Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kayl'ana's First kit - Sabine (most likely) S4 WIP

• 16 Replies
Kayl'ana's First kit - Sabine (most likely) S4 WIP
« on: Nov 13, 2017, 02:45 PM »
Hello!

So, like the title said, this is my first kit and I'm doing Sabine. I would like to do a Season 4 paint scheme but I'm waiting for the season 4 reference to make my final choice. I'm unsure mainly because I wanted to do a light gear kit to start, and maybe later upgrade to an heavy kit. But for now Sabine has only been wearing heavy gear in season 4... so...

Anyway I'm starting my WIP even if I'm not very far along because, frankly I'm a bit clueless and might need direction! I started doing the armor pieces. I took Eitanya's pattern (OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!) and I scaled them down a little bit cause it felt too big. So here is the result after cutting them. I still need to sand them.

So my first concern is: shoulders bells.
In the CRL here it states:
Must appear to be at least 3mm thick. Must have six points and must curve around the upper arm and shoulder.
6 points? I'm looking at other WIP and also the shoulders from mandalorian arsenals, they look like they only have 4 points. Am I missing something?
I did crude patterns by tracing over my shoulder. Once has 4 points and the other 6 points. I put the shoulders next to it to compare size. The plastic wrap on the right is what I use to trace my shoulder.

Do you think that looks good?
I know some people are using 4'' PVC elbows from the hardware store to do the shoulder. I went to the hardware store to take a look, but I was very intimidated! The PVC looks very thick and I don't know how I would cut it or make sure it's the right size and shape... Do you think, down the line, that it's easier to take a 4'' PVC elbow VS doing the shape myself?

Second (current) concern: soft parts
My knowledge of sewing is very limited and I'll try to get help, but I would like to get a better idea of what to use. I get that the soft parts must be at least part cotton, with stretch (more so for the pants), but what type of fabric did you use for your soft parts? Anyone have links to some online resources or store (even if I'll probably buy it in a local store, it'll give me a good idea).
[EDIT] OK I checked some fabric on my local store's website. What do you think of those for the pants:
- Darker part : http://www.clubtissus.com/en/tricot-jersey-softique-taupe
- Lighter part: www.clubtissus.com/en/twill-extensible-docksider-beige-07
I'm not sure if those 2 fabrics work together as they don't seem to be the same weight?
For the shirt, of the black, either:
- www.clubtissus.com/en/twill-extensible-docksider-noir-02
OR - www.clubtissus.com/en/tricot-bambou-french-terry-noir-02 (I'm not sure about Terry knit...)

Also, I'm guessing there will be a zipper in the back of the shirt to get in and out of it? I'm checking different WIP and this is very mentioned so... I want to double check!

Thank you very much for reading and thanks in advance for any comment!

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2017, 07:26 PM by Kayl'ana » Logged

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Kayl'ana's First kit - Sabine (most likely) S4 WIP
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2017, 08:33 PM »
Hi Kayl'ana, it looks like you have a great start so far with the pieces you've cut out!

For your question about the shoulder bells, I'm not too sure either why the CRL says six points.  When I made mine I went over the reference photos pretty carefully and only did four points.  Best guess is that the CRL was written before season 3 started and whatever images were out at the time made it appear as if there were six points. 

The pvc elbow pipes do look thick at first, but that's because they widen up so they can connect.  They're really not much thicker than sintra on the large area where you would be cutting the piece.  A dremel will cut the pipe just fine, I used a reinforced cutting wheel and it did the job great.  If you do go that route though just make sure to cut them a hair outside of the lines so that you have room to sand the edges, because it will take a bit more sanding than sintra.  I think the extra effort on cutting and sanding is worth it though since you don't have to worry about trying to shape that curve or figure out darts and stuff, and they look pretty sweet when they're done! 

As for the soft parts, I would recommend going to a fabric store and choosing the fabric in person if you can.  It's nice to be able to feel the fabric before you buy it. 

The second twill link looks good, just make sure that you also get twill for the other pants fabric.  I wouldn't recommend using the first link for pants since it's a jersey knit (basically like t-shirt material) and will stretch differently from the twill.  Twill is the weave that jeans generally have, so it has a nice structure to it for making pants.  Although if you want the pants to fit more like leggings than jeans then a heavier knit fabric would be best.  Now here's the most important part to keep in mind: don't buy any fabric until you decide which season you're doing.  Season 3 Sabine has the brown pants from the other seasons, but season 4 Sabine has new pants that match the shirt.  If you do season 4 then just make sure that pants and shirt fabric matches.  If you go with different types of fabric for the pants and shirt then I would recommend for sure going to a fabric store since it will be really difficult to match up the colours online, especially the grey.

For the shirt you'll want a knit a for sure, wovens just don't have the stretch needed to be as fitted as Sabine's shirt is without added seaming.  Jersey knit would work well for the shirt, or also a sports lycra would be good.  I went with the sports lycra since it's a bit heavier than a regular knit and seemed to hold it's colour more when stretched out. 

A lot of people do the zipper yes, but you don't have to do one if you don't want to.  I'm really bad at sewing zippers, so I found this pattern https://megannielsen.com/collections/all-products/products/rowan which would eliminate the need for a zipper down the back.  A long sleeve turtle neck pattern would also do the job, but the nice thing about the bodysuit is that the shirt won't come untucked as stretchy fabrics do tend to do.  Just make sure that whatever pattern you use only has standard seams along the sides, you don't want to have to deal with figuring out how to place the lighter panel over a shirt with seams on the front.  Just a note: if you decide to go with a fabric that doesn't have as much stretch for the shirt (aka twill or another woven) then you will want a zipper down the back for sure.

I hope this helps some!  It would be really cool if you did the season 4 version, not too many people have started that one yet.  If you have any questions please feel free to pm me anytime.  Good luck!

Instagram: @evaarla_kal
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2017, 09:47 PM »
Thank you so much for your answer, that's really helpful!

Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice the pants color change in season 4!! I took many screenshots and it seems I focused on the armor and its colors. I think that just shows I really have to double-check all parts before committing to season 4. I wish we could get official reference!

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2017, 12:14 AM »
Anytime :)

There will probably be official references soon, I think a colour chart has been released for Sabine for every season so far.  It can definitely be tricky keeping up with all the changes, to be honest I also missed the colour change in the pants too at first until a friend pointed it out lol. 

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:54 PM »
Update on my progress!
I sanded all current parts of the armor. I also shaped them all except for the shin armor. I'm unsure about the shaping of the breast plates, but once I have all parts done (including the shoulder bells) then I'll post a picture for feedback.
For the bells I'll try the 4'' PVC elbow option. I need to go back to the hardware store to get them so... more to come soon.

For the soft parts, I checked online and found some interesting lycra options:
- Charcoal: http://www.clubtissus.com/en/tricot-sportif-supplex-charbon
- Grey: www.clubtissus.com/en/lycra-poseidon-gris-19 (it says "silver", "swimwear" and "slightly shiny" so I'm not really sure it's a good option!)
Those 2 are at a local shop so I'll try to go and see in person

I also found another option, but online only:
- Charcoal: https://fabricville.com/en/fabrics/fashion-fabrics/4-way-stretch-euro-tricot-charcoal.html
- Grey: https://fabricville.com/en/fabrics/fashion-fabrics/4-way-stretch-euro-tricot-grey.html

Since the top and pants have the same color I was thinking on using the same fabric. Good idea or not?
Also anyone has a good pattern for the pants? I'm really a newbie for sewing so for sure a pattern would help!

Again the CRL puzzles me, for the "flight suit":
Must be a cotton or cotton blend stretch material
So lycra wouldn't be accepted? Maybe I'm too obsessed with the CRL? I really want to get this right.

Thank you for reading. Thanks in advance for any help and comment!

« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2017, 09:00 PM by Kayl'ana » Logged

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2017, 12:36 AM »
Again the CRL puzzles me, for the "flight suit":So lycra wouldn't be accepted? Maybe I'm too obsessed with the CRL? I really want to get this right.

Oh good catch!  I hadn't even noticed that in the CRLs.  Honestly though I think that as long as the outfit is in the right colours and fits properly then the exact type of fabric probably shouldn't be an issue, but it would definitely be best to check with the app team on that. 

Both of these patterns would be simple to sew and modify for Sabine for stretchy fabrics.  And as bonus, the first one comes with a really cute shirt pattern as well!
https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7691
https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6173

If you see the first fabric in store and like it, then you could probably dye the white version to grey.  That would be more work though.  You definitely won't want to use the slightly shiny silver fabric, as cool as that would be.  But yeah, if you like the lycra option then check with the app team before actually buying any.

Looking forward to seeing the armour!

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2017, 03:46 PM »
I asked the question for the soft parts on the brigade forum and I'm waiting to hear back.
I bought some PVC 4'' pipes but I'm waiting for the weather to be better to cut them (freezing rain is not the best to work outside)!

So in the meantime, since I have no official reference for S4 yet I decided to make some analysis of the different pieces, shape and color. I want to know what is similar to previous seasons and what is different. Obviously, being Sabine, colors are different, but is there anything else.

Helmet and RF
  • Same design as before
  • Colors are purple, yellow, burgundy and gray

Shoulder bells
  • Right shoulder bell seem unchanged from season 3
  • Left
    • Bird on left bell is smaller than S3 and mostly green with white eyes
    • Rest is yellow with some redish and purpleish weathering spots

Shoulders
  • Right
    • Red, yellow and purple(?) near the neck
    • Heavy weathering in the back
  • Left
    • Purple and yellow

Elbows
  • Both are orange with fair amount of weathering
  • Unchanged from S3?
Left Right

Hands
  • Right
    • Purple with red line
    • IUnchanged from S3?
  • Left
    • Purple with yellow corner
    • S or lightning bolt design in what looks like burgundy and yellow lines
    • Design might be unchanged from S3 but colors look different
    • Need to find more pictures
Right Left

Breast Plates
  • Purple and yellow
  • Right plate has 2 large yellow lines
  • Left plate has the same phoenix design as below, in yellow. Red color is visible near the design
  • Diamond is fully yellow

Knees
  • Right is purple with yellow large stripe in the middle
  • Still need to find a good reference for left knee. Look like purple with yellowish weathering? (see shin image bellow)

Shin
  • Right
    • Purple with redish large vertical line at the top, not visible after the "ammo"
    • Yellow circular line near the foot, which continues on the foot armor
  • Left looks completely purple. Will need to find other pictures

Hair
  • Dark purple
  • End seems to be a bit lighter

Soft parts
  • Both top and pants are now charcoal and grey

Full body reference pictures

As for the gauntlets, belts and blasters they look identical from S3 so I didn't add pictures.

Please, pretty please, if you realize any of what I'm saying above is wrong, if I made a mistake or if you have a different interpretation of the reference, please let me know!

Thank you for reading!

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2017, 05:59 PM »
To answer your question about using Lycra for her soft parts, you can. There are several approved Sabines who use lycra material. I'm (slowly) doing season 1 myself and am using the same material. I'm not sure why the CRL hasn't been amended, tbh.

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2017, 06:26 PM »
Great! Thank you so much!
I was waiting on this confirmation to buy the material and figure out how to do this thing!

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2017, 10:59 PM »
Hey vod!  I also researched Sabine's season 4 paint a bit and can help with a couple things on your paint list.

Check out this screenshot here:

It looks like the elbow plate paint actually did change from season 3 (burgundy weathering under the orange) to season 4 (purple weathering under the orange).  This picture shows it matches the purple on her chest plates pretty well.

Also you were asking about the left hand, and this screenshot shows that it didn't change from season 3.  I have a bunch of season 3 reference pictures if you need some more :)  (The shape looks off in this picture because her hands are stretched and her armour can "magically" move with her body, I checked other images and the actual shape hasn't changed at all.)

This picture also gives a really nice view of the design on the gauntlets, it's the one I'm going use for painting the season 3 gauntlets :)

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2017, 09:04 AM »
Thank you! A lot of information from that picture!
I'm keeping it in my references

AliyaJ

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2017, 03:48 PM »
Great references!!! :D I've been trying to collect more, but only have about what you've got here. :) I know how you feel about the color. It changes so much between night and day.

« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2017, 02:10 PM »
Hello!

So I'm still here, working on this!
I made some progress on the armor itself, the pieces are now shaped, sanded and some are primed. I don't know why I started this in November, just before it's snowing all the time and with -15 C outside, not a good time for spray painting!! It's a bit discouraging!

I made 2 prototypes for the shoulder bells, one with 4 points the other with 6 points. I still don't know which one to use, though I prefer the general shape of the 4 points.

4 points

6 points

In the meantime I bought some fingerless gloves and tried to find some boots in local store. So far without success.

Since I can't really spray paint for the next 3-4 months at least, did anyone get approved with "brush painted" armor (sorry I don't really know the right term for this)? I bought some Liquitex Basics acrylic paint to give it a try. Any good advice for painting armor or youtube tutorials must-watch? I was really planning on spray painting everything but it's not progressing right now and I find it very frustrating.

Also, does anyone made their own belts, holsters and pouches? My partner is starting leatherworking now (taking it very seriously) and he would like to try doing the Sabine belts. Any patterns out there for Sabine?

Thank you very much for reading!

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2018, 01:48 PM »
I think AliyaJ has painted parts in acrylic. I think as long as you clear coat everything, it should be good.

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=133188.msg1734206#msg1734206

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure most Sabines use a combination of spray paint and acrylic. Majority of the plates are done with spray paint, then acrylics are used for the detailing, if that makes sense.

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!