Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Draft 808 Concept Build

• 9 Replies

Draft808

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Draft 808 Concept Build
« on: Dec 16, 2017, 04:22 AM »
Hi all,
Working on a first time build. Wolves of Mandalor territory got me started with my first armor party and a Jango style armor set.
Not quite sure where to set my goals just yet.
I know I'd like to work toward a Privateer Brigade application but, as I currently understand, applications to OM are not necessarily to a bridade BRL requirments. Correct?

Question: Are the OM requirements that of the CRL requirements here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/get-involved/costume-requirements/ ?
Or are they the the Light/Medium/Heavy armor builds outlined here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=68676.0  ?

I understand conventional Camouflage is frowned upon. How does unconventional/archaic camo stand? Specifically "Razzle Dazzle", the early camo that was exceptional a blending with itself and cows, and possibly blurring the line between horizon and sea.

Still just a possible inclusion I think would look good as a heavilly worn pattern on plates. Not 100% married to this pattern, just a possibility if the community approves it as a possible pattern.

As I'm shooting for a privateer style mando, I thought a kama along the lines of the below-waste portion of the coat seen here might be appropriate. I feel it has more of a likeness to the Clonetroopers kama than a conventional.

In addition to my armor plates being started for general shaping, I have a 3D print of a Cryoban grenade in the works (more details later), and a concept non-lightsaber-style plasma sword/tool I think might be a handy addition for "breaching hulls".

Cheers for now,
Draft808/Mitch

« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2017, 04:34 AM by Draft808 » Logged
Draa Hocon”
MMCC #2285, Wolves of Mandalor #60, MVS #97
UM WIP, Brigade WIP, Bo-Katan Belts, Sabine Holster, DW Leathers WIP

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Draft 808 Concept Build
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:17 PM »
The first link you gave is the basic level requirements needed to become an OM. It is the quite literal minimum that is needed to pass.
In the second link the light armour level would be the basic level needed to pass (ie, the first link), while the heavier armours listed are there as optional extras. Some brigades require a certain extra level of armour (eg, basic entry allows full capes instead of backplates, the Brigades require the backplate even if you keep the cape).
My advice is to build the basic level armour first but keep in mind anything that is needed for your brigade choice when building. Then when official just keep upgrading until you have all the required brigade parts.

Dazzle camo is fine to do.

And oooh, that's a nice coat/kama. I like the layered effect it has. Definitely very pirate privateer.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Draft808

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2017, 02:48 AM »
Thank you Kris!

For the armor plates I intend to coordinate the pattern across multiple plates. I may revise the color and line widths to favor a dominant color but that it's an option allows me to work toward a sketch.

With the Kama being layered, I'd like to make the under layer a functional tool holster of sort. I envision the outer layer peeling back halfway to reveal the tools of the trade. A holstered blaster pair? An alarming series of breeching changes perhaps? Lock picker tool? Mechanic tools? I see this being directly connected to the girth belt if that's allowed.

I've come across a left side range finder helmet varrient. I imagine there should be no issue with selecting this, correct? If not is there a particular reason most mando helms are right side range finder oriented?

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2017, 03:05 AM by Draft808 » Logged
Draa Hocon”

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:14 AM »
If you attach the kama to the girth belt - ensure that the girth is the top layer. Also make sure you think about how that weight will stay at your waist - attaching to the flightsuit or vest, or using suspenders/bracers.

You can put the range finder on whichever side you want providing it is firmly attached.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Draft808

« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2018, 03:04 AM »
Planning on color scheme. Is there a convention for mandalorian colors?
I've been kicking around the idea of using the black/white/red as in the image referenced for the Kama above (and if so possibly just translating that whole costume to a mando version) or a yellow/black/gold scheme..,which has fantastic potential to look like a bumble bee if I'm not careful.

Armorments: In universe, how likely would it be for someone other than an imperial trooper to be in possession of an E-11 blaster? A customized variant based on the E-11? I imagine they'd be widely available and cheap after the fall of the empire and prime tinkering material. Before the fall however, I suspect having one would be a quick way to be suspect of being a rebel...could be wrong though.

Boots: Should it always be the Jodhpur style boot with the coverall cinched around it? Are riding/jodhpurs and gaiters an option with shin plates attached?

Coverall/flight suit: Is there an appropriate fit? My current is rather baggy in the limbs. Already have it pocket-free so taking it in is an option.

Draa Hocon”

Kris Jasra

« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:23 AM »
Colours are open for anything, although holographic sequins are a no :P

E-11s are widely made and easy to get hold of, go nuts.

Boots - no laces visible and if zips are there make sure they're colour matches and on the inside. No rubber boots, trainers (sneakers). Basically, something that looks a little more combat like. They can be shoe, ankle boot, top of the thigh. Gaitors and spats are both widely used to keep the bottom of the flightsuit in place and/or to munt shin/boot armour onto.

The flightsuit needs to be fitted, so enough room to move without ripping things, but not baggy.

Draft808

« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:42 AM »
Tell me no one has actually contemplated holographic sequins.
...Aaand now I'm imagining a Vegas Showgirl style mandalorian armor.  :laugh:

Boots: Are zipers exclusively on the inside? Or if they can be hidden under the instep armor plate are they eligible?
I've come across these and thought they might fit the bill.

Test colouration via that handy Mando Maker app: Feedback welcome.

*Kama will be positioned to obscure the leg armor less. Helm Eyebrow may stay solid color or use the alternate scheme below.

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2018, 04:28 AM by Draft808 » Logged
Draa Hocon”

Kris Jasra

« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:26 AM »
Tell me no one has actually contemplated holographic sequins.

I cannot confirm nor deny this statement.

Nice boots, hide the zip and you're good.

Dazzle camo? Seen that done a couple of times on all white kits and wasn't personally a fan, but never seen it done on a darker kit and I really like the effect.

Draft808

« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:40 PM »
Helmet and lighting: I had a thought to illuminate the vent slots at the rear and the arrows at the front of the helmet. Is this allowable?

Bracers: Are they always the Boba/Jango style or is there a minimum basic shape upon which variations can be built from?

Alternative color scheme...

I'm noticing a lot of black/gray/red mando builds in our territory so I'm feeling out mixing things up.  Foreseeable bonuses with this color scheme: speeches regarding safety could be comedicly enhanced with a caution striped mando demonstrator.

Draa Hocon”

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:51 PM »
For your gauntlets/bracers/vambraces....they don't have to be weaponized or conform to the Jango/Boba shape or style.  They can be as simple as a hard covering for your forearms.  In fact, many recruits have used toilet brush canisters and built approved gauntlets.  As long as the hard shell covers 2/3 of the length between the wrist and elbow, and half the circumference of the arm, you're good.  You're, of course, though, welcome to put your own devices or weapons on the shell.  You'll need to ensure that any additions appear to be purpose-built and not just stuck on with glue; they need to look integrated.  So basically, go as basic as you like, or go a little nuts.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!