Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

The Red Mando rebuild project. 03 Mar OM photo submissions.

• 32 Replies
A little fact n fiction fluff for me an my armour;

In the beginning, the call went out for Mando's to form a new club.

I heeded the call to Mandalore!   I already had the helmet (an early Sky Gun Bro) and played with the idea of going Mando already.  At that time many moons ago, the 501st had just made the decision to not allow custom mando's, I had no problem with that, it still gave me a place for my custom mando to be recognized in.

Around my first build time, the Republic Commando books came out, and since they had not  released the names of the Mando's that were hired to train the Clones, my character fits into that era.
My character concept helped to train Clones, and ARC Commandos, he went into battle with the clones, and earned his pauldron, and kama in battle.
My character prefers anonymity, the fact that he is called the Red Mandalorian to whomever stops long enough in the galaxy to ask the question is left with the clear understanding he has no ties to BH named Fett!
The few curious enough to speculate or do any research, speculate is he human or a clone? 
It fits well in to another rumor of a clone or group of clones that searched for a fix for the rapid aging in clones.
The ISB file for subject:  TRM-MMCC-0117 has little information, except one section; classified "Emperor's Representative only"
Mandalorian Records show TRM has belonged to 3 Clans a rarity in the Mandalorian culture, his first clan was disbanded, when it's members had spread to far out into the galaxy and fragmented, he joined his 3rd clan, when the clan grew too large and split into a new clan.
That's as far as the story line has gone.

If you look at the picture progress you will notice a couple unique features;  the main weapon has switched out from a A280 to a Westar M5 blaster rifle.

The Shin guards which also cover the knees are rather distinct to one other individual in the universe, this also leads to rumors as to whether TRM has bionic leg replacements.

So the original RM looked like this also had a jet pack; 
Phase 1

Great thing about beginnings, there is a lot of acceptance to rough edges, and allows a person to work on their outfit.
Still had the jet pack.
Phase 2

That vinyl vest is hotter than hell, when trooping SW celebration and cons down south, and my leather kama weighed a ton!  So I switched to a Value Village leather jacket , and fabric kama, acquired some new armour plates during the change over, I upgraded the jetpack but never completed it so, it got dropped. 
Phase 3

Well now after a review of my gear it's time for another update.
Phase 4

The critics;

[X]  -Your visor needs to be darker, as currently your face can be fully seen through the visor. You should not be able to see any part of your face through the T-visor as per the CRLs
[In the process of acquiring a new visor now, tried the local plastic shop but the smoke color of the clear plastic does not obscure the face well enough.  I considered a flexible welders mask, but then I can't see in the dark.  *29 Jan well I used the welders mask not so bad everything is green.]

[X]  -Your chest and ab plates need to be better shaped, so they are not longer floating off your body
[Switched to Velcro, with my pauldron on, it covers the neck armour and one of the shoulders,
I have new plates coming from Bobamaker......]

[X]  -The wrist watch on your gauntlet needs to be removed
[yeah that was an easy fix]

[X]  -The elastic on your gauntlets needs to be removed, and replaced with a hard plate or heavy weight leather. The only place that visible elastic is an approvable attachment method is on the back of the knee or in the bend of the elbow.
[This will be an interesting project, I'm not a skinny Mando and my gauntlets just don't fit comfortably on the forearms, got some ideas though using leather an piano hinges.... update 06 Jan; complete old piano hinges had fibreglass resin from a previous mod, have now been sanded, had some spare red pleather shaped stitched and attached to the gauntlets, pics in an update below.]

[X]  -Your shoulder armor needs to be brought up to cover the required area as it is currently to low on the arm
[update 06 Jan,Vest has been adjusted, new armour has been cut shaped an attached.... I think it looks better than before!]

[X] -Your flight suit needs to have the appearance of being a one piece suit, this means the material must be the same from the top of your flight suit to the bottom, currently it is clearly two different types of material.
[I don't know why this has to be, but I have a flightsuit standing by]

[X] -The sleeves of your flight suit cannot extend past the end of your gauntlets and should not be visible pass the wrist

[X] -The knife and small hold-out blaster on the gauntlets need to be properly mounted or holster on the gauntlets, they cannot be simply placed on the gauntlet.

[X]  -The aluminum can tab chainmail sleeves need to be removed all together, if you wish to have a double sleeve you are more than welcome to do so. But it needs to be made of  fabric and needs to made of the same material as your flight suit. Additional aluminum can tabs are not an approvable build material nor is that amount of "chainmail" allowable as it is to "earthy"
[After much discussion I will not re-install this part]

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2018, 01:00 AM by The Red Mandalorian » Logged
TRM-MMCC-0117
Strength an Honour

I'M NOT RETIRED!!  just upgrading!..... again!
Sector Victoria BC

http://mandalorianmercs.org/who-we-are/club-charter/mercs-codex/

http://mandalorianmercs.org/who-we-are/mission-history/
Re: The Red Mando rebuild project.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:36 PM »
So the first project is the vest;
Pros there is a lot of info on armour out there,
Cons not so much on soft parts,
However there is some good photo referances;

My vest looks like this;

Gonna tighten up the shoulders and add new shoulder sleeves.
The Boba vest is short, cuts off around the belly button, but I want the extra length at the bottom my Kama is stitched into it.  As well my rope wrap belt an ammo belt anchors the vest down an prevents bunching, may have to alter the cod piece, it hangs off the vest too.
In the past once I got the vest on I was instantly 60% dressed  :D

Well after some cursing and swearing, unstitching, re-stitching I got this;

Kinda nervous about the neck armour, I don't usually wear one, cause my pauldron covers it completely, but the critics say I need one, so here is hoping the spacing works out!

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2017, 09:31 PM by The Red Mandalorian » Logged
TRM-MMCC-0117
Strength an Honour

Sector Victoria BC

WolfofWinter

• Sho'cye Buurenaar-
  • Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Nice!!!  Great to see you re-building your kit!!  If you need any help with anything let me know!  I'm up in Nanaimo but I work on base so I'm around!  Come by D-100 some time and we can talk Mando stuff!!

Hunt or  be Hunted
MMCC# 1971
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #126
New Death Watch Order #45
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2017, 04:36 PM »
Today is a little armour day;
I have to have this done for Feb and Boba maker said my order will be ready in Feb,
Sooo a little 4 x 4 sheet, some templates courtesy of MMCC and whala!

Gonna increase my armour load with thigh and double shoulder armour, have some side torso armour ideas for later.

Got it shaped and primed, gonna be adding paint soon!

Damn ran out of primer, have to use the darker stuff;

and first coat;

well the paint job has been challenging..... challenging in regards to my paint not "crazing"
I define "crazing" as a chemical incompatability that results in the paint cracking or taking on a fracture look, that does not settle and smooth out.

As far as I'm concerned I'm done painting if the "craze" settles down but I'm pretty sure a plate or two will need to be redone;

« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2017, 07:51 PM by The Red Mandalorian » Logged
TRM-MMCC-0117
Strength an Honour

Sector Victoria BC

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2017, 05:41 PM »
This looks interesting...  ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:43 PM »
Ok so painting the spare armour is time consuming, so while I (I'm)patiently wait for paint to cure, time to work on the gauntlets;

TRM-MMCC-0117
Strength an Honour

Sector Victoria BC

Sidewalker

• Faster, more intense!
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Nice work Randy!

Sidewalker
Hett'ciri Clan Ruus’alor Sol’yc

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2017, 09:32 AM »
I love a good WIP :D  Thanks for sharing.

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Ciryc Ca'tra

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 40% increase or more
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2017, 02:17 AM »
Looking good! Keep posting progress pics :D

Wasu'ran Clan/ Alo'rad/ MMCC#1851/ V.O.T.S. #78
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Hey Happy New Year!

Now that all the holiday stuff is all oughta the way, work can continue.....

Temp pause on the armour and the gauntlets, cause I was starring at my double pistol holsters;

Some fine tunning but finished 30 sec to midnight 2017  :o

more fine tunning when it comes to fitting checks, in the mean time they look like this;

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018, 11:00 PM by The Red Mandalorian » Logged
TRM-MMCC-0117
Strength an Honour

Sector Victoria BC

« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:14 PM »
6 out of 9 issues have been corrected now, (7 if I don't put the chainmail back on)

Today the big fix was the gauntlets.  I had piano hinges previously installed for a fibreglass update, but it had failed and I switched to elastic, since that was not allowed, I sanded the fibreglass off the piano hinges, put some Velcro on, cut some pleather, stitched some Velcro in, and as per the pictures are the results....

Also note how well the new shoulder armour fits, this corrects another issue as well.  :)

TRM-MMCC-0117
Strength an Honour

Sector Victoria BC

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:36 AM »
Ah, another vode who went for the leather jacket-to-vest method.  :D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:25 PM »
glad to see you are wotking on this.  I've set a goal to have my new kit done in time for Capital City, look forward to trooping with you there.    I'm on my phone so I can't see the new pics too well, but yes the chainmaille has to go.

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Fitz Kal'ad

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:29 PM »
Definitely leave the Pop-tab Arms off and Either go with a cloth, leather, or armored sleeve so you are in compliance with current Quality standards from the App team.

I know multiple people have had pop-tab stuff in the past but it's been past down that it no longer acceptable, just to earthy and doesn't work with the Mando/swarzy aesthetic.

Curse of the Mando, you are never really done. I've re-built my bicep armor 4 times on 1 kit.

Rin V'khari

• #allthefilth
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Solid work, Vod.  I do question the leather jacket/vest conversion.  In its current state, it doesn't look in universe and I suspect the App Team will tell you the same...Not saying it isn't approvable, I just think it needs some tweaking.  Also, your chest and ab plate look a little big and there are some spacing issues, while I do suspect this is just your current stance.  Once you put the collar on it may alleviate the issues.  As for the chainmail, yes, that has to go but that's been covered by the previous comments.  The flight suit being of one piece appearance is definitely in the CRL's:

Flight suit:
Flight suit must fit snugly to the wearer.
One or two piece flight suit designs are acceptable.
If using two separate pieces, they must give the illusion of a one piece flight suit by using the same color and material for each piece. (We should not be able to tell the difference).

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2018, 03:52 PM by Rin V'khari » Logged

App Team Communications Director
North Central Regional Ver'sol
Cin'ciri Verda Clan  OM #1849 M.L.C.S. #33 Draluram #011 M.A.C.K. #42

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!