Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

N'gai Mando

• 4 Replies

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
N'gai Mando
« on: Aug 15, 2017, 03:15 PM »
Howdy folks,

That's right, I'll be doing a N'gai (Nagai) Mando.

I'm fairly pale and dark haired as it is, and happen to have a set of latex elf ear tips that I can put on with some Pros-aid. While I'm not black haired, I am pretty dark. I -may- wear a wig, I may not. I haven't 100% decided yet only because wigs and helmets are, well, a sure fire way to a sweaty mess. I was considering simply wearing a skull cap (scrub cap) in black just to avoid some of the sweat issue. If I do go for a wig, I'm thinking a lace front with a steep widow's peak. Arda wigs has two potentials in their "Marty" or "Virginia" versions.

For make up, I hear Ben Nye is the bomb, but I'm also looking at the Manic Panic "Vampyre's Veil" pressed powder and their "Dreamtone" liquid foundations in white. From what I understand though, the Dreamtone in white is only used to lighten available foundations, though they do have a cream to powder product. I have to be careful with what make-up I use, as I'm allergic to Fragrance and Balsam of Peru.... though they both look to be Parfum free, which is a good thing.

M.A.C makes an excellent eyeshadow in "Copperplate" that works really well on fair skin tones as a contour, but I'm open to suggestions. I'll be adding some highlighting and that should give the angular features the N'gai are known for without having to use facial prosthetics.

Now, I haven't decided if I'm going to use contact lenses or not. I'm light eyed as it is, as are the N'gai, but I'm not sure if I want to go with something a little more....supernatural....or not. I had an issue with contact lenses recently that has made me a little wary of them (I got an eye infection, or had a reaction to a pair that I've had which I care for meticulously, so I'm not sure what the issue was with them....) but I'm open to suggestions on contacts that are gas permeable and safe for sensitive eyes.

Anything else? I mean, my kit will have bladed items, that's for sure. ;)

~Kaylin

KaylinSilverfurr

Re: N'gai Mando
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2017, 12:29 PM »
Hello Vod'e,

I ended up going with the Ben Nye Color Cake Foundation in Porcelain (https://camerareadycosmetics.com/collections/ben-nye/products/ben-nye-color-cake-foundation?variant=22318470791) and a neutral setting powder. I did check out the ingredient list, and there's no perfume or fragrance that's going to irritate my skin, and its water activated.

I was also thinking of adding a signature lip. Many of the photos of N'gai I've come across having them with a pale lip from what I can tell, but I want something a little more....well....signature. ;) I've been looking at some of the bold liquid Lip Colours from Black Moon cosmetics....something from their Black Metal collection. Either "Immortal" (Purple) or "Sorrow" (blue).

~Kaylin

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2017, 01:19 PM »
If you had a problem with contacts, I'd suggest against them.  Being stuck in a helmet while your eyes are burning would be bad.  ;) ;D

And if you are uncomfortable with a wig, there are some good temporary hair dyes you could try. 

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2017, 11:17 PM »
If you had a problem with contacts, I'd suggest against them.  Being stuck in a helmet while your eyes are burning would be bad.  ;) ;D

Howdy Vod! Yes, I agree with you there. Most of the N'gai photos I have seen are grey- eyed, and I think Wookie-pedia has them listed as grey- eyed. Again, I can get away with it naturally, so I'm happy to not wear contacts.

And if you are uncomfortable with a wig, there are some good temporary hair dyes you could try.

I'm also happy to dye my hair black, to be 100% honest. Or a "Natural black" which is more of a deep, dark brown that is very close to black, just not blue-black.

~Kaylin

Edit: Fixing BB code.

« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2017, 11:16 AM by KaylinSilverfurr » Logged

KaylinSilverfurr

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Howdy Vode!

I had an event where I could get dressed in my mando gear, so I did a test run of some make-up. Obviously not with the Ben Nye stuff, as it hasn't arrived yet, but with what I happened to have on hand.

Make-up setting spray will be an absolute must when I go for the real gusto, so I'll be sure to invest in some Urban Decay "All Nighter" setting spray. I think NYX also has a setting spray that's more affordable that I can use as well, and I may need to pick up a jumbo pencil from them for a base. I figure a dark grey smokey eye will work well with the pale-as-a-wampas'-behind skin.

So, eventually once all my stuff arrives, I'll see about doing a tutorial for folks. Who knows, maybe I can help inspire other Nagai mandos!

~Kaylin

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!