Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP - Kris Verd - Protector Soldier

• 79 Replies

GraTuaVerd

• #2053 - The Muscle Merc
WIP - Kris Verd - Protector Soldier
« on: Dec 27, 2017, 05:25 PM »
After the recent success of the suit I only minorly helped Yogi build me, I am building my own now.

Name: Cabur-Verd
Story: This is my guy, Gratua Verd, before he went feral on the trip that formed our squad.
Brigade I'm shooting for: Shock Infantry/Heavy Assault

Armor Concepts (already approved):

So far I just have the black spandex suit I am using for the base, and I will be picking up the helmet I intend to use later.

Wish me luck!

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2018, 08:48 AM by GraTuaVerd » Logged

GraTuaVerd

Re: WIP - Cabur Verd - Protector Soldier
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Okay, so here is in an update.

This is the updated design so far. I am taking my plating shapes from another newcomer to our clan who designed his own, and which I am taking and modding further. So far, my Ruus (both of them) approve. That's what this looks like fully updated SO FAR:

That update also took into account my mostly finished helmet.

The helmet is done except for chrome visor and interior rigging.

The chrome visor is on its way.

All of the paint is now applied. I took a $150 helmet from Yogi, my Ruus, and stripped it down, repainted it, and added some accents.

I am opting out of a complete brutal weathering and scarring like the last build. We both thought I did such a clean sharp job with it that I am just going with simple little flecks and scratches of paint missing around the edges. This makes sense since the brigade I will be applying to is the Shock Trooper Heavy Assault, and their description is "barely anyone can touch them."

This is what all my helmet went through, for reference.

Its been dullcoated, the symmetric grooves are sand catchers, the markings on the cheek mean #2 for the second armor I have built, and the bullet casing in the other cheek is a breather/mic that I have set up to "expel environmental gasses" using a vape rigged to my gauntlet.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Don't forget your collar (you've missed it off your updated design)

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

GraTuaVerd

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:12 PM »
Don't forget your collar (you've missed it off your updated design)

I will absolutely include that. Just working bit by bit. I am looking into a leather vest over the spandex/lycra one piece.

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Leather vests are love. All hail the leather vests. (totally not slightly biased, honest)

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

GraTuaVerd

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Leather vests are love. All hail the leather vests. (totally not slightly biased, honest)

Well, I know that a LOT of people point out that they get hot at cons and parades, but I don't view that as an impossibility. I just view that as a tradeoff. All costumes have downsides. And I was Army, so I KNOW what being uncomfortable for long amounts of time looks like.

So this is what the chest armor is looking like so far, minus the trauma plates and of course molding.

This is my concept for the back armor. I checked regs in general, and for my brigade (shock trooper heavy assault) and all seems to be in order.

Is there anything I've missed that disallows this design?

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2018, 08:12 PM by Raestin Ke'Varek » Logged

Kris Jasra

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2018, 03:50 PM »
I've never got too hot in my leather, it breathes better than some of the manmade stuff.

And the backplate design looks good.

Ruus bal'Neta

• "Family is more than blood. This is the way."
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 15+ clan level invasions Award for 75 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:51 PM »
I like the design of your plates. The chest plates seem a bit wide in that photo but shaping will show for sure if they are or not.

Regarding your backplate, as long as at least 2/3 of your back is covered you're good.

GraTuaVerd

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:11 AM »
So, I went to Lowes and bought my first ever heat gun...

I had run out of enough 3mm sintra to do the back plate, so I thought I would get clever and makes gauntlets out of 3mm even if it meant a lot of eyeballing and handiwork. You know, since its so pliable.

Three attempts later, I realized that no matter how good I am, this is very difficult to do.

So I watched this video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K05IPr4SZbc

So I ditched my failed attempts and  hope to flatten out all that used Sintra later, and instead focused on cutting the trauma plate templates for the chest. 

I'm also reconsidering being a Shock Trooper since they have ALL of the armor to make. Part of it is a *touch* of laziness, sure, but part of it is that the more I think about it... the more I like a little more exposed uniform.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Mobile Engineers Brigade Member 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:14 AM »
Pro-tip for Sintra-- look around your garage for things to use as anvils/bucks -- I have a few short sections of various diameter PVC pipe just for this, but whatever has the curve you're looking for.  For my gauntlets I used some of those foam cones from the floral section at craft stores.  Others use Pint glasses as an anvil, etc.    4 inch PVC was a life saver on my shnees and shoulders for something to get that innitial curve on.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2018, 03:57 PM »
You probably know this, but just on case, make sure to get the chest plates absolutely spot on shaped before shaping and then attaching the trauma plating. If you attach them before shaping you potentially wont be able to get the required shape you need.

GraTuaVerd

« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:02 PM »
You probably know this, but just on case, make sure to get the chest plates absolutely spot on shaped before shaping and then attaching the trauma plating. If you attach them before shaping you potentially wont be able to get the required shape you need.

Actually, you just answered a question I have meant to continually ask people and forget to. That actually helps a lot, thank you!

Pro-tip for Sintra-- look around your garage for things to use as anvils/bucks -- I have a few short sections of various diameter PVC pipe just for this, but whatever has the curve you're looking for.  For my gauntlets I used some of those foam cones from the floral section at craft stores.  Others use Pint glasses as an anvil, etc.    4 inch PVC was a life saver on my shnees and shoulders for something to get that innitial curve on.

Yeah, I have really been trying to put that to the best use for the times where it is not just straight up plating. Luckily I have a table that has just the bent I need for shaping my gauntlets later this weekend. I'll keep y'all updated, vods.

« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2018, 10:24 AM by Raestin Ke'Varek » Logged

GraTuaVerd

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:03 AM »
So I got some work done over the weekend: one full gauntlet, one gauntlet base, and molded my chest plates.

Let me start off with the chest plates: yes, they are molded higher up than this, but when we went to take pictures, they sank down on the shirt. I am having a hard time telling if these are too big or not. I really don't want to trim them down any further and risk killing my nicely cut out insets... but I might have to.

Also, major shoutout to my wife for helping me mold these... and for always taking pictures for me.

Now... the gauntlets.

I spent all night taking Ithica's basic concepts for gauntlets https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=46432.0 and in the video I already linked.

So I took a piece of 4 inch PVC pipe, cut it into 8 inch lengths, then cut about a four inch gap out of it, then heat gun molded one end to taper, then took turns trimming another half inch off each inside piece, then cut out an over plate, heat molded that to taper, taped both pieces together and trimmed the ends to be even/match. Then painted red and white to get a basic concept of how it would look (and since I can use this in the weathering process).

That looks like this. That was Friday night.

I have since sanded that gauntlet and the next down significantly so that you cannot see scorch marks, and I have evened out the wobbly edges.

Saturday was comprised solely of making the second gauntlet from scratch and then dressing it up.

Luckily, I had nothing else to do this weekend, and between that, and having enough going on in my life, that I needed something to focus out the noise, it was easy to lose myself in doing this. I would even walk away to watch a TV show, think of 4 more ideas to add things/replace things/redo things and have to go back and work on it.

I am aware this still needs more work, and I have come up with a couple more ways to make it look more "in-universe", and likely will come up with 100 more while working on the rest of the costume, but right now, I can literally just put the red half on my arm, snap the white half on, and the magnets hold it together beautifully, even when banging up against objects.

I took a pen vape, two expired coils, two ammo casings, some shelving hooks, duct tape, electrical tape, the front and back side of a burner phone keypad, a burner phone battery, and some paint.... and made this gauntlet. Don't hold back in making suggestions. I am proud of my work, but always wanna make it better. As is, I have like three ideas to make the electrical tape look better, using PVC pieces.

LINK TO VIDEO OF ME PUTTING THE GAUNTLET ON HERE: https://imgur.com/MqAuRDQ

GraTuaVerd

« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:25 AM »
So... I've managed to make some progress since the last pix.

My chrome motorcycle visor came in, and I cut it and plugged it into the helmet, and took some pix with what the costume would look like so far with the black undersuit (this is just a black shirt, my spandex suit is MIA at the moment).

Then I took the chest plates, cut a collar plate, and took them through five steps: sand, silver prime, blue prime, blue metallic, the silver weathering chipping around the edges.

I am aware that I still have to add trauma plating, and I have already pinned areas to do so, but I wanted to paint the surface under where they would go so that if something chips away/becomes exposed, I have layers of paint and weathering to fall back on.

That said, I think the kit altogether (so far) turned out nicely!

And these are the next things I am working on:

--Cutting the hand plates, shoulder plates, elbow plates, and biceps plates.
--Taking the backplate from first cut to finish.
--Right hand gauntlet

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2018, 10:03 AM »
Looking pretty good so far vod. There are however some placement and shaping adjustments that will need to be made

The green line is approxately where your collar plate should sit. Once you've got it in place, space your chest armor equally between it and your ab plate. Your ab plate might need to move as well, but for now i would recommend leaving it. While you are moving plates around though, try to make sure things stay centered. Right now it looks like all your plates are off a bit to your left. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of (also something literally everyone struggles with)

The areas that are circled in blue look like they need more forming. However, i would hold off on doing that until you have your plates properly spaced, so you aren't reforming plates all the time.

You're makibg great progress vod. Keep it up

Pressure makes gems. Ease makes decay

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!