Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

[WIP] soft stuff for my first armor

• 8 Replies
[WIP] soft stuff for my first armor
« on: Jan 05, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Hi, I'm new here.
I've been doing costumes of various types for quite a few years now, and doing something from Star Wars was always something I wanted to do. During the last couple of months I decided that this "something" would be a mandalorian.

And a few days ago I finally started the whole project by sewing the soft parts

this is what I have right now:

The vest, the neck seal and the kama are made from the same fabric (but don't aks me what it's called, I have no idear) and the vest is fully padded ('cause my plates will probably be metal). It also closes on the sides with Velcro. (I kinda got inspired by how bullet proof vests look)

For the shoulders, I tired to be fancy and used a star-like design instead of just doing the quilting parallel

And this is what the vest looks like, without me inside it:

(I know that the seams look kinda strange but I tried to make the pattern with the leas amount of pieces as possible while still making it fit to my body... I probably should have used my body-form to make my pattern, but I currently keep a leather armor on it, so it doesn't loose it's shape)

here is a small close up of the flatend seams I did on the flap of the neck seal:

And, last but not least, my kama:

It isn't quit done yet, 'cause I'm not sure how I will attach it.
also, yes the inside is a slightly different color, cause by that point I had run out of fabric...(what you see on the inside was left over from a holster I made last year, it's slightly stretchy and slightly lighter in color)

so that's about it...
if any of you are wondering about my colors, I'm gonna make the plates in a dark/navy blue with some symbols in black and some gold trimming

now for the part where I ask some (stupid) questions...

these are the boots I'm gonna use:

do you think they would work?

and most of all,
what kind of belt/belts can you recommend and am I missing any of the soft parts?

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: [WIP] soft stuff for my first armor
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:41 PM »
You've done some really nice work here.  I really like your flak vest's shoulder pads.  Those are really nice.  Very nice work overall.  And those boots will be fine, as long as you cover the laces and cover or remove any logos or labels.  I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this kit.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:57 PM »
thank you verry much

the boots don´t have any visible logos on them and I was planning on adding a plate to cover the lace

I also starded working on my helmet and I´m gonna open a topic on it soon (a little concept sketch is also in the making)

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:30 PM »
Awesome.  I'll keep my eyes open for it.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2018, 11:47 AM »
A small update
I made my multi-color  girth belt:

and I finally took the time to take my leather armor off of my "armor stand" and put the soft parts of my mando-armor on

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2018, 12:53 AM »
Oo love that girth belt, you’ve done great work so far.

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!

Havelock

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:18 AM »
I second that, Zarya.  That girth belt is phenomenal!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Glad you all like it.

I just got around to add some velcro that you can close it properly and I also made a Loin cloth that is attached to the Kama and holds it all together.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2018, 10:29 AM »
some more pictures of the current stage of kama, loincloth and belts:

and yes I added Jedi food capsules as a belt loop...^^

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!