Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

NC Late Crusader WIP

• 35 Replies
Re: NC Late Crusader WIP
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2017, 01:16 AM »
I have been working on trying to find a design for my thigh armour that would tie into the other pieces, such as the chest and shin armour. I think I finally landed on a good medium. I was able to incorporate the fins from the shins and the pin slots from the chest armour.  I am anxious to hear your thoughts.

« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:12 PM »
This is a photo of all of the pieces I have thus far for my Late Crusader Era Mandalorian. I have to turn the backpack into a radio in order to hide the fact I was going for a Ralph McQuarrie Concept Boba Fett Style backpack.

What are your thoughts thus far?

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:12 PM »
My thoughts are hat I am highly impressed. This is going to be one of those builds that sets a new standard.

« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:35 PM »
Bowfanny,
You are too kind. I am just trying to make what I have in my head. I am having a hard time converting my backpack into a radio at the moment. I don't want to toss what I have in the garbage. I simply want to add to it and make it fit my needs.

I appreciate all of your advice and time that you have contributed to my build. You and Narran have been so instrumental me during this build.
For this I thank you so much.

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:42 AM »
Yeah...I'm with Bow.  This is definitely going to raise the bar for custom LC builds.  Quality is just top notch.  8)

« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2017, 03:19 PM »
Raestin Ke'Varek,

I certainly appreciate you and your comments. I So look forward to meeting you guys. I hope the next Celebration will be my opportunity to meet you all.

« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Ravik,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your complement. This has been such a learning experience. There are frustrations that go along with building a costume that has to conform to a Club's rules and regulations, but I will tell you, it has driven me to go the extra mile in trying to come up with original ideas. The guidance from the Veteran Mandos has been invaluable. I have combed through thousands of photos of other costumes and derived inspiration from so many different costumes. I feel like my next build will take me to the next level. My Son of course will get the pleasure of my gained knowledge though. He has already placed his name in the order of next builds. He wants Mandalorian Pilot. I'll get to explore that group of CRL's. However, I am not looking forward to building the helmet.

Again, many thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

« Reply #22 on: Mar 18, 2018, 12:32 AM »
So I have been absent without leave on updating my build WIP. I am sorry. I do have some update though.

Flight suit under construction. All details are done in 2-3 once black furniture grade leather with the exception to the neck seal. I may be changing the neck seal though. I am not sure my neck can take the rougher fabric I have chosen. We shall see.

Abdominal and Kidney Plate not yet attached:

Elbow Pad not yet attached:

Right Arm details:

Neck seal not yet attached:

Front Torso:

Left Thigh Pocket:

Knee Detail is on the inside seem going from the knee area to the groin area:

A shot of both knee details:

Neck Seal attached:

Flight Suit Complete Front and Lateral View

Flight Suit Complete Right Lateral View

Flight Suit Complete Rear

Flight Suit Complete Neck Seal

Flight Suit Complete Knee Detail

Next are images I have taken inspiration from for a Vibroblade:

This is a photo of the 3D printed hilt. I have some changes to make. The hand guard came out WAY to big. Having to resize this and have another go at it.

Those additional bits there are just some heatsinks i may be adding to my Rifle.

Big Question I have here for you experienced Late Crusader Era Gurus. What are the thoughts on the Boba Fett Style Chest Displays? I have purchased one from Fettronics and thought I should ask about it before I cut holes into my Chest Armour and mount it. Are the Digital Chest Displays allowed in the Late Crusader Era? If they are not, That's O.K. I can mount it on my Son's upcoming Pilot Costume. Just want to check before I make the move to cut holes...

I have some videos. Alas, I could not figure out how to post them using Imageshack. I feel like I have been able to do this before, but I am just too brain dead to try and figure it out. The videos are of my Helmet electronics, Backpack Blinky Bling, and Chest Display from Fettronics. I would like to give a Big Shout Out to a Gentleman I have met via Facebook. Matt Nelson from Blockade Runner's Supply. He has helped out tremendously with my electronics. I still have to put together my hearing aids for my helmet courtesy of our Very Own "Mandalore The Uniter's video tutorials.

I am anxious to hear your critiques and advice on anything I may be doing wrong or right. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Slade Kel

• Formerly 'Slade Kel (Marrok)'
  • Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #23 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:15 PM »
I can't see anything needed in the way of critiques, just compliments. The level of detail is spectacular and I can't wait to see it all assembled and worn :). You have clearly put considerable time and effort into crafting each piece, and it shows in the quality.

I'll have to leave the chest light question to those more fully versed, but I don't recall any examples of late era crusaders having them. It's been a few years since I've heavily looked at the reference images of them in the comics and such, though, so I could be mistaken.

QMU | M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #24 on: Mar 23, 2018, 08:01 PM »
I have seen some Late Crusader Era Armour reference photos from the comics, I believe, that had some sort of light on the right hand side on the chest. It was a single green light on the right upper chest. But that is the only example I can find as well.

I really appreciate your kind words of encouragement. I have indeed spent a lot of time crafting the costume armour pieces. As my level of skill is becoming greater, I find myself looking at stuff I made early on in the build second guessing if I should remake this piece or that piece.

But your encouragement is appreciated. Thank you so much.

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #25 on: Mar 29, 2018, 07:31 PM »
First...wow.  Just simply wow. You're doing some absolutely amazing work here.

Second, I was really digging that pressure suit, but the flight suit you're putting together is pretty bad shebs and I'm really looking forward to seeing it put together with all your other bits.

Third, the mythosaur pauldron is absolutely amazing.  Unfortunately, the mythosaur emblem is part of the Modern Era, and won't work with a Late Crusader kit.  This:

is a common LC Era symbol.  Hopefully it'll inspire you.

Fourth, your work is stellar. Seriously, very very good stuff, vod.  Your rifle, though, has a very Modern Era feel.  Crusader Era rifles are typically less sleek, more blocky, bulkier, less refined (?) ; it's hard for me to adequately describe.  But I'll leave some pictures for your perusal.

I'm really glad I came across your WiP; your skills are impressive, your attention to detail is amazing, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing this whole kit come together.

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2018, 07:37 PM by Havelock » Logged
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 16
« Reply #26 on: Mar 29, 2018, 08:25 PM »
Havelock,

I want to say thanks for the compliment. As for the Mythosaur Sigil, It has already been changed to another Sigil that is acceptable in the Late Crusader Era. I just haven't updated it just yet. As for the Rifle, I have been consulting with a Late Crusader Era Guru Narran Baatar. He did O.K. my rifle. I may be changing the rifle in the near future though. I just want to get approved before I go through making any more upgrades.

Many thanks though for your compliments.

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #27 on: Mar 30, 2018, 11:25 AM »
 :o :o :o

I want to first say, wow. Also, the way you modified the Stalker visor is SICK! 8) I can't wait to see this build completed. Cheers to you!

- Taakure Clan -

Vastoom

• How can I help you today?
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Force Hunter Brigade Member Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #28 on: Mar 31, 2018, 09:30 AM »
Got to agree with everyone so far I am glad I came across this wip. Your work with sintra is simply artful. I have thoroughly enjoyed catching up on this build. I am glad you are taking the time to make the flight suit detailing as it is a big part of the aesthetic for the late crusader era.  I will be watching with anticipation!

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 09:53 PM »
So I haven't posted anything in a few weeks now. For that, I am sorry.

A lot has gone on though with the construction of the Costume. A lot of the finer details have been being worked on.  So without further ado...

New Flight Suit was Designed and a New Seamstress was also found after the debacle of the previous Flight Suit. There is a Local Mando Merc OM here in Charlotte. She is Amazing. To say the least. She took mercy upon me after the whole ordeal which still isn't resolved from the previous flight suit.

Concept Flight Suit

And we worked on the concept together to bring out some cool details and work with a bunch of different textures to add depth and interest to the
Flight Suit. She made two seperate test muslin for fitting purposes and this is the final result.

Front

Back

Neck Seal

Left Arm with Pocket

Right Arm {A spot to put some cool looking flares I purchased from Demon Dog Studios. Also note the added texture on the forearm. These are raised panels}

Flare from Demon Dog Studios

Back Kidney Area

Back Closure around the Neck Seal

Left Leg

Outside of the Lower Leg

Knee {Please note the knees are padded}

Cross Section of the different fabrics used together to achieve some depth and additional texture.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!