Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scully soft parts

• 22 Replies
Re: Scully soft parts
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Hey guys, finally have an update post-Dragon Con!

Dragon Con showed me I had a lot of work to do on the durability and wearability of my suit, so I made a few changes that should help out. I also finished some parts that I ran out of time for before Dragon Con.

First thing I realized was that the neck on my flak vest was way too wide, and kept popping out of my helmet. And with the balaklava AND the flight suit neck underneath, it was hotter than an oven. So I removed the neck from my flight suit, then took the neck off the flak jacket to resize it and make it into a separate piece. I also had to take in the sides a bit on the flak jacket, because it got a bit looser since September.

I still have to finish the neck on the flak vest, and add a dickie to the newly-separated neck seal, after I make a supply run next weekend.

Also, my shin armor kept falling off, so I opted to make some boot covers to give it some more mounting points, and a place to hide the elastic straps. Took me a few tries to get the template right, but I did the whole saran wrap/duct tape method and it worked pretty well.

I made a quick and dirty mockup out of some brown suedy material I had lying around from a steampunk project, and I'm actually really liking it. I'm debating using this vs. buying some black vinyl to better match the boots. Here's a few pictures with the shin piece on and off.

Right now they're just pinned on, so they'll be more tight to the back of my leg once I sew the back up.

Do these look like a good direction to go in, or should I go for some black vinyl to make them look more like calf-length boots?

And finally, I made a lot more progress on my gun belt. I took a notch out of the pouches to make them a bit more Swarzy, and finished the other holster. After that, I thought it was missing something, so I added some snaps and rivets to give it a more realistic look.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Nicely done, vod.  You're doing some good work here.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Yolah Hyperion

• "Speak softly and carry a heavy blaster"
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Those boot covers look really good so far, adding those rivets really did add that extra sense of realism!

Cant wait to see you finish modding that pistol on the right  :D

Beskar Knives found here:
https://www.facebook.com/Jaegers-Den-105988854882939

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises."
Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2018, 05:54 PM »
Thanks guys! I added a leg strap to the DL-44 holster just now too, hopefully I can get some more pictures when the glue dries sometime tonight.

« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Made some more progress on the gunbelt early this morning -- I realized the left-side custom holster wasn't flexible enough to let me walk naturally or put my leg up very far, so I went to the hardware store and got a couple of D-Rings to make it more flexible.

A little hot glue and a couple of rivets later, I got this, when ended up working much better. Now I know why Han's belt has them.

Figuring I had a few minutes before work, I finished up by adding the leg strap to the left side as well. I tried it out with my thigh armor and it finally stays in place!

Pulse

« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Nice holster, looking awesome vod!

Mando WIPs - Armor | Helmet | Soft
Vornskr Clan | MMCC #....
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:25 AM »
I got some feedback on Facebook that my belt was looking a little bit sparse, so I made a knife and holster to add to it. I might have more pouches, I'm not sure. Can't have too many weapons though!

The knife has a lot of work left, but that's in another thread.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:50 AM »
Can't have too many weapons though!

Truth! I don't recall ever hearing a fellow Mando complain about too many weapons..

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!