Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

DragonLady's First Kit~

• 31 Replies

DragonLady

• Kad'la Saldha of Fireteam Saldha
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions
DragonLady's First Kit~
« on: Nov 26, 2017, 08:15 PM »
Greetings All,
Been lurking, learning, and patiently gathering for some time now.  Having started on a few things already, I thought this would be a good time to start up a WIP!

I'm going for a desert look, end goal of sniper, but just concentrating on basics to get official.
Here's a rough concept from MandoMaker:

There are a few tweaks I would like, such as markings and knee high spats or leg wraps. Thinking a bit of a poncho style cape, but not sure yet.
Anyways, I'm excited to finally get started!
~DragonLady

MMCC 2048
Shonare Vhekadla Clan 91
Cabur Akaata 142
O.O.P.S. 63
Vode Be Vhekad 23
WIP: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=144303.0

JR

• Jaro Ramikad
Re: DragonLady's First Kit~
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2017, 01:21 AM »
It looks fantastic! I am also going for the desert look, but with a different era and specialty.

WIP: www.goo.gl/WhPpc
Helmet 50/50% www.goo.gl/fHFE0
Soft Parts 70% www.goo.gl/hSMyM
Armor 75% www.goo.gl/JTtNO
Gaunts 100% www.goo.gl/NvRA6
Weapons 85% www.goo.gl/7JEef
Backpack 50% www.goo.gl/0CwLn
Droid 20% www.goo.gl/yisvW

"Nan utreekove ber, kisol kyrayc." : www.goo.gl/zXZBx

My website: http://novothule.com

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2017, 11:35 PM »
It seems like you've got a solid idea of where you want your kit to end up.  I'm eager to watch this evolve.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2017, 03:38 PM »
Nice concept :) can’t wait to see more from you!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Welcome to the no-longer-lurking side of things! ;D It's so important to have a vision of what you want to do, and the dessert idea is awesome. I can't wait to see this come to life!

DragonLady

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2017, 01:14 AM »
My flight suit came in, and mostly finished my vest/neck seal! (Yes yes, I know,  please do not mind zippers and pockets and all that, I have not cleaned up flight suit yet!! ). So wanted to do a rough placement of plates to see how it looks.

Im not sure, but the collar plate seems to look small? It is balance compared to the chest plates though. (Armor from Mandalorian Arsenal).  I wanted to trim it along the neck to follow the edge of the vest. I also think I need to make the bottom of the vest a bit shorter. Flight suit needs some shaping as well, arms are rather baggy.

MMCC 2048
Shonare Vhekadla Clan 91
Cabur Akaata 142
O.O.P.S. 63
Vode Be Vhekad 23

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:18 AM »
The size of the collar looks fine, a small trim to follow the neckline would help. The ab plate could do with about an inch taking off the bottom as it is far too long.

As long as the vest doesn't poke out from under the waist items that length is fine (Jango's vest is built like this) or you can trim it to just below the ab plate (Boba style).

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

DragonLady

« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:31 PM »
Soooo...it has been a busy holiday but finally have a chance to post some updates!

Corrected the fit on the neck seal; shortened and changed the style of closure on the arming vest; Flight suit is free of pockets and fitted a bit more snuggly on arms/lower back; Collar plate has been trimmed to follow neckline, and trimmed bout 3/4 inch off the bottom of ab plate; Made a girth belt!

MMCC 2048
Shonare Vhekadla Clan 91
Cabur Akaata 142
O.O.P.S. 63
Vode Be Vhekad 23

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:31 PM »
Very nice fit now.

Only thing I might suggest is just adding a very subtle curve to the bottom of the ab plate to mirror how the girth sits - I found that the outer corners of my ab occasionally caught on my girth till I just gave it the tiniest bit of curve.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ran

• Not the crown makes the king.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:34 PM »
Looking cool!

Just out of curiosity from your concept art, are you plates going to be grey, or plain metal? I think a plain steel look would look awesome for your desert theme. ;)

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
"Can your science explain the magic of rainbows?"
"Light defraction through moisture in the atmosphere."
"... It's a sad world you live in."

DragonLady

« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:56 AM »
Very nice fit now.

Only thing I might suggest is just adding a very subtle curve to the bottom of the ab plate to mirror how the girth sits - I found that the outer corners of my ab occasionally caught on my girth till I just gave it the tiniest bit of curve.

Thank you for the tip! I will definitely make that adjustment!

Looking cool!

Just out of curiosity from your concept art, are you plates going to be grey, or plain metal? I think a plain steel look would look awesome for your desert theme. ;)

Thank you! I am going with the flat grey vs metalic. My thoughts are, shiny bits and  wide open spaces  are not so good for the element of surprise, but wanted some color to break up the different tones of brown.  I came up with the grey when walking out behind my work one day saw how some larger rocks were a slate/charcoal  over the tan/brown sand and smaller rocks.  It was a unique combination that I really like!

MMCC 2048
Shonare Vhekadla Clan 91
Cabur Akaata 142
O.O.P.S. 63
Vode Be Vhekad 23

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2018, 02:31 PM »
This is coming along nicely.  Great progress, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

DragonLady

« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2018, 11:40 PM »
This is coming along nicely.  Great progress, vod.

Thank you!

----

And finally painting!!

and soft parts continued! Poncho style cape and sash made, gloves found.

MMCC 2048
Shonare Vhekadla Clan 91
Cabur Akaata 142
O.O.P.S. 63
Vode Be Vhekad 23

Havelock

« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Woohoo!  Painting is the most fun part.  For me, anyway.   :P  Keep it up, vod!  You're doing great.

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Nice progress :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

DragonLady

« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:22 PM »
Woohoo!  Painting is the most fun part.  For me, anyway.   :P  Keep it up, vod!  You're doing great.

I enjoy painting too! I got ao excited when I started taking some of the masking off... Its awesome to see everything start to fall into place and really  ‘see’  my armor in reality vs on paper and plain resin/plastic pieces

Nice progress :)

Thank you!

MMCC 2048
Shonare Vhekadla Clan 91
Cabur Akaata 142
O.O.P.S. 63
Vode Be Vhekad 23

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:17 AM »
Awesome work! I'm excited to see everything come together. It looks like you did a nice job hitting the edges of your plates with weathering as well as getting some nicks and marks on the main surface. And those gloves look very cool. :D

DragonLady

« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:16 PM »
Awesome work! I'm excited to see everything come together. It looks like you did a nice job hitting the edges of your plates with weathering as well as getting some nicks and marks on the main surface. And those gloves look very cool. :D

Thank you! Once upon a time I did bodywork on KC-130’s (large aircraft) so thought common areas where panels wear from rubbing together, and from bumps, sea/sand etc.

For an update, I went a little insane to try and get kit wearable for clan gathering. We are still waiting in gauntlets, I had not attached knees yet, and need to weather soft parts and blackwash armor...oh yeah, an need to work on weapon!  But wore all together (what I have) for first time!

MMCC 2048
Shonare Vhekadla Clan 91
Cabur Akaata 142
O.O.P.S. 63
Vode Be Vhekad 23

DragonLady

« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2018, 12:06 AM »
So, wanted to finally cut the bottom bar off, but wanted to secure it in some way...so, built a sort of bracket!

This is what I used! Cant remember what it was...think a pipe strap...Easy enough to bash it into the shape I wanted, lightweight, but still strong enough to keep the helm in the correct shape once the bar was removed.

And here it is! Fitted into place

Looks much better! Now to smooth out the cut marks and touch up paint...

MMCC 2048
Shonare Vhekadla Clan 91
Cabur Akaata 142
O.O.P.S. 63
Vode Be Vhekad 23

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:47 AM »
Awesome progress so far! You & your husband looked great at the potluck!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

DragonLady

« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:06 PM »
Awesome progress so far! You & your husband looked great at the potluck!

Thank you! We had so much fun!

After looking at pictures, I decided to make some adjustments with color. Wanted to tie in the red a bit more into over all look.

Also...armor bits all scratched, blackwash, drybrush! Now just to make gauntlets look like the rest when they arrive! 

And on to weathering soft parts!! Also drafted pattern for gaiters, so will see how well those turn out too!

MMCC 2048
Shonare Vhekadla Clan 91
Cabur Akaata 142
O.O.P.S. 63
Vode Be Vhekad 23
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:43 PM »
Looks great!

DragonLady

« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2018, 01:44 AM »
A few touch ups, knees, and made pouches! Oh, and gaiters. Still a bit to do, but getting there!

Yes...my chest plates went all wonky  this time  -_-

MMCC 2048
Shonare Vhekadla Clan 91
Cabur Akaata 142
O.O.P.S. 63
Vode Be Vhekad 23

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:10 AM »
Looking good vod! Would check with your Ruu on your loin cloth-- it may need another layer, or some more structure to meet CRL requirements for "substantial" fabric. 

Naasad Tal

• "Aliit ori'shya tal'din"
  • Awards 150 troops 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2018, 01:07 PM »
Looks AWESOME!!!

Chris S. OM# 454
Shonare Vhekadla Clan #33
Brigades: Desert Ops #2
Societies: VRCA #20, Elegant Mando #66, Cabur Akaata #72, Vode Be Vhekad #2

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!