Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Armor!

• 45 Replies
First Armor!
« on: Nov 30, 2017, 06:07 PM »
Hello! I'm Jacob. I have about a year till I'm 18, but that just means I have plenty of time to build my kit. First step, my bucket! It's a model A7R that I got from http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=121897.0.

« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2017, 09:51 PM by megabyte264 » Logged
Here's why you can't exterminate us, aruetii. We're not huddled in one place—we span the galaxy. We need no lords or leaders—so you can't destroy our command. We can live without technology—so we can fight with our bare hands. We have no species or bloodline—so we can rebuild our ranks with others who want to join us. We're more than just a people or an army, aruetii. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas—but we can certainly kill you.
-Mandalore the Destroyer

Cornutt895

• “I am not a stormtrooper!”
Re: First Armor!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2017, 02:06 PM »
Neat design! You gonna make a mold or is this just to see what it looks like?

Wolfin Sylvermane

• We are only Immortal for a limited time.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Great start!  Looking forward to watching the progress.

The Dragon Slayer

• See you space cowboy...
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2017, 03:18 AM »
Hey, I'm using the same bucket. Mine's a little small though, lol. Yours looks good so far. Keep up the good work.

"No matter what happens, don't be sorry you were born. Even though nobody praises us, don't forget to smile in any situation. As long as you're alive there will be better things later...and there will be many." ~Bellemere

Aliit ori'shya tal'din

First kit thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=89662.0;topicseen
Hard parts: 70%
Soft Parts: 80%
Weapons: 0%
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:18 PM »
Update: Well... I may have overestimated my fiberglassing skills. From a distance, it looks ok, but basically, all the detail was covered up and there are some spots I didn't get. I do not have enough fiberglass to fix I, so I think I need to scrap it. I've got a new bucket in progress. I'll post some pics when I take them. For now, here is the concept art I drew.

The name is at the top, with the Mando'a translation underneath. I want the color scheme to be black with dark red highlights and yellow detailing.
Oh, I almost forgot I had this. I'm basing the color scheme to match this nerf gun I painted a year ago. I checked the rules and I think it's ok, but a second opinion would be great. I sanded off the logo, filled in all the screw holes, and I plan to remove the clip. (The mechanism to release the clip broke when I was taking out the innards)

« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2017, 07:26 PM by megabyte264 » Logged
Here's why you can't exterminate us, aruetii. We're not huddled in one place—we span the galaxy. We need no lords or leaders—so you can't destroy our command. We can live without technology—so we can fight with our bare hands. We have no species or bloodline—so we can rebuild our ranks with others who want to join us. We're more than just a people or an army, aruetii. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas—but we can certainly kill you.
-Mandalore the Destroyer

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2017, 10:26 AM »
Your helmet has an interesting concept. I'd suggest running it by the App Team to make sure that those side cuts are going to be approvable. I'd hate for you to sink a ton of work into it only to be told at the end that something about it won't fly.

As to the Nerf Gun, it's going to take a lot more than simply removing the magazine to get it to an approvable state. Basically, we need to not be able to look at it and go "That's a Nerf Gun." Chop it up , get rid of the triangle patterns, the rails, and all the other Nerf-y looking bits, add Greeblies and other bits and bobs to make it look more SWarzy. If you habven't already, take a look through The Weapons Armoury and browse through some of the threads there to get an idea of what it takes to mod a Nerf Gun into something that will pass muster for the Mercs.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2017, 01:01 PM »
Did quite a bit of work last night and this morning. Last night I got this much done:

This morning I cut the visor outline and had a tough time gluing it on, but I finally got it.

Due to some mis-measurement, the vertical part of the T is a little weird, but I think it looks good. If it doesn't pass, it won't be too hard to replace it.

Chop it up, get rid of the triangle patterns, the rails, and all the other Nerf-y looking bits, add Greeblies and other bits and bobs to make it look more SWarzy.
Do you have any specific suggestions? I already cut up quite a bit. Here is the original:

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2017, 01:09 PM by megabyte264 » Logged
-Mandalore the Destroyer

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:49 PM »
Before you move to the bondo stage --hot glue the inside of the joints and scrape/peal the hot glue off the outside of th joints.  It'll make your life a lot easier, promise promise.

Good luck with your bucket  from a bucket!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2017, 10:01 PM »
Thanks for the tip, will do!

-Mandalore the Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:31 PM »
I am starting to think of my armor now. I want to try making it out of Sintra, but I'm open for suggestions. I want to limit weight and cost most of all.

-Mandalore the Destroyer

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:44 AM »
Sintra is cheaper than most of the alternatives, pretty easy/forgiving to work with and pretty light for size.  (Be sure to buy a heat gun.  They can be had cheaply at harbor freight, but for not much more at other places)   You can cut it with everything from an exacto knife to a dremel to a bandsaw. 

« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2017, 10:26 AM »
Thanks for the input. I volunteer building costumes at the local theater, and they have a heat gun. I might be able to borrow it. Any suggestions on where to find Sintra?

-Mandalore the Destroyer

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:09 PM »
You can buy it on Amazon.  I buy mine from a local plastics supplier (cheaper).  Your clan should have a local supplier.  Looks like your in Haaranovor territory, so check out their subforum.  You'd have to drive pretty far to get to my supplier in Dallas. 

Wolfin Sylvermane

« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2017, 05:53 PM »
I know a place in Montgomery that gives really good prices.   That being said I have some 3mm left in stock from the last Montgomery AP.  30"x 48" for 8 bucks.

« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:26 AM »
You'd have to drive pretty far to get to my supplier in Dallas. 
Yeah that's a little out of my range. I'm gonna check with my local sign making store first.

I feel like I should probably move this to the armor construction thread. Should I?

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2018, 07:41 PM by megabyte264 » Logged
-Mandalore the Destroyer

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:34 AM »
I feel like I should probably move this to the armor construction thread. Should I?

If you're onto starting your armour and want it moving, just report your own thread and in the box just ask the mods to move it to the construction board and they'll sort it.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Just stopped by my local sign store and they gave me all I need for free. I would like to get my helmet approved before I start bondoing it. How would I go about doing that?

-Mandalore the Destroyer

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2018, 01:57 PM »
I would like to get my helmet approved before I start bondoing it. How would I go about doing that?

Best way to get the undivided attention of the helmet makers - start a thread in here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?board=8.0

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Alright, it's been a while since my last post, so it's time for a status update.

First, I have cut and shaped my armor plates.

So, yay, that's done. Still trying to figure out the flak vest thing.

Next, I have my gauntlets and knee armor.

I'm gonna need to do some more shaping of the gauntlets. I want to do something totally crazy for the weapons on the gauntlets. The left one will have a hidden knife (plastic and blunt) that can pop out with the push of a button hidden in the gloves. The right one will have a pair of blasters that pop out and fire off a few shots before retracting.

Then the main weapons.

I realized just how much modding that nerf gun was gonna need, so I am just gonna leave that out. Instead I made matching pistols. I left out the triggers, is that ok?

I also added some stuff to the side of my helmet.

Still trying to figure out if I like it, so they may be temporary.

-Mandalore the Destroyer

Kris Jasra

« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:14 AM »
Do make sure before reinforcing the helmet (if you've not already done so) to see if you can get the section below the horizontal eye opening to sit at the same level as the top rim. If they're uneven you'll have lots of trouble getting a visor to sit flush.

« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:30 PM »
Thanks for the input. I have been worried about that, but due to the nature of five-gallon bucket material, it bends out quite easily. When I bondo it, I will reinforce it so that the plastic lines up.

As for the flak vest, I have been looking all over for a quilted vest and I cannot find one. But I recently obtained a lot of various fabrics. This is one that I think might be duck cloth, but I don't really know. Input from someone knowledgeable in this area would be very much appreciated.

That being said, does anyone know where to find a decent flak vest pattern?

« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2018, 05:39 PM by megabyte264 » Logged
-Mandalore the Destroyer

Wolfin Sylvermane

« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:37 PM »
The fabric looks right.   It should be named duck cloth or canvas.   I know Wal-mart, Joannes, and Hobby Lobby keep a small selection of colors. 

There are a couple of good tutorials here on the boards.  I used a pattern from a pull over sweatshirt and modified it fit tighter and have side closure.   

« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:30 PM »
Update: Started the bondo process on the helmet.

Started painting the armor plating.

And I created a pair of holsters for my pistols.

Opinions and constructive criticism are welcome.

-Mandalore the Destroyer

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2018, 10:35 PM »
With bondo -- thinner coats = less overall sanding.  You'll hate yourself a lot less and you may still end up with the same number of coats anway, as you have to sand out all the highs before your next coat. Holsters and plates look like good progress.

« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:09 AM »
Indeed. I discovered last night how tedious the sanding is.

On the subject of a flight suit, I have a black turtleneck and a pair of black athletic pants that I think match well. A second opinion would be great.

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2018, 09:20 PM by megabyte264 » Logged
-Mandalore the Destroyer

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!