Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flak Vest Ideas

• 4 Replies
Flak Vest Ideas
« on: Aug 28, 2017, 08:32 PM »
Is it possible to use a tactical vest as a flak vest?  Not one with all sorts of pouches and stuff, just velcro.

Intul Bawr  ▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
Re: Flak Vest Ideas
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2017, 04:51 AM »
My understanding is yes, however it requires complete coverage of the Velcro. So it is not normally an advised route in all cases.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2017, 06:58 PM »
But in theory, it'll work. That's good enough for me, unless I'm told otherwise. Thanks for the help   

Intul Bawr  ▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一

KanoFett

• Help me Solo Green Kenobi... You're my only hope
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2017, 10:41 PM »
For over a year now, I have purchased, tried on, or at least looked at Tactical vests, ballistic vests, plate carriers, modular vests, armored vehicle crew flak vest... Most are too narrow in the shoulders, some are too long, or not enough coverage on the sides, plenty of other problems.

So far, the closest I have come is Blauer Armor Skin tac vest, but they run HUGE and take weeks to arrive.  They run almost as much as a custom Mando vest.  I bought my size based on their own chart (XL-Xlong) but it's way too big, even if I was using it as it was intended. I ordered a second one too sizes smaller and shorter. it finally showed up tonight.  This one is about right in width but stops just above my belly button. maybe one size shorter instead of two would be better.

For As many of these as I have bought, I could have Just had a custom Mando vest made to my exact specifications, and then still have $$ for a MoW jet pack!  Well, actually, I did try that route, but anyway...  :(

I think the big advantage of the tac vest is all the attachment options.  If I use the Blauer vest, I will try attaching MOLLE straps to the plates.

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2017, 10:45 PM by KanoFett » Logged
"Mandalorian Assassin- the very best there is... when you absolutely positively gotta kill every motivator in the room, accept no substitutes"
- Mace Windu

Reginmund

• Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2017, 09:56 AM »
True tactical vests usually cost around $50 to well over $100, paintball look-a-likes are often less. When you add in time spent to modify them to comply to club rules...you are better off either making a standard vest yourself or visiting the Supply Depot and spending the $80 or so to buy a vest that complies with the CRLs.

Now if you already own a tac vest, you will need to spend time (and possibly money) to modify it to comply with club rules. This may be as simple as ensuring certain parts are covered, to physically removing parts of the vest.

C.A. #67 | M.A. #160 | M.A.D. #69 | M.A.R.S. #64 |M.L.C.S. #32 | VABS

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!