Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

OW's Space Cowboy Design Thread (Malcolm Reynolds/Cad Bane/KOTR Captain Inspired

• 31 Replies

Obey Wann

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
Hey, my name is Obey Wann... I've been with the Rebel Legion since 2002 and 501st since 2005. I've done a ton of kits over the years, and it is finally nearing time to do a custom Mando.

We have some excellent folks in the Denver, Colorado area, and I am quite familiar with many of the local Mandos, plus I am familiar with a large number of 501st/RL vendors.

I'm not in a rush to do this, as I don't have a lot of time, or spare cash for high dollar stuff... so this will probably be a labor of love...

But after doing stock standard approveable kits for the 501st and RL, I would like to go fairly nonstandard with this build. I've done enough cookie cutter kits... so I'd like guidance on how to go near the edge of the limits, without dancing straight across them.

I'm not looking for standard-issue, off the shelf patterns and kits, at least not without some modification.

I'm also tired of overly hot buckets that are difficult to hear or talk in, so I'm interested in seeing what kind of venting and modification is possible... particularly in the ear caps realm, along with key slots and other possible vents.

I'm already involved in a local Clan Build & Info Facebook group, and will get involved with armor parties... plus I chat with folks regularly at joint event troops...

... and I'm already trying to use the Search feature.... so hopefully I won't ask too many n00b questions....

My main inspirations are Malcolm Reynolds, Cad Bane and the Captain in the KOTR opening sequence. I live in Colorado, and I love the western gunslinger look. I've wanted a kama for years, and I loved the duster on my Snowtrooper... so if possible, I want to incorporate a duster into my kit.

Here is my very rough initial design:

Here are some images that inspire me:

Blaster from KOTR:

This is probably my favorite blaster for a gunslinger that I have seen. I think it fits well with the Firefly Mal look, but still says Star Wars.

Regarding Gauntlets...

I like some of the detail that 3D prints can get, and I want to avoid the traditional Jango/Boba look. I also like the idea of a hinged gauntlet that is easier to get on and off.

I'm sure that I'll do some type of hand plate. This is just an example of something that caught my eye:

Regarding Dusters...

I love the look of the smuggler/Captain guy in the KOTR opening sequence. I've never played the game, but his look is very SW, but very Mal.

Interesting use of spats over cowboy/work boots.

I love the flowing look of the duster, and also the use of layers in this kit. There are layers on layers on everything.

I'd also like to play around a bit with LEDs and/or EL wire to add some bling.

Looking at this duster, it looks like I could take a sleeve and cut it to vest length. Is it possible to add shoulder armor on top of the duster, and not on the vest?

(I've asked that question in another thread, but I'll ask it here, too...)

I also like the use of layering... on his gloves, gauntlets, and the extra layers in the duster.

This is probably the best image of how a duster can be cut to show off the armor underneath. I would definitely modify any duster to make it more open on the front.

Here are some etsy and other vendors that I have seen as possibilities for sources. I plan on ordering it a size or two larger so i would have room to cut off parts of them and have additional material for additional layers and details...

A Mal-inspired option:

And old Captain Tightpants, for further inspiration:

... more inspiration/ideas:

... and some Cad bane concept art, just for good measure....

And other CB images

I love both the corner silver greeblies, and the oil-washed leather look. It is gritty, used and believable. Interesting cut on the duster to make it more open at the legs...

Regarding helmets....

Like I said, I'm not looking for a straight off the shelf helmet. Uniqueness, ventilation and customize-ability are of critical importance to me.

I've been searching around and have seen some that I think are approveable and some that are not. And of course, the coal is to avoid recasters and vendors with low reputations.

I think the Iron Works ?Renengade? is approveable:

I'm also hearing that this helmet is NOT approveable, as it is a kit-bashed helmet with Optimus Prime and X-Wing parts. I'd love confirmation, if possible. I do like it for the possible ventilation aspect, and I do like the extra greeblies for detail and extra pizzaz. If those greeblies are NOT allowed, are other kit-based parts OK?

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=140289.15

Another option is this samurai-Fett type of helmet by Christopher Zuk. It's 3D printed, and would take some work to get smooth... but it is unique. Because it is 3D printed, it's possible that I could work with him to include some keyholes or other vents into the design.... especially around the ear caps and int he cheeks/jowl area...

... and if nothing else, the NME Stalker or Assassin is probably the best and seems to have a great rep. (I have a large melon, so size is important...)

(I do like the size visibility our of the Assassin...)

(is it possible to cut vents out of the back, and along the bottom?)

Regarding jumpsuits....

I want to keep the material as lightweight as possible. Wearing a full kit is hot enough. So I'm trying to avoid traditional Red Kap/Dickies heavy coveralls. I fully understand that there are requirements to cover up zipper pull tabs.

I want to keep it to a tan base... so here are options:

TruSpec 27P

http://tacticalgear.com/tru-spec-poly-cotton-twill-27-p-flight-suits-khaki#/7211/2542,657/1

http://workboots.com/propper-fr-100-cotton-coveralls-khaki?hp=y&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4eXPBRCtARIsADvOjY2ZicnTUDgYgRo-0lbbwwgRfIZmwA2wLtJ8qQADgaYEd-azrcOmzR4aAtL5EALw_wcB#/24714/657,2542/1&dl=b

Regarding shoulders and knees....

I'd like to do something either with layers (2 or 3 layers), or something beyond the standard template ones...

These bells, or something like it could be cool on top of a duster. Approveable?

I'm also open to other knee options, although I am sure that I could easily use standard Fett knees.

I've made Biker Scout "diapers" for my snow scout, and I believe that is acceptable for approval.  Is this what you call a loin cloth? I'd really rather not have a cod plate, if possible... so I will be researching options on this for sure...

Regarding armor...

The cheapest solution is to use an off-the-shelf kit. I have a local source that I trust... so this is a strong possibility.

(sample image from another vendor, IIRC...)

Are any modifications allowed to the armor to give additional depth or detail? I see some in these sample images, just wanting confirmation...

http://mandalorianmercs.org/get-involved/costume-requirements/

The vest...

I'm planning on a basic vest in Captain Mal red/purple. basic, standard template. Most likely with a built-in neck seal.

Rough example...

Other thoughts:

Possible shemagh as a neck seal? Probably not, but I do love shemaghs.  :)

Holster/ammo belt/pouches would be custom made to fit the blasters. We have an amazing local cyodarun who has done leather work for many folks for years. I would likely use her.

...so here again is my very craptastic first design trying to incorporate most of the elements. I could always start without the duster and add a cape to start, as the duster mods would likely take some time to get right....

This is all very much in the planning stages for now, but I have some great local vendors to draw from, including vac forming, 3D printing, laser cutting, etc...

So... tear it apart, tell me where I am off track (especially on the helmets), and LMK any other pitfalls to avoid...

Edited: removed links/images of vendors

Adding the Widowmaker to a possible helmet choice: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=140509.0

Also loving the celtic design helmet:

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=133457.0

I'll keep plugging through the vendor area....

Rough tries of armor and helmet:

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2017, 07:18 PM by Obey Wann » Logged

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.

The cheapest solution is to use an off-the-shelf kit. I have a local source that I trust... so this is a strong possibility.

There's a lot in there, so I'll respond to what I can lol. 

The cheapest solution is to buy a sheet of Sintra and cut your plates out of that.

Also you're allowed to add depth of detail one of the keywords for that is "Trauma Plating"

There's a 20% rule on crossovers -- meaning 20% of your kit can be not Mandoish -- storm trooper bits etc.  It should be "inspired by" not  Mal walks into Mos Eisley. Which I think is what you're going for anyway. 

My bucket has vents on the earcaps covered with black panty hose.

One question to be answered with dusters is where the shoulder plates get mounted. I don't have the answer here, but it's something to investigate for approval.

I'm sure Bowfanny will chime in soon about the approvability of the helmets you have a question on.  I made mine, but I followed the original build of the widowmaker, and really like the design.  Still, I like telling the story on my home-depot bucket bucket, so I think I'll hang onto it.

Also-- quick tech rule here on the Merc forums.  You really aren't supposed to post consecutively on your thread unless it's been several days since a reply.  Edit your previous post to include the new updates in the meantime. 

Good luck on your build, sounds like you've got a lot of experience!

Obey Wann

The cheapest solution is to buy a sheet of Sintra and cut your plates out of that.

I'm in Denver, and word from the locals is that Sintra is a no-go up here at altitude. It gets brittle when vac formed. I have a local propmaker who owes me something, so I'm checking to see if I can call that favor for some ABS armor plates. 

There's a 20% rule on crossovers -- meaning 20% of your kit can be not Mandoish -- storm trooper bits etc.   

Good info -- thanks!

It should be "inspired by" not  Mal walks into Mos Eisley. Which I think is what you're going for anyway. 

Yeah, going for inspired-by, for sure.  The goal is to have it fit in well with local approved kits, but have any Browncoats do a double-take and get the reference.  :)

Also-- quick tech rule here on the Merc forums.  You really aren't supposed to post consecutively on your thread unless it's been several days since a reply.  Edit your previous post to include the new updates in the meantime. 

Thanks! I'll clean up the thread. Easy-peasy. Apologies for the breach in nettiquette. Cleaning things up now...

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
I'm in Denver, and word from the locals is that Sintra is a no-go up here at altitude. It gets brittle when vac formed. I have a local propmaker who owes me something, so I'm checking to see if I can call that favor for some ABS armor plates. 

Ah, wouldn't have thought to vaccuform it... most of us here just use a heat gun and hand shape.   There are some people who've done the same with ABS too though.   But if you can get it at the brother-in-law price, go for it!

Welcome to the mercs!

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
Oya OW! Glad to see another Denver person preparing on the forums. Your concept is overall very good.

Another mando I have seen you may like and seems similar.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=140475.0

So for buckets, I think your best bet is to wait for Bowfanny (he is the best), or go through the pepekura lists and see what you like. I actually did a scratch build and am finding it to be very very easily customizable.

Armor - recommendation is to use ABS for the base and something softer (Sintra) for the trauma plates to add depth. Sintra does get brittle when vac formed or overworked (heated more than once or twice). http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94658.0 This WIP thread has lots of info on trauma plates and good ideas.

Most of your kit is centered around soft parts, check out that section of the forum for more ideas. Read the WIPs and finished products. I know it helped me settle on how to handle my own.

Looking forward to seeing what you pull together.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Obey Wann

Thanks, that info on Sintra/Foamex helps a lot. Also, I think you are the one who sent me to this WIP thread:

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94658.45

I love the use of the foamex on the shoulders and backplate... well... all of it. It's definitely showing me options beyond standard-issue. I'm thinking of doing something similar now on top of the duster, similar to the Australian duster shoulders shown here:

I love the layered back plating here:

As well as the custom foamex holsters. Depending on the cost per sheet, it could be a lot of fun to play with this.

I also really like the idea of adding in extra plates. Unfortunately, I still have some extra girth... this would cover that up with more armor:

Thanks for giving me ideas!

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
I have also done a similar back plate design using ABS.

Feel free to talk with me through some of this. I might do some upgrades once I am OM to my plates and add some thickness via trauma plates.

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Obey Wann

I got a great response in this thread re: dusters and shoulder armor:

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130487.195

so what they told me is that the duster either needs to be sleeveless or have "capped" sleeves. what that means is you take the normal flak vest shoulder bells, like on jango and boba's flak vest and put that on the duster instead of a mantle or regular sleeves and u can mount the shoulder bells to that.

So, that led me to this design...

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

noBiggie

• When I left you, I was but the learner.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Love your idea! Consider me following!

ha think that's my reply XD one of the members of my clan is making me a short sleeved duster I can mount my plates to as well, love your design!! keep it up!!

If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger gun!

Obey Wann

Thanks! No further progress beyond design at this point. I have a hunch I'll start working on it after the holidays.

Here's hoping!

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

bolakor

• I like my pirates like my coffee. Burnt.
Hello! So much to read I'm not sure if this has been responded to, but, about the Zerocoolpropshop mandowar bucket you mentioned getting, I actually ordered one and was told I would need to modify or remove the earcaps and xwing parts, otherwise it will not go OM. I plan on modifying it to keep the ventilation, pm me maybe we can find a way to make the ears and all that approvable

Soft goods; 50% done
Armor; 0% done
weapons; 20% done
ideas; 110%

"You are most welcome here, my dear woman. I have an endless supply of theories about Jedi abilities—yet I keep running out of Jedi."
―Demagol

Obey Wann

Thanks, bolakor! After getting various feedback, I decided to move away from the Zerocoolpropshop bucket.

I started the ordering process yesterday with a trip to chat with Darth Hair. He is a local who makes Mando armor (and a TON of other stuff like X-Wing, Tusken, etc...), and I will be getting all of the chest parts, knees, and some extra ABS so I can make the back and shoulders. And some stuff for my 15-y.o. son. So now I am starting the commitment, but it will be a longer-term thing.

For the helmet, we will both go with the NME Stalker. I would very much like to look into some type of acceptable 3D printed ear caps that give ventilation.

I won't start building anything soon, but I did attend a local armor party yesterday, and saw great examples in-person of trauma plating and of the use of magnets to secure armor to the vest.

Cool idea for modding a kama to make it more armored:

And this was a great way to modify a flashlight to light up a blade:

I'll be getting my base armor after the TLJ madness, and then might start stuff after New Year's. It'll be a while until I can order the bucket, so it will probably be at least 6 months until I am done.

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2017, 11:38 AM by Obey Wann » Logged

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Hey, I know that armour! Chris is good people.

Overall, a nice concept. I look forward to seeing your build progress.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Ellen

• Call me Sha'el Cla
I love the armored kama idea! One the best parts of being a  Mando is being able to customize everything.  :)

Design is everything. Why buy it when you can build it?

Obey Wann

I love the armored kama idea! One the best parts of being a  Mando is being able to customize everything.  :)

I do, too. It is what led me to the Mandos. After so many 501st/RL by the book kits, I'm ready for some personality.

I'll probably do the armored kama until I can do the duster justice. That could get pricey.

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

Ellen

• Call me Sha'el Cla
I do, too. It is what led me to the Mandos. After so many 501st/RL by the book kits, I'm ready for some personality.

I'll probably do the armored kama until I can do the duster justice. That could get pricey.

I've done a lot of research when it comes to buying supplies, and that has helped me to keep the cost down. Amazon and Menards have been big super savers for me.

Design is everything. Why buy it when you can build it?

Obey Wann

I've never been in a Menards. Looking forward to checking them out.  :)

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
Looks like you have a good grasp of where you are headed. One thing that jumped out at me that hasn't really been responded to is your desire for vented ear caps. Any particular reason it has to be the ears that are vented? I have a medium stalker i am slowly working on, and there is places on the back for quite a lot of venting. Cut in your vents, install some mesh so people can't see through them, and you have one of the best vented helmets around, without messing with new ear caps or anything.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Sep Ho'ban

The ear vents on my helmet (covered with black pantyhose) are there for hearing, not so much air flow.   They help a lot.

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
The ear vents on my helmet (covered with black pantyhose) are there for hearing, not so much air flow.   They help a lot.
I thought not being able to hear was half the fun :p

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Obey Wann

Any particular reason it has to be the ears that are vented? I have a medium stalker i am slowly working on, and there is places on the back for quite a lot of venting. Cut in your vents, install some mesh so people can't see through them, and you have one of the best vented helmets around, without messing with new ear caps or anything.

I want to tweak the ears for both hearing and ventilation... and also to change up the profile a bit from standard.

I'm investigating creating custom 3D print files for ear caps that have the venting and hearing capabilities I'm looking for, and I'm also researching and designing up some custom parts to change up the profile of the helmet a bit. Similar to the add-on greeblies on Commander Cody's helmet, and sorta like trauma plating for a helmet:

I also have a couple of GoPro cameras and a Sony Action Cam, and I'm going to try to incorporate a mount that holds the camera and mounts it to the helmet. I'm going to play with 3D print files or cobble together something to create a Swarzy mount for that that goes on the side of my helmet.

Because this is going to be something like my 17th kit... and a fully custom one to boot... I want to correct issues I have had with past kits, especially the helmets. It is also important for me to create a custom profile/shape of my kit that is truly unique to my build. I don't want my side profile to be too similar to another person trooping with me. If I'm going to be custom... I want to be as custom as I can.

Don't get me wrong, I've thoroughly enjoyed the other kits.... but each has its own liabilities and eccentricities -- try seeing, hearing and breathing in a Tusken kit, for instance!  ;) But they are and have been -- by definition -- identical to other kits of that type. That is part of doing a standard issue kit for the 501st and RL.

So if I'm going to do this, I want to do it my way -- within the understood guidelines and restrictions of the MMCC.  :)

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

Obey Wann

So a thing happened yesterday. I took a trip to Darth hair (DH-P/FX)'s shop yesterday, and came home with two sets of armor. One for me, and one for my son.

We move from Denver to South Bend next week, and we will start working on the kits after we get settled in.

I'm looking at doing some EL wire, or EL panels in it, using parts from Sparkfun or other vendors: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12925

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107
What program are you using to draw the concept of your armor? The mando maker I went to isn't nearly as robust as what you are showing.

Obey Wann

What program are you using to draw the concept of your armor? The mando maker I went to isn't nearly as robust as what you are showing.

I just did a screencap of the mando maker, then threw it into Photoshop.

I then pulled various bits from my reference images as separate files. I turned them into .PNGs so they are transparent, and it let me move around bits, such as the blaster and the duster.

Each separate item is a separate PNG, and I can move parts around or modify them separately, as I want to try new concepts. It's a ghetto hack, but I'm not a graphic artist, so it let me get close enough to try things.

Other parts are just layers that I painted on using the drawing tools in PS.

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2018, 12:24 PM by Obey Wann » Logged

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!