Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mando Kit WIP - chest armor

• 19 Replies
Mando Kit WIP - chest armor
« on: Jan 27, 2018, 02:47 AM »
Hey there everybody. Got my coveralls in the other day and I got a decent start on my vest. The vest has an awkward fit so we’re going to try and fix that. But I’d like to hear some opinions on what I have so far, especially about the size of the chest plates. My bf thinks that they are too big. (Sorry for the goofy face, I’m tired)

Also here’s my concept for reference

« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2018, 12:02 PM by Bunnalor » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Mando Kit WIP - chest armor
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:08 AM »
Definitely on the large side. I've resized everything heightwise (you could probably lose another inch of height even beyond what I've drawn out) and marked off where sash and cod would be fitting.

For the width, I pulled the collar up and a little closer to the neck which you'll need to keep - however the rest of the shape widthwise can be changed - you can add more onto the outside edge of the collar and chest plates or thin down the lower fangs and ab plates to get the exact shaping you want.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2018, 12:56 PM »
Additionally, your flak vest will need to shortened.  As long as it doesn't stick out the bottom of your girth belt, you're good.  And I really like your design.  Looking forward to seeing you bring this to life.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2018, 03:44 PM »
In addition to what Kris and Havelock said, it looks like you'll need to tailor your coveralls a bit. Sorry to nail you with still more stuff, but the sooner you are made aware the better.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2018, 12:01 AM »
Definitely on the large side. I've resized everything heightwise (you could probably lose another inch of height even beyond what I've drawn out) and marked off where sash and cod would be fitting.

For the width, I pulled the collar up and a little closer to the neck which you'll need to keep - however the rest of the shape widthwise can be changed - you can add more onto the outside edge of the collar and chest plates or thin down the lower fangs and ab plates to get the exact shaping you want.

Thank you this helps so much!!

In addition to what Kris and Havelock said, it looks like you'll need to tailor your coveralls a bit. Sorry to nail you with still more stuff, but the sooner you are made aware the better.

Definitely! I was going to do a little research to see if there were any tutorials or tips on taking in coveralls before I did it because I really don’t want to mess it up. The legs need to be taken in too. Thank you!!

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2018, 12:23 AM by Kadiith » Logged

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2018, 12:40 AM »
Just an FYI:  double posting (responding to your own post without anyone else having responded first) is against forum rules, and the mods'll yell at you for it.   :P

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2018, 12:45 AM »
Just an FYI:  double posting (responding to your own post without anyone else having responded first) is against forum rules, and the mods'll yell at you for it.   :P
...unless it has been more then 24hrs.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2018, 05:52 PM »
Sorry, I understand what you mean but I don’t think I responded to my own post, I just responded to everyone’s suggestions with a thank you... I might be wrong or confused but thanks for the heads up.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:06 PM »
You were responding to 3 different people, but you should still do that all in one reply.  You can do multiple quotes in a single post.  "Respond to your own post" can also be stated "post consecutively," and that's probably the clearer meaning.

Havelock

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:07 PM »
^^ That.  ^^ Thank you, Sep.   ;D

Kadiith

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:29 AM »
No worries about yelling, but the posts have been merged into one for you. ;)  If something happens that you forgot to include in a post, you can hit "edit post" and add it in if no one else has responded yet.

Need help? Check out the Rules and Guides Board
Signature look cut off? Check out the Forum Signature Guide

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:58 AM »
Nothing to add that hasn’t been stated, just commenting so I can get updates from ya!

I like your concept :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2018, 06:21 AM »
You were responding to 3 different people, but you should still do that all in one reply.  You can do multiple quotes in a single post.  "Respond to your own post" can also be stated "post consecutively," and that's probably the clearer meaning.
No worries about yelling, but the posts have been merged into one for you. ;)  If something happens that you forgot to include in a post, you can hit "edit post" and add it in if no one else has responded yet.

Oooh okay thank you guys!

Dar'manda

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2018, 11:19 AM »
You’ve got a good start vod! I do believe, that if you are intending to use the collar on your flightsuit as your neck seal, that you will have to add material to close the gap in the opening at the front of the neck. As per CRL’s under soft parts: “If the flight suit collar does not fully cover the neck, a neck seal will be required. Neck seals can be separate pieces or built into the flight suit or vest. (We should not be able to see any visible skin showing between the flight suit and helmet from any angle.)”  Like Mak said, I hate to add onto more of what’s been said, but it’s a lot easier to get the little things up front. :)  I love the design vod, and I can’t wait to watch more progress!!
Also, here’s a tutorial I made on altering flightsuits. Hopefully it’ll help you out vod. :)

Shortcut

• Master Kad'la Cabur: Mandalore's Favorite Mechanic
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:24 PM »
I really like your design! It has the medic-y look and also gorgeous as standalone armor (no brigade I mean).

I would suggest to leave a bit of sleeve (around 1 1/2 inches) over your wrist, beginning at the base of the palm. That is so that the gauntlets doesn't chafe (as much) your wrists. And so that your sleeves stay tucked in your gloves. Your wrists will thank you later.

Comfort is first, specially when you do not know how much time you are going to be in it at any given time.

Will be following this closely, vod. I really like your concept. ;)

- Kad'la "Shortcut" Cabur, MVOO

MMCC #1205
M.A.D. #66
M5 #58
Brigade #196
"You live, die, and remembered by your example to others. Mandalorians are as true as their words, and as deadly as their actions."

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:44 AM »
Good progress! The others beat me to what I was going to say, but you seem to be in good hands! Following with interest!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #16 on: Jun 07, 2018, 03:00 PM »
After not working on my kit for quite some time I finally have an update on my plates. Before my stencils were way too big and wide

But with the help of some of you all I skimmed them down to what I think is the appropriate size and also made my vest a little shorter as well. I know these pictures aren’t the best and it might be hard to compare since the plates aren’t attached to the vest yet but if I could get your opinions it would really help me out.

And here’s the slimmed down vest and flight suit and additional girth belt.

(I think I kinda look like a dragon ball z character haha)
The vest could still use a teeny bit of work (I need to add a second buckle to the side) but please let me know what you think! Thanks in advance.

Edit: also I realize I don’t have a neck guard yet, I’m focusing on the armor pieces for right now. And the parts of my vest that hold my shoulder armor up look a little floppy and weird but I’ll fix it!

« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2018, 03:06 PM by Bunnalor » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #17 on: Jun 07, 2018, 03:51 PM »
Comparing the two pics they look like they should be good size now :)

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Diijin

• "No, you may not touch my bolas."
« Reply #18 on: Jun 08, 2018, 05:30 PM »
Following so I can get updates. Awesome job so far :porg2:

Firestorm Clan
MMCC #1489
BOMB #82
MACK #48
MARS #72
Oribru Akaata #24
LOB #38
BEARDS #141
OOPS #26
Beast Hunter/Desert Ops WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=134706.msg1746773#msg174677
« Reply #19 on: Jun 10, 2018, 09:55 PM »
Following so I can get updates. Awesome job so far :porg2:
Thank you  ;)

Comparing the two pics they look like they should be good size now :)
Thanks!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!