Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sea_Marshall ESB Boba Fett WIP

• 57 Replies

Sea_Marshall

• Murdoch, Captain of the Osprey VT-49 Decimator
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Sea_Marshall ESB Boba Fett WIP
« Reply #45 on: Apr 29, 2018, 11:06 PM »
Updates!

I'm naturally impatient and wanted to get an EE-3 in time for May 4th, so I used the HappyTrooper.com EE-3 tutorial. Seeing as this is a scratch build, my goal isn't screen accuracy, rather silhouette accuracy. I will, however, keep an eye out for upgrades but will see how this holds me over. Might even get approved.

Basic shapes and rough fit:

Wood epoxy shaped on the barrel, sanded down:

First coats of black primer!

And a stain for the rifle stock:

Getting there.

Sea_Marshall

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2018, 01:10 PM »
Quick update. I'll be doing the engraving on the grip today and painting it brass/bronze, as well as some other detail work. Just waiting on the mounting clips and I can attach the scope. Still have to put porting on the barrel too, will have to sort that out.

Also, I was watching ESB for some Boba training and I heard, for the first time, the spur sounds of Boba Fett as he walks in various sets of Bespin. So I went to a local Michaels and found some bells that sound close enough to the sound clip. I plan to put these in my shin too pockets and hopefully they'll clink when I walk!

Can't wait to suit up again! So many changes have been made since my last test run.

Got my pockets with foam, lined the rope belt, shaded the helmet and armor, weathered the flight suit arms, vest, and the EE-3 is coming along great. Holster is in the mail, still not sure where to acquire a Pulce 40 sidearm though... Still need to sort out RF lights and servo, but mainly lights.

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful, history is violent.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2018, 03:39 PM »
That's a good idea on the spur front.

I've got some metal bits hanging in the void behind my knee darts that do the same thing.

First Kit WIP

Protector Build

ESB Boba Fett

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 ||

Sea_Marshall

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2018, 12:28 PM »
May 4th gave me the unique opportunity to take my kit out for a run with the 501st GGG when they visited my work campus. I attended as an employee with a really nice Boba Fett kit. :lol:

I also had a chance to lay out my gear and take reference photos for fine tuning equipment. So much more to do before formal applications take place. This is my new base level as I upgrade the parts to be more accurate and comfortable to troop in. There are a number of items that have long wait times to acquire and my choice of equipment sped up my ability to kit up and take it out for free events. I'm in chats with several vendors to round out my equipment.

Immediate upgrades needed:
Big Dane Jetpack Harness
Mike M Gloves
Arkady Flight suit, vest, neckseal
Sidewinder EE-3, Pulce, holster

Helmet:
- FPH2 cast by @Wasted Fett
- First paint up
- Static rangefinder with nut and bolt
- Lights and RF upgrades planned for future.

Armor, Accessories, and Soft Parts:
- Flight suit, vest, neck seal, gauntlets, boots, jetpack, shin tools, girth belt by Man of War Studios
- Planned upgrade soft parts to Arkady at later time.
- ESB Hero armor cast by @Wasted Fett
- Armor attached with locking back jeweler's pins
- Ammo belt by @Delta13Mike
- Wookiee Braids by @woodman
- Cape by 14 Killstripes. Donated as a spare from material he had remaining.
- Metal Accessories by Machine Craft Replicas: JP Beacon, Collar/Cod Studs, Gauntlet Darts, Toe Spikes
- EE-3 built using the Happytrooper.com tutorial - first attempt. Intended to have the correct silhouette, despite inaccuracy.

Sea_Marshall

« Reply #49 on: Jun 15, 2018, 11:52 AM »
Dropping off a few test-run photos from the San Francisco Comic Con. Everything worked out and stayed put. I have lots of upgraded items in the works: new flight suit, vest, neck seal, gloves, jetpack harness, and still waiting to pull the trigger on the rangefinder upgrade for BRLs. But this suit should check out for 'basic Boba'. I need to upgrade my girth belt to a larger size and dye. I can't see the belt in the rear as the overall length is a few inches too short. Hopefully that doesn't hold me back - CRLs just mention a gap between buckles, no mention of gap distance however. You can see where it ends on my hips, just on top of the kidney plate. I also need to upgrade my EE-3, which I have the Mk II items ready for construction. I've since acquired screen accurate molex connectors and still need to remove the text on the scope.

Since the last test run on May 4th, I've made tweaks, touchups, and fitting changes. A matte coat was applied to the whole armor set to lock in color and protect the surface. The major difference is I'm 10 pounds lighter in the new photo set. Gear fits much better!  :laugh:

Still awaiting my long lost Holster and Pulce 40. Should have them by end of next month and attached to the kit. Any thoughts on this rig? Just looking for basic Boba as I have upgrades in the works for BRL and Infamous.

Mi'ix

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #50 on: Jun 15, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Wow! This came together really quite nicely for you!

Hopefully that nemrod and pulse 40 will arrive in the mail quickly!

What is your Boba thong made out of? It looks to be nylon instead of elastic?

I would pop those braids out from under your shoulder plate and have it so they're resting over it.

Make sure to weather your flightsuit a bit more especially at the calves and your thigh pouches. Vest looks pristine as well. I like the weathering around your double sleeves, but next to the vest there's no consistency.

First Kit WIP

Protector Build

ESB Boba Fett

Sea_Marshall

« Reply #51 on: Jun 15, 2018, 12:52 PM »
Wow! This came together really quite nicely for you!

Hopefully that nemrod and pulse 40 will arrive in the mail quickly!

What is your Boba thong made out of? It looks to be nylon instead of elastic?

I would pop those braids out from under your shoulder plate and have it so they're resting over it.

Make sure to weather your flightsuit a bit more especially at the calves and your thigh pouches. Vest looks pristine as well. I like the weathering around your double sleeves, but next to the vest there's no consistency.

Hey thanks man.

Yes, the thong is gray nylon. The BRLs ask for gray/white nylon or elastic.
Agreed on the braid placement. I need to put in a velcro tab and sinew to hold it in place. Tucking under the shoulder was a quick solution.
The weathering is a battle with lighting. I hear outdoor shade is the best light source. Here's a few photos where the weathering is more visible. Thoughts welcome on that. The vest was airbrushed with gray, arms are black. The calves are considerably darker than my thighs. I could revisit those areas for sure, just don't want to over do the weathering.

Thanks for the feedback! Greatly appreciated.

I used this image as reference for the pant weathering, but agree that I can revisit the pockets:

I might just have to check with the lighting when I submit for apps. That delicate balance lol. Here's the vest and pants from another lighting perspective. Might have to hit the vest with black to bring out the color more.

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2018, 01:13 PM by Sea_Marshall » Logged

Mi'ix

« Reply #52 on: Jun 15, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Ah, these pictures definitely help show the picture better.

I would go a wee but heavier on the weathering with your thigh pouch flaps and calves then. I definitely get the fear of over weathering.

First Kit WIP

Protector Build

ESB Boba Fett

Sea_Marshall

« Reply #53 on: Jun 26, 2018, 04:17 PM »
I guess until I'm approved, I'm still a WIP! Here are some quick updates:

Size and order to Arkady for tailored flight suit, neck seal, and vest.
Gloves ordered from Mike M.
Holster crafted by Delta13 is in the mail!
JC25's RF light kit should be on the way as well!

Just got Big Dane's jetpack rig! Can't wait to put it on and feel the difference.

April Storm printed out a beautiful Pulce 40 that got cleaned up and primed.

And I got to take my Fett out for a run at the San Francisco Comic Con! I've lost at least 10 pounds in these photos from May 4th. Suit fits MUCH better now! Currently down 20 pounds now. Getting Boba Fit. :boba:

Haven't even made it approved as a Basic Boba for 501st or MMCC, but already looking into Level 2 Infamous and Brigade upgraaaaaades.

STOKED. it's only a matter of time now...

Mi'ix

« Reply #54 on: Jun 26, 2018, 04:34 PM »
Excellent upgrades!

That Big Dane pack will make a difference right away!

First Kit WIP

Protector Build

ESB Boba Fett

Sea_Marshall

« Reply #55 on: Jul 07, 2018, 03:23 PM »
Quick update! I've acquired everything to apply. Here are a few pictures of the final changes before suiting up! I'll hopefully input my application by tomorrow.

Ported the barrel:

Acquired a leather Nemrod style hoster from Delta Leather Works:

And 3D printed Pulce 40 from April Storm:

I've revisited the flight suit and weathered the pockets more. Touched up the gray on the vest to darken it up a bit. The wookiee braids will be sewn in place between the collar and shoulder. Thanks for all the help so far. I have the brigade requirements in the works right now, so, something to upgrade into. 

Sea_Marshall

« Reply #56 on: Jul 08, 2018, 04:34 AM »
Dropping off these updated photos for WIP progression. It's come a long way!  :boba:

This is indoor, outdoor indirect sunlight, outdoor direct sunlight. Pleased to see the color doesn't shift too dramatically.

And played in the woods across the street for a few snaps:

I've submitted application photos and am looking forward to what the clubs have to say. The anticipation will likely keep me awake at night.

Sea_Marshall

« Reply #57 on: Jul 08, 2018, 05:28 AM »
I'll drop this stuff off too for references of where I stand compared to some film references. It's really tough to nail the colors down, especially on my first paint up. I've seen several other Boba painters really nail the color. I used information that has to be several years old for sure, perhaps the next paint up I'll deviate and go with what my eye suggests. The shades of green are varying not only in the film, but between every Boba Fett out there. I feel good about my colors though. 

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!