Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Valkyrie's Second Kit

• 4 Replies

theValkyrie

• "Some girls just want to be warlords..."
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Beastmaster Brigade Member
Valkyrie's Second Kit
« on: Aug 08, 2021, 04:59 PM »
Well a quarantine project has finally come to fruition-- my second kit!

(Please forgive my crappy drawing, art is not my strong suit)

My night owl helmet is from Kamino Outpost and my breastplates are April Storm 3D printed breastplates (courteously printed by Kamino Outpost). The rest of the kit is made with 6MM and 3MM sintra.

My paint theme is white, gray, and red. I've included medic symbols since I want to eventually go for Medic brigade (but we're working on OM status first :P)

(featuring Chopper who is a very good boy in spite of the droid he's named after)

My soft parts:

Flak vest I followed TheMandoWay.com's pattern made out of gray canvas:

front

back

Girth Belt

Kama & Loin Cloth

My gauntlets are 3D printed with an LED screen (to be finished)

Stay tuned for more updates!!! Can't wait to put it all together :)

“The quickest way to a man's heart is through the fourth and fifth ribs.”
OM since May 26, 2018

theValkyrie

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Beastmaster Brigade Member
Re: Valkyrie's Second Kit
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2021, 04:02 PM »
My initial try-on

I could tell the breast plates were a bit long -- but I wore it to Megacon Orlando as a trial run to get a feel for the kit.

From the trial run at Megacon I knew I needed to make a few changes.

I cut the bottoms of the breast plates off and moved up the ab plate. I am only 5'0'' and a very short torso. I also shortened the back plate as well since it was also too long when my belt is worn in the correct place.

This new plate arrangement will be much better for my body.

I also decided against a nearly clean kit and weathered it a bit more.

I also decided to add a "butt pouch" medic bag to my belt. Since I couldn't find one that I liked online I decided to make it from scratch.

Perfect? No. Works? Yeah.

I will be giving this new configuration another test run this weekend at Ocala Comic Con where I hope to be able to take approval photos.

OM since May 26, 2018
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2021, 10:49 AM »
Wow! That's awesome!!

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-lorian
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2021, 01:08 AM »
I'm a doctor, Jim, not a brick layer! Wait, no, wrong fandom.  :laugh:
Looks great Han! I see approval and brigades in the near future!

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186
Q.M.U. #92 <-Hey, it rhymes!
House Nelvaan Armored Squirrel #10

theValkyrie

« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2021, 09:19 PM »
So after wearing my kit to a second con (Ocala Comic Con) I've made more tweaks!
The  Kama/loin cloth/ armor combo I had made really wasn't working as well as the gray canvas flak vest.
They were just a little too flimsy so I beefed them up a bit.

My new flak vest is made of a quilted material which is much more sturdy and doesn't sag with the weight of my plates and also is fitted much better.

My Kama/Loin Cloth is double layered white canvas trimmed with red and weathered with tea and acrylic paint.

It's much sturdier and I like the flow of it much better than my previous kama/loin cloth combo

I also did away with the annoying straps on my shin guards and knees in favor of large strips of velcro that I hand-sewed to my pants.

Once that was sewn I hit all of my soft parts front and back with gray/white spray paint to add a sandy/dirty look.

Submitting soon! very excited

OM since May 26, 2018

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!