Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Odran Krayt WIP (updated)

• 79 Replies

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
Re: Odran Krayt WIP (updated)
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:54 PM »
Covered those vents!

B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:02 PM »
Vents look intentional now! Good work!  And I like what you did with the waves.

The following comments are NOT about approvability. Someone like Bow will need to weigh on that aspect.
I'm trying to decide how I feel about the silver side.  Like if I were a mando and I walked away from the fight that did that to the helmet, and I trust my life to that helmet-- would my top priority become replacing it? 

Either way, if you keep it, the rest of the kit has got to show a significant level of damage to match. 

But I struggle with this in general, which is why my kit is fairly clean-- if I trust my life to my gear, I take care of my gear. If it's more than cosmetic damage-- repair or replace asap.

Odran Krayt

« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:01 PM »
the helmet is beskar with a cortosis coating, so the 3d damage would only be as deep as what cortosis chipped. my armor is more damaged on that side,but since the blast occurred by the head, the damage is localized there. the helmet is also a matched set with his wife, so he prefers to keep it.

Odran Krayt WIP

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:13 PM »
the helmet is beskar with a cortosis coating, so the 3d damage would only be as deep as what cortosis chipped. my armor is more damaged on that side,but since the blast occurred by the head, the damage is localized there. the helmet is also a matched set with his wife, so he prefers to keep it.

Fair enough :)  Have not seen the wife's kit.  Like I said, not about approvability afaik.

Odran Krayt

« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:52 PM »
the wife is only in the story. i am not actually married. i can post a drawing of her at a later point.

Odran Krayt WIP

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #30 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:53 PM »
the wife is only in the story. i am not actually married.

That'd certainly explain the lack of pictures of her kit!

Odran Krayt

« Reply #31 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:15 PM »
yup! haha!

Odran Krayt WIP

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #32 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:20 PM »
Not going to lie Vod but your helmet is rough.  Remember we don’t approve people based on their kits backstory just the quality of their build. I see you’re a fairly young adult and you’ve been open to suggestions by others which will help you if you’re going for approval.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Odran Krayt

« Reply #33 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:31 PM »
what suggestions do you have to make the helmet better?

Odran Krayt WIP

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #34 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:31 PM »
what suggestions do you have to make the helmet better?
Can you post photos of front, left, right, back and top? I’ll be able to give you better advice with those.

QMU#084

Odran Krayt

« Reply #35 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:21 PM »
will do when i can. probably tonight or tomorrow

Odran Krayt WIP

Bowfanny

« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2017, 03:26 PM »
will do when i can. probably tonight or tomorrow
Sounds good Vod

QMU#084

Odran Krayt

« Reply #37 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:30 PM »

Odran Krayt WIP

Bowfanny

« Reply #38 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:55 AM »

Knowing that I’ve seen so many helmets that folks have been calling me the helmet  king for nearly two years because I build helmets constantly, that being said. I think you’ve got a decent base to start with but the aesthetic needs cleaned up, a helmet that takes damage even beskar indents, yours doesn’t. Honestly I would sand it back down smooth it out, and then see what you have there to pull forward. If that’s too much for you then my other suggestion is build a second one and use this one just for the fun of it or put it somewhere you can look at it daily to remind yourself what you are capable of.

QMU#084

Odran Krayt

« Reply #39 on: Jan 01, 2018, 11:31 AM »
indents?
and what do you mean by pull it out?

Odran Krayt WIP

Bowfanny

« Reply #40 on: Jan 01, 2018, 12:57 PM »
indents?
and what do you mean by pull it out?
To pull forward is to bring with you the base of what you have or in normal people speak it’s taking what you have and working with it in its most basic state.
Indentations are Boba’s dent, blaster dents, grenade damage that mars the surface but doesn’t add material. Without sanding down a surface that looks unfinished you have mountains and valleys that don’t tell the same story as you are.

QMU#084

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #41 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:46 PM »
Apologies for the slightly blurry picture but this is the only one I have showing a similar sort of damage. It was sanded to a smooth finish, then the damage was added back on. If the damage had simply been done while it was in progress those sharp edges would still be blurry and not quite straight. That would have a detrimental effect on the finished look.

Currently I don't see any damage on yours at a glance, just unfinished sanding as both side have rough patches and are the same colour.
I've blocked out where I think you were aiming for the lightsabre scar to be in white - leave that section alone for now and go back in and sand down all the sections I've outlined in red - I work through about 5 grits of sandpaper, with the last one being about 2400 so the finish on the helmet is ultra smooth. Make sure all the lines on edges or raised or indented sections such as the visor edge are straight with no loose bits of fibreglass or material.

When painting damage it is always wise to use a complimentary colour to draw it out if your top coat is too close to the damaged section. So if you are going for a grey/black which would blend with silver metal once the silver is weathered, there's 2 good options that will help to draw out the damage. 1 Is to switch the base colour of your beskar to copper or bronze instead of silver. The 2nd option is to use a layer between the silver damage and the grey/black topcoat and have chipping round the edges of the damage that shows off the other colour.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Odran Krayt

« Reply #42 on: Jan 01, 2018, 02:50 PM »
So..., make the whole helmet smooth, then dremel out the damage, then make the damage stand out more with a more colorful base metal or primer?

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2018, 03:50 PM by Orar Kad » Logged
Odran Krayt WIP

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #43 on: Jan 01, 2018, 04:49 PM »
Yep. bang on. Smooth out all the small indentations, lumps and wiggly lines from the rest, that way the indentations and wiggly lines of the melted damage will be really visible. Add the paint colours and boom. You look at a single glance like you fought a Jedi and survived.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Odran Krayt

« Reply #44 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Will do.
Now, more parts, finished my boot/toe/heel armor

I know I need to hold the shin strap ends down, I am working on that. Otherwise, how does it look?

Finally, Mando Midnight! Happy New Year

Odran Krayt WIP

Odran Krayt

« Reply #45 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:32 PM »
I have now sanded and smoothed the helmet and now am repainting it. I am leaving some of the small rough spots to make into shrapnel pits from the explosion.

Bottom edge looks a lot thicker too.

Odran Krayt WIP

Odran Krayt

« Reply #46 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Here's the helmet progress. Added a Viszla clan symbol on the helmet, as my character is a relative of the viszlas

And finished sanding, then pitted the blasted side, then added silver over the black.

I learned that a dry paint-stiffened brush dipped in silver paint makes a much better chipped look than simply streaking, then use a drybrushing to show rubbed spots.

Odran Krayt WIP

Odran Krayt

« Reply #47 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:46 PM »
Electroglove

Short sword with connection to glove for electrification

comm gaunt

Odran Krayt WIP

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #48 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:36 PM »
Helmet looks better with each revision! Will let Bow and Kris weigh in on whether it is ready or needs a little more tweaking.

Good job on the gauntlet/glove so far.  You probably already have plans for this, but probably need to do something to disguize the bezel of the screen on the comm gaunt, as right now it looks too earthy.   A curvy piece that even went over a bit of the screen to shift it's shape away from perfectly rectangular could be really cool too.  Also could use a bit more sanding around the plastic that borders the keys. 

Good work!

Kris Jasra

« Reply #49 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:54 AM »
Definitely getting there. From the latest full pics it's all looking a lot smoother. Got a couple of still wavy lines on the back that could do with straightening. And I'd suggest seeing if the front can be taken down to be a little flatter so the visor sits flat in the front without any wrinkles.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!