Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tutorial -- Legacy Strapping Guide

• 11 Replies

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
Tutorial -- Legacy Strapping Guide
« on: Feb 04, 2018, 08:42 PM »
This is a tutorial for how to use nylon strapping, chicago screws and legos to assemble your legacy plates.  These are the Drake templates designed by Ohl’d Vart from the Legacy forum, and can be downloaded here: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=73517.0

So, you’ve traced your templates out on Sintra, and you’ve cut out your plates:

And shaped them:

Flip your plates over and mark the centerlines with a sharpie and a straight edge.

I used a 1 x 4 lego brick and a 1x1 stud to mark consistent distance for the holes for the chicago screws.

Hole locations marked -- chest plate gets 2 holes, one for connecting to the collar plate-- for the chest plate because of the complex curves I do the center strap first, all the way, before working on the sides.

I used the smallest bit I had to drill center holes to keep the larger bit (13/64) from walking.  13/64 seems to be just the right size for the chicago screws I buy on Amazon.

I used a 1 x 1 stud to mark my planned overlap for the plates:

Starting with the bottom plate, I work my way way up the torso.  I use a hole punch for strapping from hobby lobby and a lighter to seal the holes.  I line up the centerlines, and the overlap marks then mark the next hole with a sharpie.

Repeat for the sides. Here I did it one plate level at a time, ie. both sides of the bottom plate, then the next plate up etc.

I like to have my collar abutting, overlapping is also acceptable for legacy.  The collar got 3 short straps to connect to the top chest plate:

Chest complete:

Repeat, but actually much easier for backplate:

Completed:

Eventually I will connect the top of the back plate with the collar plate with a strap on either side, and connect the bottom ab plate to the bottom back plate on both sides-- probably with a leather strap.   I still have bevels to add to these plates, some trimming, and trauma plating to do, but I wanted to do this write up for the strapping technique because Photobucket killed a lot of the tutorials I learned from on my first (3 mill) kit.  If you have any questions, or there’s a photo you’d like that I left out, let me know.

Sep

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Tutorial -- Legacy Strapping Guide
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:09 PM »
Awesome, Sep...I've added this to the Legacy strapping guide reference thread. :)

Rob

Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34

Alor Contact Form (for MMCC Club Officers leveling sanctions): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=22

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:48 PM »
Thanks Vart! Happy to contribute!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:42 PM »
10/10 by itself. 100/10 because it's post-Photobucket Fiasco.

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2018, 01:57 PM »
Imgur FTW! Hope it helps you with your build!

Ruus bal'Neta

• Formerly 'Mysterious Stranger'
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Thank you so much for posting this.

Ruus'alor, Clan Manda'galaar / OM #1686 1/12/17 / Invasions: 84 (including 11 as wrangler)
Ruus bal'Neta - Brigade Member #253 - Vanguard Division / Shock Infantry / Droid Hunter (MMCC 1st approved 1/18/18)
Kyr’am Tyrahr #1686B approved 11/23/18
CAO Team

redraynos14

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:47 PM »
good job on the tutorial! appreciate it!

|B.O.M.B. #89|M.A.C.K. #52| Invasions Total: 19| 2017: 12| 2016: 7|Educational Events on Record: 8| Joined 03/2017|Upgrade WIP Here
OG PRE-APP 2016
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2018, 09:34 AM »
Thanks for posting this! I love the Lego trick!

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2018, 02:59 PM »
made  big difference in alignment :) Happy to help! Let me know if you have any questions

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful, history is violent.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2018, 04:41 PM »
What a great idea with the use of the lego!

Much better than stepping on them!  :laugh:

First Kit WIP

Protector Build

ESB Boba Fett

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 ||

TracynSenaar

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2018, 10:44 PM »
I've literally NEVER thought about attaching the armor to straps. I always just attached the armor to the next plate, which has always placed a lot of stress on my chicago screws and they will pop open at the most inopportune time.

This is revolutionary information.

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2018, 11:50 PM »
This is revolutionary information.

I stand on the shoulders of giants :p  Vart, Bowfanny, Ronin

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!