Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Scully soft parts

• 22 Replies
Scully soft parts
« on: Aug 17, 2017, 10:53 PM »
Hey guys! I'm through a significant chunk of my armor, so while I'm doing that I also want to get started on all of my soft pieces.

Right now I have a navy blue Tru spec flight suit, and I'm going out this weekend to get the material to make the flak vest. But I've already started working on the gunbelt, holsters, and pouches.

Do you guys think that this would be a approvable?

Sidearm holster:

Belt pouch (going to have a few of these):

CrixAxet

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Scully soft parts
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2017, 11:04 PM »
I think those holsters and pouches should get approved. They look enough like the ones Han uses and the pouches are good for starting off.

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two levels 'Up-close-and-personal" and 'Hello-you're dead' -Sev (legends)

Torolf Goran

• Take what you can, give nothing back.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2017, 11:54 PM »
The holster and pouch look great and are both approvable. Post up a picture of you wearing the flightsuit before you start on the vest. It may need to be taken in and that could throw off the fit of the vest.

Bes'uliik Clan - Arkansas   OM #1545  
Brigade Member - Striker Division, Privateer / Heavy Melee
501st Diamond Garrison - TA 15450
M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

If you're new to the club and in Arkansas go here.
Official Invasions: 18
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2017, 12:23 AM »
Thanks! Glad to know those are going in the right direction. It's my first time building anything like that, so that's really encouraging.

I think the flight suit definitely needs to be taken in, it's gigantic! Arms and legs are too long and too wide. Let me know what you think!

Torolf Goran

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Special Weapons Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2017, 01:34 AM »
Yeah the arms and legs are pretty baggy. The rest looks good though.

M.M.R.S. - 001 (founder), W.B. - 003, QMU - 055, L.O.B. - 015, O.S.B.A. - 004, B.o.B.B. - 015, N.O.S. - 018

« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2017, 10:47 PM »
Picked up these gloves today, would these be approvable with the proper weathering?

Torolf Goran

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2017, 11:01 PM »
Those will work.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2017, 11:24 PM »

« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2017, 03:50 PM »
Took me forever to update, but I made progress! I made my flak vest this last week (and because I had to learn on the go, it took ALL last week), and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. If you guys think it looks good, I'm going to weather it and start attaching my plates.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2017, 04:07 PM »
Looks good to me! A little loos at the back, but it is the proper length (man they look short without a girth belt) and fits pretty well. I gotta make my own one eventually, so I'll keep snooping on this thread and others for ideas.

Yolah Hyperion

• "Speak softly and carry a heavy blaster"
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2017, 09:34 AM »
May employ your help with making a flak vest soon  ;D
Will you still be going with the shoulder cape like your concept has?

That holster you made... high quality looking stuff right there  :o is it leather or another material?

"Mandalorians don't make threats. We make promises."
Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora
« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2017, 09:50 AM »
Definitely hit me up if you need help! I learned a lot doing it myself, happy to share.

I did add a shoulder cape! Used some red duck cloth for that and the girth belt. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of that because I didn't have a photographer with me at the con, and turns out the glue in industrial Velcro melts in crowds that size. So once I sew it on, I'll post some.

The whole belt is actually 89-cent craft foam. I took some info from Evil Ted and a few other places to make my own process. If you want, I can share what I did as well.

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2017, 02:11 PM »
Please and thank you Vod,
I have some extra loose flowing cloth if you wanted it for a cape  :laugh:

Mandalore the Preserver

"I have poured blood, sweat, manly tears, months and years, and quite possibly my mortal soul into this armor. Treat it like it is the last child on earth."
-Svik Katora
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2017, 02:59 PM »
Your cape turned out exactly how I was picturing mine. I'm definitely using your technique to upgrade or before my next invasion.

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2017, 10:29 AM »
 :laugh: Thanks Vod, be happy to help make yours if you would like!

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Hey guys, finally have an update post-Dragon Con!

Dragon Con showed me I had a lot of work to do on the durability and wearability of my suit, so I made a few changes that should help out. I also finished some parts that I ran out of time for before Dragon Con.

First thing I realized was that the neck on my flak vest was way too wide, and kept popping out of my helmet. And with the balaklava AND the flight suit neck underneath, it was hotter than an oven. So I removed the neck from my flight suit, then took the neck off the flak jacket to resize it and make it into a separate piece. I also had to take in the sides a bit on the flak jacket, because it got a bit looser since September.

I still have to finish the neck on the flak vest, and add a dickie to the newly-separated neck seal, after I make a supply run next weekend.

Also, my shin armor kept falling off, so I opted to make some boot covers to give it some more mounting points, and a place to hide the elastic straps. Took me a few tries to get the template right, but I did the whole saran wrap/duct tape method and it worked pretty well.

I made a quick and dirty mockup out of some brown suedy material I had lying around from a steampunk project, and I'm actually really liking it. I'm debating using this vs. buying some black vinyl to better match the boots. Here's a few pictures with the shin piece on and off.

Right now they're just pinned on, so they'll be more tight to the back of my leg once I sew the back up.

Do these look like a good direction to go in, or should I go for some black vinyl to make them look more like calf-length boots?

And finally, I made a lot more progress on my gun belt. I took a notch out of the pouches to make them a bit more Swarzy, and finished the other holster. After that, I thought it was missing something, so I added some snaps and rivets to give it a more realistic look.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Nicely done, vod.  You're doing some good work here.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Yolah Hyperion

« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Those boot covers look really good so far, adding those rivets really did add that extra sense of realism!

Cant wait to see you finish modding that pistol on the right  :D

Mandalore the Preserver

-Svik Katora
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2018, 05:54 PM »
Thanks guys! I added a leg strap to the DL-44 holster just now too, hopefully I can get some more pictures when the glue dries sometime tonight.

« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Made some more progress on the gunbelt early this morning -- I realized the left-side custom holster wasn't flexible enough to let me walk naturally or put my leg up very far, so I went to the hardware store and got a couple of D-Rings to make it more flexible.

A little hot glue and a couple of rivets later, I got this, when ended up working much better. Now I know why Han's belt has them.

Figuring I had a few minutes before work, I finished up by adding the leg strap to the left side as well. I tried it out with my thigh armor and it finally stays in place!

Pulse

« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Nice holster, looking awesome vod!

Mando WIPs - Armor | Helmet | Soft
Vornskr Clan | MMCC #....
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:25 AM »
I got some feedback on Facebook that my belt was looking a little bit sparse, so I made a knife and holster to add to it. I might have more pouches, I'm not sure. Can't have too many weapons though!

The knife has a lot of work left, but that's in another thread.

Zando

• Hello!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:50 AM »
Can't have too many weapons though!

Truth! I don't recall ever hearing a fellow Mando complain about too many weapons..

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!