Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

W.I.P. I have been gone for a bit....

• 145 Replies

Cavian_Morloc

• "Sucuy'gar ner vod."
Re: W.I.P. I have been gone for a bit....
« Reply #50 on: Mar 22, 2018, 11:17 PM »
Those are very very expensive gloves Vod! Got them at Harbor Freight.  :P (super cheap) Thank You for the kind words!

Ori'vor'e, thanks a lot! I'll have to see if I can find one of those in my state- Or at least something like it!

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. they/them
« Reply #51 on: Mar 23, 2018, 11:28 AM »
I'm gone for two weeks and you're half done! Super impressed with how fast you're knocking all this out, and it looks fantastic!

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #52 on: Mar 23, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Nice! I need to go shopping at Harbor Freight.

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Tal Akaan

• “Death...he comes for us all. Greet him fiercely.”
« Reply #53 on: Mar 23, 2018, 03:48 PM »
Lol!!! Thank you Vode!!!

Lay down a coat of Carbon Mist Dark Metallic aaaaaaaand wait.....I really want to pull off that masking tape BAD!!!

Update:
Couldn’t wait....

Soooo, now lets make a holster for this thing. Poster board template, picked up some tooling leather. The plan is to make a Jango rig, sidearm on the right side and the hip bag on the left.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2018, 09:52 AM by VampireHunterD » Logged

Tal Akaan

« Reply #54 on: Mar 24, 2018, 07:43 PM »
Armor size and shape and placement thoughts.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #55 on: Mar 24, 2018, 09:50 PM »
Really enjoyed watching this build, Vod. 
The size looks good, but the spacing needs to be a little closer together. You want about a thumbs width between the large plates, and a slightly smaller gap for the spacing around the diamond.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #56 on: Mar 24, 2018, 10:00 PM »
First, the pistol is looking awesome.  Really digging it.

Second, your placement and sizing is pretty good.  Looking at the spacing between the collar and chest plates, it's a smaller than the spacing between the chest and ab.  You'll want those to be as uniform as possible.  Additionally, the bottom of your ab plate should be resting right around your navel.  It looks like the bottom of the ab is a little low...but since I don't know where your navel is, I can't say for certain.   :P  However, moving the ab plate up a little should take care of it. 

The main problem with getting the spacing right is that the curves on the chest fangs don't quite match the curves on the ab plate.  That "feature" of the templates bugs the crap out of me.   :laugh:  But, to get your spacing juuuuuuust right, you might want to trim the ab plate a little to better match the curve of the chest fangs.

I hope the visual helps, vod. 

Otherwise, your build is coming along really nicely, and I can't wait to see more.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Tal Akaan

« Reply #57 on: Mar 25, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Makes perfect sense, thanks Havelock! Thank you Zulu! You guys are the very best!

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #58 on: Mar 25, 2018, 10:12 AM »
Hey there ! Looks like your build is on the right track !
I love that blaster, and both your plates and soft parts look really good :) Special mention for your paint job on your plates and bucket !

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

Tal Akaan

« Reply #59 on: Apr 08, 2018, 08:40 AM »
Thanks Myra Tiin, appreciate the encouragement!
So working on a few things.
Impact Grenade for the kit to hang off the belt.

Still need to liquid latex and put a coat of black on it and black wash.
Leather blaster holster:
Cut out and wet formed the leather

Then I tooled in the Mythosaur skull

Then stained the holster dark brown and painted the skull  with a transparent red

Added the riveting to put it together and let it dry overnight

The brown became really rich and the skull became more subtle, I’m really happy with how this turned out having never worked with leather. Thoughts, ideas, and comments welcome Vode!

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #60 on: Apr 08, 2018, 10:49 AM »
That holster looks great!

However, i still see 3d print lines on the impact grenade. You will have to sand those off.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #61 on: Apr 08, 2018, 12:35 PM »
For your first time sewing, that vest came out great! And your armor and weapons are coming along beautifully. Aside from the aforementioned spacing issues and the never ending plague of the ab template not-quite-matching the chest plates, I can't see anything that requires changing. A lot of the very small shaping troubles disappear when you have the plates secured to the vest, whether velcro, rivets or whatnot. When you do have the final attachment method chosen and done, you may have to tweak a tiny bit here and there, but that's about it.

Your paint and weathering on the completed parts is absolutely spot-on, very well done!

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Tal Akaan

« Reply #62 on: Apr 08, 2018, 06:25 PM »
Thank You Kel! Really appreciate the kind words!
And thank you Vhett, I was really happy with the outcome of the holster. So I sanded the Impact Grenade and used a filler primer on it. Do you think it’s okay to proceed to the black layer of paint and weathering?

Waiting to hear back before I move on.
Thank you again Vode!

Barrise Tisa

• Mother of nexu
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Celebration Orlando 2017 Donated four quarters of 2023. EnviroOps
« Reply #63 on: Apr 08, 2018, 07:06 PM »
Thank You Kel! Really appreciate the kind words!
And thank you Vhett, I was really happy with the outcome of the holster. So I sanded the Impact Grenade and used a filler primer on it. Do you think it’s okay to proceed to the black layer of paint and weathering?

Waiting to hear back before I move on.
Thank you again Vode!

That looks amazing I say move forward with paint.

The mother of nexus
MMCC #1735. Brigade #251,392.  QMU #065. M5 #84.  M.P.C.S. #004. Aran Wolves Oyula Ori'tsad #05. Mir'Shebse #14. L.O.B #36. M.A.R.S. #69 O.O.P.S #56 M.V.S #074 Vode Be Vhekad #19
https://i.imgur.com/dHQt60n.jpeg

Kol Varek

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #64 on: Apr 08, 2018, 11:48 PM »
Looks good, well done!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #65 on: Apr 11, 2018, 03:03 AM »
I like the idea with the hip bag. Where did you find that?

Tal Akaan

« Reply #66 on: Apr 11, 2018, 09:46 AM »
I like the idea with the hip bag. Where did you find that?

It’s a Ukoala bag, they make a ton of different ones. My buddy DoonPenn gave it to me a while back, he said he thought it would go good with my build. We have been working really close (when we can get the time) on our kits together. I have seen the Ukoala bags on Amazon.

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2018, 12:28 PM by VampireHunterD » Logged

Darasuum Prudii

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #67 on: Apr 11, 2018, 04:17 PM »
I bought it on eBay really cheap several years ago.
I think I paid under $20 for it.
It’s a Ukoala bag, they make a ton of different ones. My buddy DoonPenn gave it to me a while back, he said he thought it would go good with my build. We have been working really close (when we can get the time) on our kits together. I have seen the Ukoala bags on Amazon.

Tal Akaan

« Reply #68 on: Jun 23, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Just a little update, I finished the other shoulder plate. Here are a few pics.

Me and my Buddy are going to the BMG armor party today, so I should be able to get chest and back plates formed and ready for paint. Pics to follow

Kol Varek

« Reply #69 on: Jun 23, 2018, 03:24 PM »
Love the detail, well done on that weathering!

Tal Akaan

« Reply #70 on: Jul 02, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Thank You Vod!!!
Working on the Cod Plate

And some work on the shins

Anyway, this is where I’m at right now, comments welcome!

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #71 on: Jul 03, 2018, 09:15 AM »
Excellent weathering on the helmet and shoulders, and very nice job on those spats/shin plates! I'm not sure if the App team will want you to extend them just a hair to cover those bottom lace holes, but  they look awesome as is. That could also probably be achieved by adding boot armor too, without having to change the spats.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Tal Akaan

« Reply #72 on: Jul 03, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Thanks Slade! Planning on doing boot armor to ensure that those laces are covered.  :P

Tal Akaan

« Reply #73 on: Jul 04, 2018, 01:29 PM »

A little more work on the shins, next is ankle and toe caps for the boots! Happy 4th of July Vode!!!

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #74 on: Jul 04, 2018, 07:12 PM »
Looking great, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!