Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flak Vest (WIP) - Advice sought please

• 5 Replies

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Operations Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
Flak Vest (WIP) - Advice sought please
« on: Nov 05, 2017, 04:15 PM »
I'm looking for some advice on my Flak Vest pattern.  The only material I had available to practice with was some sheer curtains that we no longer used, so pardon the see-through element.

The right side will have grommets and a leather lace to tie it closed (it's just pinned in the picture.)  I believe it came out too long and needs to be a few inches shorter.  Other than that can anyone give me any suggestions or advice on how it looks compared to how it should look?

Thanks!

MMCC // #2191      Brigades #323
Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)
Striker Division: Spec Ops- Recon (Approved)

Justice, and Vengence. Though not necessarily in that order.

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Flak Vest (WIP) - Advice sought please
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2017, 05:58 PM »
Not bad, like you said it is a bit long and maybe a bit wide in the shoulder. Other then that it seems like a good start to a vest. You'll want to make sure it fits snug to you so your armor stays put.

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Operations Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2017, 09:00 PM »
Not bad, like you said it is a bit long and maybe a bit wide in the shoulder. Other then that it seems like a good start to a vest. You'll want to make sure it fits snug to you so your armor stays put.

Thank you.  I see the shoulder thing now.  It should hit where the dip starts on the top of my shoulder when I raise my arm past 90 degrees, correct?

I'm also thinking maybe the shoulder holes should be a bit more oblong and dip a bit more in the armpit.  I'd rather cut it out and have to remove fabric though; easier to remove than add.  :D

Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2017, 12:31 PM »
It might help to have some darts in the front and back to help it fit a little better as well. I'm not sure if you were planning on doing this or not.

A word of advice about lacing though; it can be a pain in the shebs to deal with. Even more so if you can't see where the grommets are for lacing. A good rule of thumb is if you can't do it yourself unassisted, then try not to use it. Velcro closures, snaps, clips, buttons. My suggestion would be anything other than lacing and grommets. Leather lacing is also notorious for breaking as well.

~Kaylin

Mirdala Kyr’am
Alor'ad- Vhetin'Ade Clan; June 2022- Present
Ruus'alor Solyc- Vhetin'Ade Clan; 2017- 2022
App Team Q&A
Ruus'sol for Western Region- USA
OM #1899

Tor Johaair

• Tor Johaa'ir
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2017, 11:31 PM »
It might help to have some darts in the front and back to help it fit a little better as well. I'm not sure if you were planning on doing this or not.

A word of advice about lacing though; it can be a pain in the shebs to deal with. Even more so if you can't see where the grommets are for lacing. A good rule of thumb is if you can't do it yourself unassisted, then try not to use it. Velcro closures, snaps, clips, buttons. My suggestion would be anything other than lacing and grommets. Leather lacing is also notorious for breaking as well.

~Kaylin

Thanks for the advice.  I noticed how hard it was to undo the saftey pins I used to hold it in place today while working on it.  I'm leaning towards Velcro(tm) now instead of the grommets and leather.

Here's the link to my latest update (pictures of the sewing on the vest so far) on my area's Clan sub-forum.  I welcome anyone to take a look and offer advice.  This is my first time doing this kind of sewing, so I'm learning as I go.  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=142339.msg1813009#msg1813009

« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2017, 11:49 PM by Tor Johaair » Logged
Tor Johaa'ir (Approved)

KaylinSilverfurr

• OM #1899 / Cabur Akaata #119 / M.L.C.S. #42
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I noticed how hard it was to undo the saftey pins I used to hold it in place today while working on it.  I'm leaning towards Velcro(tm) now instead of the grommets and leather.

Here's the link to my latest update (pictures of the sewing on the vest so far) on my area's Clan sub-forum.  I welcome anyone to take a look and offer advice.  This is my first time doing this kind of sewing, so I'm learning as I go.  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=142339.msg1813009#msg1813009

I'll take a boo over there very shortly.
Its also worth pointing out that we cover lacing on boots, so adding lacing onto a vest would probably be something that the App Team would ding you for. Velco is probably the best way to go with this, and you can spruce it up into little tabs to add variation/detail if you really want. Just make sure you look for the industrial strength velcro. You can also use it on your plates as well. Makes for easy on and off. :)

~Kaylin

Mirdala Kyr’am
Alor'ad- Vhetin'Ade Clan; June 2022- Present
Ruus'alor Solyc- Vhetin'Ade Clan; 2017- 2022
App Team Q&A
Ruus'sol for Western Region- USA
OM #1899

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!