Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Nerf to Swarzy Sniper Rifle

• 6 Replies

Baconboyrlz

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions
Nerf to Swarzy Sniper Rifle
« on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:01 PM »
When I first started doing research and making concepts for my kit, I saw that for rifles, most people recommended to not use a Nerf as a base, and I understand why, it is A LOT of work, but I felt I could do it. I have more time invested into my rifle build, than my plates, helmet, and soft goods combined (exluding the leather work, I did that myself and it took quite some time). So here, I'm going to show some in progress pics, and try to explain the things I did to get a Nerf rifle approved for my OM kit. (Excuse my bad pics. Bad lighting, and usually late nights working on this, so things might be out of focus, but it gets the point across.)

Here's what I started with, a Nerf Alphahawk. It had the slim lines I wanted for my rifle, and served as a good starting point.

I got my nerf gun, a scope, some corrugated conduit/tubing, and some pvc pipes, then started to gut the blaster of it's internals, except for the spring to pull the trigger. I also gutted 2 other nerf blasters I had lying around.

I then started on what I wanted it to look like. I took my dremel and removed the front sights it had on it, and then layed everything out in a way that I liked, and made sure what I was doing would actually work.

I got to work on changing the profile even more, by covering up the holes in the stock and where the dart cylinder was. Added some greeblies, and a little corrugated tubing as a heat sinc. I also added a flare at the end of the pvc pipe for the main barrel to give the pew pew end more presence.

Now, this is where things start to really take shape as an in universe sniper rifle. I had attached the main barrel and the under barrel together with small strip of sintra, and quite a bit of epoxy to make sure it was strong. I filled in the small gap that was left on the stock with more sintra. I added another heat sinc area with corrugated tubing in the area between the stock and the scope mount, as well as made a low visibility scope that was inspired by the scope on the DLT-20A and have multiple scopes like bowcasters. I then started to bondo edges and seams to smooth things out.

I forgot to take pictures between the last point and this one, but I'll be explaining everything. I liked the way everything was looking on the rest of my rifle, but I still had to cover the sintra that blocked the cylinder hole, and what better way to do that than with more sintra? I cut out a couple panels of sintra in a weird hexagon shape, and the shaped it to the curve of the body of the rifle and glued them on. I felt my rifle needed more greeblies, so I went through and added a bunch to the side sintra panels as well as a few along the underside of the rifle, and also glued on the front heat sinc. I was happy with the way it looked, so I primed it to see if I needed to do anything else to it, as the Nerf orange really does hide the look of it, if that makes sense?

I was happy with the way it was looking so I went ahead with painting, weathering, and leather wrapping the handle! while waiting for paint to dry, I made my rifle a sling and bought a mount, and weathered that as well.

I hope this helps show what is needed to get a nerf gun to be an approvable weapon here at the MMCC. I had a ton of fun making my rifle, and hope others can find the joy in it that I had with mine, as they will with theirs.

Kit pic with rifle!

Tra'cor Clan
OM #1962
M.L.C.S. #45
B.O.M.B. #90

MMcFett

• Formerly 'memcguireII'
  • Wayii!
Re: Nerf to Swarzy Sniper Rifle
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2017, 02:42 PM »
Wow! Looks great! I've been wanting to get that one to mod but I have to finish my Nerf modulus first ;)

...take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Ephesians 6:13WIPs: Helmet-Armor-Gauntlets-Weapons

Teilyr Farsel

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2017, 04:25 PM »
Great looking rifle! You did an excellent job hiding what it was in the beginning.

Straka Zulu

• Formerly 'STRAKAZulu'
  • Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:58 AM »
I've been looking at the Alphahawk, was thinking about how to make a Swarzy rifle from it.  I think you nailed it. ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Vicks

• There is always hope, but there are no guarantees
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:29 PM »
When are you going to brigade up? Join us  :D

Baconboyrlz

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:49 PM »
Thanks vode!

When are you going to brigade up? Join us  :D
Working on my beast hunter upgrades already!

Tra'cor Clan
OM #1962
M.L.C.S. #45
B.O.M.B. #90

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!