Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Flight Suit Dying Help

• 2 Replies

Azzie

Flight Suit Dying Help
« on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:26 PM »
I am needing some help on getting some fabric dyed for my suit. I have tried dying swatches of the fabric a few times with no success. My issue is that I am trying to get close in color to a pair of gray boots I have already purchased. I am making a Rav Bralor suit so the color has to be gray and I do like the color that is on these boots.

I have no experience in dying cloth and it shows in my attempts. I feel that I will be only wasting more money if I continue to try this on my own. I would like to have someone else that has far more experience in dying cloth do this for me. I do understand that dying is a trial and error, but i feel I will have far more of these then someone with experience.

Does anyone know someone that is around the St. Louis area that dyes fabric and would do it for a reasonable fee? I have the fabric already and have purchased the dye. If more fabric is needed I am willing to pay for that as well to get this done.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

PS: I am willing to travel within the area (give or take a few hours) if someone is close to St. Louis and can do this.

DocJancsi

• Pillage, THEN burn
Re: Flight Suit Dying Help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2018, 09:52 PM »
What type of fabric are you using? Dying is extremely dependent upon the type of fabric you are using. Among Natural fibers,  Cotton, and Linen and Hemp take up different dyes than wool and silk. Some synthetic fabric will take dye very well like Rayon, others like polyester and nylon are very difficult or impossible to dye.

Here is a basic primer on dying fabric.
[url = http://blog.wardrobesupplies.com/2014/05/21/home-fabric-dyes-101/]How do I Choose Which Fabric Dye to Use?[/url]

and a good source for fabric specific dying agents and fixatives:
[urlhttps://www.jacquardproducts.com/dyes/]Jaquard Products[/url]

RiT is a good general purpose dye and will work OK for most purposes but it is always better to choose a specific dying process for your fabric.

A Mandalorian should be able to raise a child, plan an invasion, butcher a nerf, fly a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, slice a computer, cook a meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Azzie

Re: Flight Suit Dying Help
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2018, 10:55 AM »
The material I am trying to dye is cotton twill. I purchased dye from https://www.dharmatrading.com/ .

I did speak with someone about dying and what to do. She did help me get started. I am just to much a novice at this and I don't have the money to support a large amount of trial and errors which is what this will end up being if I continue to try this on my own.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!