Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Zando's WIP 1.0

• 84 Replies

Zando

• Hello!
Re: Zando's WIP 1.0
« Reply #25 on: Sep 11, 2017, 11:46 PM »
I think so! But then again, I've run into trouble with spacing myself. I'm considering redoing some of my plates  :(

Hmmmm... I think they're good though. We'll see how it goes when I cut them out (hopefully tomorrow if it isn't raining)!

Ellen

• Call me Sha'el Cla
« Reply #26 on: Sep 12, 2017, 12:04 AM »
Hmmmm... I think they're good though. We'll see how it goes when I cut them out (hopefully tomorrow if it isn't raining)!

They look pretty good to me! Can't wait to see your progress!  :D

Design is everything. Why buy it when you can build it?

Og' Reh

• Ugliest Mandalorian you've ever seen!
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #27 on: Sep 12, 2017, 05:09 AM »
With sintra you can always cut some more if the plates are too big or uncomfortable, so just go for it!

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Desperate times need desperate measures... Call Mandalorians!
- Like... BOTH of them?

WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105164.0
Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #28 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:23 AM »
With sintra you can always cut some more if the plates are too big or uncomfortable, so just go for it!

Will do! If the rain will stop, mebbe I can get it done tonight.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #29 on: Sep 14, 2017, 10:30 PM »
I have most definitely and absolutely have not been cutting Sintra. As you can see from my flight suit and headgear:

( I also did not get a haircut)

And I certainly didn't trace this with spray paint:

And I didn't make this either:

And I am completely not pumped or excited...  ;)

NukemLuke

• To light a candle is to cast a shadow.
« Reply #30 on: Sep 14, 2017, 10:48 PM »
Haha! That is an interesting way to trace your armor templates on your Sintra... I like the way you think  :laugh: lol

Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

"There are no mistakes in life, only lessons... Let this be a lesson."

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=119691.0 (WIP)

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #31 on: Sep 14, 2017, 10:50 PM »
Haha! That is an interesting way to trace your armor templates on your Sintra... I like the way you think  :laugh: lol

Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

Yup! Shaping and bending is next... gotta cut out knee plates and a backplate (I'll need a bigger piece of sintra than the 2'x4' one I have). I won't get any done this weekend/next week though, since I'm going to Florida with my family.

Ellen

• Call me Sha'el Cla
« Reply #32 on: Sep 15, 2017, 01:08 AM »
Yup! Shaping and bending is next... gotta cut out knee plates and a backplate (I'll need a bigger piece of sintra than the 2'x4' one I have). I won't get any done this weekend/next week though, since I'm going to Florida with my family.
It's going to move really fast from here! You're so close vod! Have fun in Florida as well!  :)

Og' Reh

• Ugliest Mandalorian you've ever seen!
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #33 on: Sep 15, 2017, 01:48 AM »
Well... If you put it this way, the only answer there could be... We're not happy with your progres! ;)

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Desperate times need desperate measures... Call Mandalorians!
- Like... BOTH of them?

WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105164.0
Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #34 on: Sep 15, 2017, 09:26 AM »
It's going to move really fast from here! You're so close vod! Have fun in Florida as well!  :)

I will! And it should go pretty quick, since shaping shouldn’t take that long and then painting is pretty fast... but I need a vest...

Well... If you put it this way, the only answer there could be... We're not happy with your progres! ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ellen

• Call me Sha'el Cla
« Reply #35 on: Sep 15, 2017, 01:38 PM »
I will! And it should go pretty quick, since shaping shouldn’t take that long and then painting is pretty fast... but I need a vest...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There are lots of good ways to either make a vest, or ways to buy one. I made mine based on the shape and style of my old volleyball sleeveless shirt.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #36 on: Sep 15, 2017, 02:32 PM »
There are lots of good ways to either make a vest, or ways to buy one. I made mine based on the shape and style of my old volleyball sleeveless shirt.

I don't trust my sewing skills though, so I'd rather buy one. But they're about $95... I may have enough left over after I buy a .22 rifle.

Ellen

• Call me Sha'el Cla
« Reply #37 on: Sep 18, 2017, 12:32 PM »
I don't trust my sewing skills though, so I'd rather buy one. But they're about $95... I may have enough left over after I buy a .22 rifle.

Can you show a pic of the one you're looking at?  :) Also, sewing isn't that bad unless you're crazy like me and making your own pattern  :laugh:

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #38 on: Sep 18, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Can you show a pic of the one you're looking at?  :) Also, sewing isn't that bad unless you're crazy like me and making your own pattern  :laugh:

These: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=131611.0

And I don't think I'd do very well making my own pattern....  :-X

Ellen

• Call me Sha'el Cla
« Reply #39 on: Sep 18, 2017, 02:25 PM »

Looks nice! That's a lighter, more breathable fabric than mine. I made the sacrifice because I wanted a leather look  :rolleyes:

I wish I had been more experienced when I made my own, but you never know until you try, right?  ;)

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #40 on: Sep 18, 2017, 06:38 PM »
Looks nice! That's a lighter, more breathable fabric than mine. I made the sacrifice because I wanted a leather look  :rolleyes:

I wish I had been more experienced when I made my own, but you never know until you try, right?  ;)

Yep. Now I just gotta cough up the money. Got some other stuff to get first though. Maybe if a nice bounty would come my way...

Ellen

• Call me Sha'el Cla
« Reply #41 on: Sep 18, 2017, 11:21 PM »
Yep. Now I just gotta cough up the money. Got some other stuff to get first though. Maybe if a nice bounty would come my way...

That would be nice  :rolleyes:  I haven't seen any well paying ones yet though. I'll let you know if I come across a good one! Two Mandos are better than one, eh?  ;)

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #42 on: Sep 19, 2017, 01:12 PM »
That would be nice  :rolleyes:  I haven't seen any well paying ones yet though. I'll let you know if I come across a good one! Two Mandos are better than one, eh?  ;)

For sure! Seems I’ll have to keep hunting numbers in the wild spreadsheet plains for now.

Ellen

• Call me Sha'el Cla
« Reply #43 on: Sep 19, 2017, 02:57 PM »
For sure! Seems I’ll have to keep hunting numbers in the wild spreadsheet plains for now.

I think I'll go back to my day job as Jedi Librarian....

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #44 on: Sep 19, 2017, 07:14 PM »
I think I'll go back to my day job as Jedi Librarian....

Yep. The Star Wars movies never touch on the day to day life of a "Simple man trying to make his way in the universe", just the high/low/exciting points.

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
« Reply #45 on: Sep 20, 2017, 05:44 PM »

Oooo. Nice vest choice Vod. :) May the credits flow your way for them.

As an aside, I like the way your plates are turning out, and your flight suit looks fantastic. Backplates are a PITA though, so get help with those if you have a clan close to you.

Have you got any ideas for how you're going to attach your plates?

~Kaylin

Mirdala Kyr’am
Alor'ad- Vhetin'Ade Clan; June 2022- Present
Ruus'alor Solyc- Vhetin'Ade Clan; 2017- 2022
App Team Q&A
Ruus'sol for Western Region- USA
OM #1899

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #46 on: Sep 21, 2017, 09:03 AM »
Oooo. Nice vest choice Vod. :) May the credits flow your way for them.

As an aside, I like the way your plates are turning out, and your flight suit looks fantastic. Backplates are a PITA though, so get help with those if you have a clan close to you.

Have you got any ideas for how you're going to attach your plates?

~Kaylin

Thanks for the kind words vod! For a backplate, I’m thinking of going with a segmented one for less pain and agony shaping it, just gotta decide what type I want. As for attaching, I’m thinking industrial strength Velcro at first, since a plate sized swath of that will be insanely tough. My hand plates are attached with it and there’s no way they’ll slip off, and they’re pretty tricky to pull off too. Then once I get my spacing just perfect, if it moves at all I can use rivets or screws.

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
« Reply #47 on: Sep 21, 2017, 05:12 PM »
Thanks for the kind words vod! For a backplate, I’m thinking of going with a segmented one for less pain and agony shaping it, just gotta decide what type I want. As for attaching, I’m thinking industrial strength Velcro at first, since a plate sized swath of that will be insanely tough. My hand plates are attached with it and there’s no way they’ll slip off, and they’re pretty tricky to pull off too. Then once I get my spacing just perfect, if it moves at all I can use rivets or screws.

I did my back plate segmented as well and it did help a great deal. I just had to get help shaping the top part, and everything else went from there. Be aware though that sometimes the back plate will have the tendency to stick out a bit at the base. I will need to adjust mine in the future, and make sure my velcro is on tight.
I usually use a 2 part epoxy glue for the velcro on the back of plates to make sure it stays. On cloth I sew the snot out of it. :D
I also use snaps for my plates, which works great as well. Just make sure to reinforce the place where you make the small hole for the snap to fit through. Keeps the snap from being pulled directly out.

~Kaylin

Mirdala Kyr’am
Alor'ad- Vhetin'Ade Clan; June 2022- Present
Ruus'alor Solyc- Vhetin'Ade Clan; 2017- 2022
App Team Q&A
Ruus'sol for Western Region- USA
OM #1899

Ellen

• Call me Sha'el Cla
« Reply #48 on: Sep 21, 2017, 06:48 PM »
I haven't seen a segmented backplate yet, they sound pretty cool though!  8)

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #49 on: Sep 21, 2017, 06:53 PM »
I haven't seen a segmented backplate yet, they sound pretty cool though!  8)

They look pretty good as well, if done right (though I can always get a cool cape if I mess it up). I need to decide what I'm doing for shoulder and knee armor as well, then get some gaunts. Factor in the backplate and helmet and that should be it as far as hard armor goes.

For soft parts, I need to work on a kama, get a vest, make sure my flight suit is fitted just right (I'll know for sure once everything is one) and get some boots. Also gotta cover up some logos on my gloves. I love Mechanix gloves, but they put a massive amount of logos covering the entire back of the gloves.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!