-visor and front plate together.  (In my other two builds, this caused problems later as the mandibles spread apart more than I wanted).

Here are pictures of the second bucket and the t-visor cut out.   

More to come later.  I will try to post more of the inner surface later.

Also, I am looking for suggestions on "ear alternatives."  I want to try and keep the bucket narrow and streamlined.  The ears on the other bucket I think caused to look too wide as well.  Any thoughts on how to create maybe a flatter ear would be appreciated. 

« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2017, 10:31 AM by Drek'ar Ventress » Logged
Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

Bes'uliik Clan -  Tennessee  OM #2107

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Kath's New Scratch Build Helmet
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2017, 12:29 PM »
3d printed low profile earcaps might be a good way, or single layer of 6 mm with the edges sanded at an angle.

QMU#084

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2017, 09:51 PM »
Some updated pictures.  I have been gluing (E6000) on the t-visor plate to the front.  I am trying to be tedious to get the result that I want.  I also have a picture of the back of the helmet.  I am planning on making a rectangular extension that will drop down from the trim that will cover the gap.  This will also be part of the key  hole slot. 

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2017, 06:56 PM »
Here are some more updates to the helmet.  I have been working on the back of the helmet.  I have glued on the trim and cut out a spot for the keyhole.  I am trying to be very careful so that I have to use as little bondo as possible when I get to that point. 

Here is the keyhole that I am also working on.  I am trying to get the slots shaped better.

Additionally, this is the idea I have for my earcap.  It is thin and streamlined.  The little rectangle thing is just a greeblie I have.  The hole has a recycled speaker cover.  This will allow for ventilation and hearing.  I need to clean up the edges.  I will have a mirror version for the other side.

Update: I have a modified keyhole vent that I am playing around with.  I had an old monitor that had a vent on the back.  I cut it down and am looking at using it in the keyhole.  Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2017, 06:18 PM by kathkandar » Logged

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2017, 05:41 PM »
Been a couple of weeks since I updated.  I have been working on my helmet off and on.  I have the cheeks and face pieces glued in.  I am currently working on attaching my ear pieces.  I will post some more pictures this weekend.  In the meantime, here are some pics of the cheeks installed.  I have a bit of sanding to do as well. 

Update: Saturday, 7/15:

Okay, here are some more pictures of what I have been able to accomplish with the helmet. 

Here is a picture of the vent on the back.  I have it now glued in place.  It needs a bit of sanding and bondo to clean up some edges. 

I have glued in the cheeks and the face pieces on both sides.  They are glued in from the back side with E6000.  Additionally I have attached my custom made ear pieces.  They are attached with a layer of E6000 and 3/4" machine screws with a nut on the inside to keep it flush with the helmet. 

As you will see, the screw heads are showing on the ear pieces.  My original thought was to cover them with bondo or filler and make them appear as flat as possible.  Then I had the idea of covering them with keys off an old keyboard.  When I played with it, I liked the look, so here they are: E6000 (tacked on with hot glue that will be removed). 

« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2017, 03:39 PM by kathkandar » Logged

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2017, 07:57 AM »
Looks like you'll be done soon!

QMU#084

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2017, 09:43 AM »
Looks like you'll be done soon!

Thanks! It's coming along much better than previous buckets. I've got the first coat of primer on. It revealed several spots that need help. I've got some filler on it today and go to sanding again tomorrow.  :)

Kath Gra'tuur

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2017, 04:30 PM »
Modified Sunday, 8/6:

Main paint scheme completed with touch ups done.  I will also be doing a black wash to make it match the rest of my armor.  I also need to put in the permenent visor along with fans. 

Also this is the inside of my helmet.  You can see where the two layers of plastic are where I installed the outer tvisor area with a separate piece of plastic.  The white plastic is on the inside (recessed).  The blue is the outer layer.  I plan on installing the visor in the next few days.  Should I cut the visor to fit snug on the blue plastic even to be almost even with the white? If so, what is the best way to install in this scenario? Glue? Something attached from behind to hold it place? Thoughts?

Update: Wednesday 8/9:

I have finished the outside of my bucket!  Final painting and weathering is complete.  I have installed the visor.  All I have left at this point is on the inside now. I am making some "clips" to hold the visor in place from the inside.  I am also installing fans on both sides, using the "vents" on the side to suck in fresh air.  :-)  Once I have the electronics installed, I will probably brush some of the silver paint to give the inside the metallic look as well. 

« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2017, 10:34 AM by kathkandar » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!