Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

CaptainCunning's Kal Skirata Build

• 9 Replies

CaptainCunning

• Wait, that's TODAY???
CaptainCunning's Kal Skirata Build
« on: Nov 18, 2017, 11:48 PM »
Hey, all! I'm going to go ahead and start my Kal Skirata build thread since I'm probably going to start working on it fairly soon. I've got a 4x4 sheet of 6mm sintra (thanks, Patrick!  :D ) that I'll be picking up sometime next week.  Before I begin my build in earnest, does anyone have tips on where to start? Should I get my soft parts before starting on the armour so that everything will be mocked up to how I'll actually be wearing it in costume or does that matter? Does anyone have a preferred or recommended soft parts maker? Additionally, I'm looking for some boots! The 501st CRL says brown chelsea-style boots are fine, but the Mercs CRL for Kal Skirata specifies a certain brand that I can't seem to find for sale online. Any advice, info, tips, etc. you folks have would be much appreciated!

Cheers, vode!

- Danny

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Re: CaptainCunning's Kal Skirata Build
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2017, 02:10 AM »
I haven't started, officially, but I planned on starting with the soft parts and building out as I've found that kits built that way look better fitted (perhaps just in my opinion, though). You can start with pretty much anything, however. Lots of people like to start with the helmet, as it's arguably the coolest and most iconic piece. Plenty of people jump on the plates first since they can be banged out relatively quickly, and some go with a few weapons first 8)

As for the boots, it would probably be best to check with someone on the App Team. I feel like if those specific boots called for aren't available anywhere they may allow the 501st standards to pass, or it could simply be an outdated CRL, but it would be best to clarify with them to be sure.

I'm not personally aware of any soft parts makers since I've always thought I'd end up doing it all myself, but GardenGeek has claimed to be pretty good with a sewing machine ;)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2017, 03:47 PM »
Garden Geek is, in fact, amazing at sewing!   :P 

And as for the Merona Rolando boots....I'm looking for an answer for you.  I've been looking online, and can't find any for sale, either.  So I've got the feelers out, and we'll see what alternatives, or leads, we can find for you, Cunning.

Edit:

So as best I can tell, the boots specified in the Kal Skirata CRL is no longer available for sale. Anywhere I can find.  So go with a brown chelsea-style boot, and you should be fine.

« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2017, 03:53 PM by Havelock » Logged
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 23

CaptainCunning

• Wait, that's TODAY???
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2017, 07:43 PM »
Thanks for the information, Havelock! As soon as I've got a bit of extra cash I'm going to head out and grab some boots! I'll be grabbing a bucket soon as well, I hope! I was wondering about who I should grab my belt and holsters from; I saw someone selling nice leather belts here on the forums, but I had questions about the number of pouches that are supposed to be on it. The Mercs CRL says that it should have seven (7), but further details only mention six (6), so I'm a bit confused.

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2017, 06:45 AM »
For leather work, "Demon Dog Studios" is run by a couple of Mandos (who are friends of mine so fully admit bias there :P ) and they do outstanding work.  I don't have a link on hand, but they are on facebook under that name and you can check out some of their other work and decide for yourself.  I am going to try to make my new  holsters, but if I fail, that is who I am going to contact.

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

CaptainCunning

• Wait, that's TODAY???
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:45 PM »

I picked up my Sintra today (and got way too many weirded out looks from people on public transit and at UBC :P ). I can't wait to start cutting it up!

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2017, 12:12 PM »
Since the CRLs specify locations for six pouches, I'd say you're safe with six, not seven.  If that changes, or if my knowledge is updated, I'll pass that along.  For now though, plan on 6.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 23

CaptainCunning

• Wait, that's TODAY???
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2017, 05:32 PM »
I've ordered my helmet and I'm currently searching for a backpack! I know that some people have made their own and there's at least one person who's got models to 3D print a pack, but it's prohibitively expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm down to make one myself, but if that's the route I go then I'd definitely not mind some recommendations for building materials!

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2017, 01:29 AM »
From my limited googleing of reference pics of this backpack, I'd say scratch building it out of more sintra and some PVC pipe would be the simplest method. It's mostly flat shapes, and simple curves, and would end up fairly light if you use those materials.

Of course it's still easier said than done :P

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Ciryc Ca'tra

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 40% increase or more
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2017, 03:37 PM »
Hey, how are things coming along?

Wasu'ran Clan/ Alo'rad/ MMCC#1851/ V.O.T.S. #78

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!