Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Hello from Vancouver

• 12 Replies

CaptainCunning

• Wait, that's TODAY???
Hello from Vancouver
« on: Nov 14, 2017, 01:21 PM »
Hey, guys! My name is Danny and I'm already an approved member of the 501st with the Outer Rim Garrison (I'm sure some of you know me already  :D ) and I'm still bummed I wasn't able to troop with them at Fan Expo this last weekend. I'm looking to start on a Kal Skirata, but I've not really got any ideas on where to start with purchasing armour, soft parts, or things like that. If I've got the time I'll come by an armour party when one comes up, but unfortunately almost all of my weekends and weekday evenings are booked with work and school. I look forward to working with you folks!

Cheers and thanks,

- Danny

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2017, 01:27 PM by CaptainCunning » Logged

Ciryc Ca'tra

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 40% increase or more
Re: Hello from Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2017, 02:13 PM »
Hi Danny! It was great meeting you this weekend (Mando with the purple and blue colored hair ;) )

I will definitely keep you updated on any upcoming ap's!

As for armor- are you planning on making your own, or are you looking to commission the pieces you need?

Wasu'ran Clan/ Alo'rad/ MMCC#1851/ V.O.T.S. #78

Talren Adira

• Awards 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2017, 02:19 PM »
Welcome Danny! I am super excited to see where you go with a Kal Skirata kit! 

WolfofWinter

• Sho'cye Buurenaar-
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2017, 02:38 PM »
Hi Danny and welcome to the Mercs!

Shame you couldn't make to Fan Expo, it was a lot of fun!  There are quite a few Mercs on the mainland (I'm an Islander)that can help you out!

Are you making your own armour (or wanting to) or just buying it?  There are quite a few armour parties on the mainland and Im sure some of the mainland Mercs can get int ouch with you!

Welcome Vod!  You're in the right spot!

Cheers

Hunt or  be Hunted
MMCC# 1971
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #126
New Death Watch Order #45

CaptainCunning

• Wait, that's TODAY???
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2017, 04:04 PM »
I'd absolutely LOVE to build my own armour with templates (And I remember hearing that JenC enjoys making them ;D ) But I'm not entirely sure which material I'd like to have the armour made from. I'd like something solid that has a bit of weight to it because I don't really like wearing bulky things that are weightless. I've got pretty much no experience with fabricating armour from scratch, so any help is appreciated!

WolfofWinter

• Sho'cye Buurenaar-
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2017, 05:06 PM »
I'd absolutely LOVE to build my own armour with templates (And I remember hearing that JenC enjoys making them ;D ) But I'm not entirely sure which material I'd like to have the armour made from. I'd like something solid that has a bit of weight to it because I don't really like wearing bulky things that are weightless. I've got pretty much no experience with fabricating armour from scratch, so any help is appreciated!

That's awesome, well you are in the right place if you want to build your own set of armour!  6 mm Sintra would be good to use if you want something with some weight to it. 
My own armour is vacuum formed ABS and isn't too heavy.  There are lots of tutorials on YouTube and right here on the forums, and there are lots of people here to help get you started.

If you are doing a Kal Skirata check here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/895-2/

Armour templates can be found here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/get-involved/costume-templates/

Hope that gets you started and let me know if you need anything else!

Hunt or  be Hunted
MMCC# 1971
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #126
New Death Watch Order #45

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2017, 01:52 AM »
Welcome from Burnaby!  I usually host armor parties every other weekend or so, but with the holiday season upon us, I'm burried at work and school so they are on hold until January.  There are occasional ones in Olympic Village as well, but they aren't on a fixed schedule. (yet?)

We're here for you.  I highly recommend making your plates, but I entirely understand that some times time and effort are worth more than money and it's just easier to buy.  If you choose to buy, we can put you in touch with people who do commissions.   If you choose to build, we can provide a shop to work in and help every step of the way.  Personally, I agree about the weight.  6mm sintra is the way to go for most people. 

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2017, 02:08 AM »
Heya! My name is Michelle and I met Jen at  fanexpo this weekend( I was a female Boba)  and was hoping to hit up an armor party as well. Haven't had luck with sintra in the past and built my current armor from worbla and craft foam. Not sure that's up to code though. I definitely need help navigating all the rules.

You're no good to me decaf.

Ciryc Ca'tra

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 40% increase or more
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:19 PM »
Heya! My name is Michelle and I met Jen at  fanexpo this weekend( I was a female Boba)  and was hoping to hit up an armor party as well. Haven't had luck with sintra in the past and built my current armor from worbla and craft foam. Not sure that's up to code though. I definitely need help navigating all the rules.

Hi Michelle! It was awesome to meet you and i'm glad you found us on the forums :D

Keep an eye out on this mssg board for upcoming events.

You can also add me on facebook if it's easier to communicate that way
(Jen Cleroux-Kamsteeg) Same goes to you, Danny!

Wasu'ran Clan/ Alo'rad/ MMCC#1851/ V.O.T.S. #78

Talren Adira

• Awards 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2017, 11:42 AM »
Danny, I agree with several others here that 6mm sintra will likely be the most workable material given that you want something with a little weight to it, but it is still relatively easy to work with. Like many of the others have said we are here to help and hope to see you at an armor party when we get them going again after the holidays!

Also welcome Michelle! You found the right place for sure! Sadly, I do not believe Worbla or craft foam on it's own is approvable, and I can understand your problems with Sintra, it can be a tricky beast specially any sort of complex curve (my chest plates were a journey, let me tell you), but between the group here we can certainly give you a hand working with it.  We have a unique feature here on the forums which you may have already run across which is the Female armor Specific forums http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?board=88.0. These have some great information for those who identify towards the female side, and have fantastic input from folks of all sorts of body types and armor types for both plates and soft kit. 

Feel free to ask questions,  or just chat with us! Welcome again to you both!

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2017, 02:35 AM »
Welcome Michelle and Danny!  So glad to see both of you have found your way here.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2017, 03:22 PM »
Welcome to you both, Danny and Michelle! 8)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2017, 12:54 AM »
Hi Michelle!   I saw you at FanExpo but we didn't get to chat, I'm glad that Jen found you.  Welcome to the forums!   I usually have armor parties at my shop in Burnaby every other weekend or so, but they are currently on hold for the holiday season due to wok.  I'll be starting them back up ASAP.   Feel free to hit me up here or on Facebook (Zophar Petty there) if you'd like.

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!