Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

What color should the visor be? (Red paint scheme)

Gold reflective
2 (22.2%)
Blue reflective
4 (44.4%)
Black
3 (33.3%)
Another color
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: Oct 12, 2017, 02:11 PM

VALORS' GAZE *PIC HEAVY* (Vassk Coldcast Helmet)

• 27 Replies

Yolah Hyperion

• "Speak softly and carry a heavy blaster"
VALORS' GAZE *PIC HEAVY* (Vassk Coldcast Helmet)
« on: Aug 09, 2017, 01:53 PM »

Su cuy'gar Vode!
This will be my second and successful helmet WIP.

THEN:
Last year around the time of moving into my own apartment and finally having the opportunity to begin painting my helmet, I learned a great many things and multiple reasons, why it is most important to test ones paints before starting that process. Unfortunately I ended up permanently damaging my NME Stalker and at this point in time, it does not seem savable, but one can hope!

NOW:
On a positive note though I did order a brand new shiny coldcast helmet from Vassk! This was a difficult decision as I was unsure what helmet would be appropriate for me, nevertheless the right choice was made here.

My lovely Wife gave me the choice to choose my anniversary gift and well  :laugh: I decided on a helmet! Now this did come from across the world and still made it within a little over a week timeframe.

Once it arrived, I immediately knew what it was once the front office called and notified me that a package from Poland had arrived.

You can't see it but I have a ear to ear grin behind the helmet.

Rather enthusiastic to begin the work to be done on this beautiful helmet!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:30 AM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged
"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises."
Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora

girrox211

• Helmet on. Heart Gone.
Re: Vassk Coldcast Helmet
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2017, 10:13 PM »
Wow that is definitely  relationship goals you and your wife are  :P I can't even get my boyfriend to get into the mercs  :laugh:

I'm a huge sucker for this mold! The cheeks are just killer and the mold its self is super clean.

Can't wait to see where this goes!

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2017, 11:46 PM »
Honestly, I'm torn on who I'm ordering my next bucket from.
I love my NiteOwl, but PJ doesn't make them anymore, and LoneWolf is a member of my clan... But Vassk's helmets are a thing of beauty.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2017, 07:27 AM »
Wow that is definitely  relationship goals you and your wife are  :P I can't even get my boyfriend to get into the mercs  :laugh:

I'm a huge sucker for this mold! The cheeks are just killer and the mold its self is super clean.

Can't wait to see where this goes!

Honestly, I'm torn on who I'm ordering my next bucket from.
I love my NiteOwl, but PJ doesn't make them anymore, and LoneWolf is a member of my clan... But Vassk's helmets are a thing of beauty.

Girrox211-
 Make no mistake my wife has little to nothing to do with the mercs  :laugh: she just kinda lets me do it and wonders why but I tell her its what I love so she goes with it  ;D
I really like the angles of it, they really are perfect, I haven't pulled out any measuring tools to see if its off by 0.0000025 of an inch  :laugh: even if it was I would not care. The paint scheme I have planned should be pretty unique!

Straka-
I know how much you love your night owl Vod! As far as getting another helmet I would sway towards looking for another NiteOwl if you can find one or if that doesn't work then probably putting both names in your helmet, about 20 times each and after drawing out a name 10 times that's who I would go with, because that decision is a very very difficult one indeed  :-\
The Vassk helmet is a bit smaller and I wont have to use much padding thankfully, unlike my stalker that I could fit both of my fists on either side of my head while wearing it.
Finding a new helmet really is one of the hardest choices..

I managed to get the T-visor area most cut out and smoothed down a few days ago, I want to say this was about a week ago.
Thanks to the dremel it was super easy to remove the material, but there was a TON of "snow" fiberglass-coldcast-helmetbits going everywhere, about half way through my wife goes "WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PORCH?!"
 :laugh: I kind shrugged and told her I had no clue it would happen, but she did think it was funny I had white hair and eyebrows at this point!
One thing that always bothered me about trying to get into some of those corners of the visor is the fact that when freehanding it, the dremel will sometimes touch the helmet and create little dents that look out of place as seen on the right side of the helmet. Those wont stay like that, they will be smoothed and polished over.

In this picture the helmet had already been polished with some super fine steel wool to give it a shine, rub-n-buff will be added later to give it that almost metal look  8)

Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora

Yolah Hyperion

Vassk Coldcast Helmet Shiny
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2017, 08:20 AM »
Managed to get a few things done the other day, one being to polish the helmet, which shall be called Valors' Gaze

Holes are for magnets on the ear caps, so if later I need to store my helmet everything can be removed.
Small update but let me know what you think :D

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2017, 03:11 PM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged
Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Re: VALORS' GAZE WIP (Vassk Coldcast Helmet)
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2017, 08:26 PM »
Great work vod. It nearly looks like polished steel.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Great work vod. It nearly looks like polished steel.

Thank you kindly, thats the exact look I was hoping would come through 😁

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2017, 12:12 PM »
Shiny!  In both meanings. ;) :laugh:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2017, 12:52 PM »
Shiny!  In both meanings. ;) :laugh:

:laugh: Thanks Vod!  ;D

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Yolah Hyperion

VALORS' GAZE WIP (Vassk Coldcast Helmet) Ear Caps
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2017, 07:45 AM »
Good Morning,

Small update.
Yesterday was a good day, progress was made on attempting to attach the ear caps. Tried out a new dremel bit..it uh..worked well..just not exactly like I thought it would  :laugh: that's what bondo is for though!!

Right ear cap magnet felt like it did not need to stay in place and on more than one occasion left its designated home. Reinforced it better with more bondo, hopefully it will stay put this time.
I also sanded down the right ear piece so it lays almost perfectly flat on the helmet now  ;D

More to come and still a long way away from paint it seems. One day at a time, one day at a time.

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Yolah Hyperion

RISE THREAD RIIISE
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2018, 03:08 PM »
This really wont become a trend of me leaving the thread for months and months at a time.

To make a short story long..I moved..again..  :laugh: into a house this time with room for activities like painting armor!
My clan has also been providing me with much encouragement to complete my kit, so that is my goal for this year!!

With that in mind I was able to borrow a friends drill and get some very very much needed progress completed.

Magnets will hold my rangefinders cover in place allowing me to remove it for storage, I plan to make another rangefinder out of a shorter wifi router antennae for conventions so that it will not break as easy if anyone decides to grab it.

I also drilled a hole for the rangefinder bolt support system, bolt came from a pc monitor that was used to adjust the tilt angle of the monitor.

Here you can somewhat see the magnets that were glued in with E6000,  I went back later and covered them with bondo to prevent them from coming out of place.

Plan is for paint to be applied this weekend if the weather allows it  :rolleyes:
I have added 3mm sintra to the side of the rangefinder in order to give it more support.
Is something like that allowed or will I need to try and get an aluminum one later?

Let me know what you think!

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2018, 05:38 PM »
That is a gorgeous bucket!!   :o :o :o

It polished up so well, it's almost gonna be sad to see paint on it.  Either way, I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2018, 06:54 AM »
Thank you !! :laugh:
I felt so bad giving it a coat of black and having to add battle damage  :'(

Maybe If I can convince the wife, Ill buy another and just keep it polished up  :laugh: :laugh:

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2018, 10:59 AM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged
Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Maybe If I can convince the wife, Ill buy another and just keep it polished up  :laugh: :laugh:

I like this idea.  :D

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2018, 10:54 AM »
As I had stated before the well polished helmet has already been covered by a layer of black paint. One thing I had learned from prior painting mishaps is to actually give the paint extra time to dry so after waiting a full two days, the process of peeling away the latex which is my favorite part of adding weathering to anything, started with a delicate hand so as to not chip any more damage than intended.

There had been arguments from various sources that clean mando kits looked out of place and while a clean kit is very unique, it was not what was planned for my kit. I wanted to have a slightly worn and used kit rather than one that took the appearance of being through five thermal detonators, being hit with a turbolaser tower, and left in the Tatooine sun for 7 years. :P No offense to those that are able to pull that off :laugh: that's just not how I had envisioned my armor.

Here are the results though!

Posted the front again so no one has to scroll up to see how it looked   :P
There will be more light weathering later but this layer is going to be the deepest level and there will be no actual physical damage to the helmet as it is one of the few pieces that are actual "beskar"

I'm very excited to be back on this and to get the remaining colors down in the coming days!

Let me know what you think be it good or bad  ;D

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2018, 12:12 PM »
As much as I miss the polished look....that does look great man.  :D

My only tip would be to add some reeeeally tiny bits of topical weathering in some random places, because in reality...with a "metal" piece of armor like this...if there's paint chipping, there's going to be other random little marks, nicks and scratches.  Nothing huge...just some little nicks, and marks.  They really help fill in the voids, and will help give it a more realistic look.    I like using Testors Silver Metallic enamel for that.  Goes on really easy with a small detail brush.  :)

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2018, 12:43 PM »
As much as I miss the polished look....that does look great man.  :D

My only tip would be to add some reeeeally tiny bits of topical weathering in some random places, because in reality...with a "metal" piece of armor like this...if there's paint chipping, there's going to be other random little marks, nicks and scratches.  Nothing huge...just some little nicks, and marks.  They really help fill in the voids, and will help give it a more realistic look.    I like using Testors Silver Metallic enamel for that.  Goes on really easy with a small detail brush.  :)

I really appreciate the feedback  ;D
Ill make sure to go back and give it some more tiny details as you have suggested with a needle in areas, If I manage to get downtown I will attempt to get some of the TSM to add some finer details  :P

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Yolah Hyperion

VALORS' GAZE WIP (Vassk Coldcast Helmet) Dat weathering...
« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2018, 11:01 AM »
"My only tip would be to add some reeeeally tiny bits of topical weathering in some random places, because in reality...with a "metal" piece of armor like this...if there's paint chipping, there's going to be other random little marks, nicks and scratches.  Nothing huge...just some little nicks, and marks."

It was asked to be done and it hath been fulfilled.
Oddly enough I was unsure how to start or even wonder what items could be used to make this weathering, buuut as it turns out drill bit heads in that little plastic holster they come in, work wonders for random dings and scratches.

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2018, 11:02 AM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged
Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member Mobile Engineers Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2018, 11:14 AM »
Good job on the chipping, and it looks great with the new nicks!

Right now it looks like it's been through hell, and then polished within an inch of it's life.   It's totally a choice, but I would consider some kind of a wash, black/brown/gray/deep mars dusty red - to add some dirt to the damage, but think about that carefully, cause whatever it is will need to happen on your plates too. 

It's coming along well vod!

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2018, 12:37 PM »
Good job on the chipping, and it looks great with the new nicks!

Right now it looks like it's been through hell, and then polished within an inch of it's life.   It's totally a choice, but I would consider some kind of a wash, black/brown/gray/deep mars dusty red - to add some dirt to the damage, but think about that carefully, cause whatever it is will need to happen on your plates too. 

It's coming along well vod!

I thank you! I'm glad I achieved that well weathered look then!!  ;D

I have not yet added a wash as I plan to after all but the last layer of paint has been added in order to ensure that the crevices from the layers of paint will retain the "dirt and grime" within  :P
One thing after doing this helmet, thus far, I have realized my gauntlets will need to be repainted in order to look like they are part of the armor instead of the cartoony look they have.

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member Mobile Engineers Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2018, 12:40 PM »
Figured you might already have it in the works :)

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Great job on the extra chipping man!  That really bumps up the realism.  Like Sep said, after a wash, you should be golden.  Can't wait to see it finished up and shipped my way!!  :D

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Figured you might already have it in the works :)
:laugh: If the time can be found to work on them more it may be done before the years out  :'( :laugh:
Great job on the extra chipping man!  That really bumps up the realism.  Like Sep said, after a wash, you should be golden.  Can't wait to see it finished up and shipped my way!!  :D

:laugh: You got dem credits ready then??  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: If you would ever want me to paint something for you just lemme know.  :P

I will finish layering the latex down for the next layer, then rinse repeat  ;D

Guess this build is kinda on the app teams radar or perhaps it coincidence ?? *X-files theme plays*

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Yolah Hyperion

Red October Standing By
« Reply #23 on: Apr 19, 2018, 08:14 PM »
*Sean Connery voice*
Ah yesh well I do shuppose the time has come to reveal the progress of the helmet.

Im pleased to say that the more prominent colors will be added soon, I am no where near done with this bucket, there is so much still to add and numerous details to come  ;D

There is this habit of making anything I paint have layers upon layers upon layers of paint so in the event something ever does scrape up against the object it will only reveal more paint underneath :P This isn't the final red merely a underlayer to help the remaining colors to be added stand out more!
Adding multiple layers, I feel not only provides a unique look but also allows stories to be associated with the damage that followed. Since this will be the helmet that will stay with me forever, it needs extra TLC.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:09 AM by Yolah Hyperion » Logged
Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 10:14 AM »
UPDATE     UPDATE     UPDATE     UPDATE     UPDATE
Another update this time we are approaching the finish line for main areas of paint!

I forgot to take pictures of the second layer of red paint after it had dried and hastily started masking off the T area to begin painting the main focal point of the helmet. I ended up changing this design probably about 56 times, between tiny details, what looked good on the concept art and what would actually translate over to the actual helmet, measurements were off and had to be altered, the constant thought of is this actually “mando-esque”, how it would look after it had been finished. Finally it came to the point where I redrew some lines here and there checked back at some reference material enough times to where it started to make more sense to apply it similar to the reference rather than attempt to follow my original design.

Overall the biggest concern was what would happen if the paint didn’t react well with the other paints… Thankfully nothing went wrong and the application process went smoothly. This took about 3 days of light coats and letting them dry overnight to prevent any issues, I would rather play it safe this time than completely destroy another helmet.. RIP NME Stalker. This turned out better than I had hoped !!

Toss that feedback this way if you have any!  ;D

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!