Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jakan's starting plans

• 20 Replies

JakanOrar

• What a time to be alive.
Jakan's starting plans
« on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:47 AM »
So here's a messy basic sketch i whipped up in about an hour:

My biggest questions would be:
>Is it acceptable to have only one thigh armor piece since the other side will have the kama?
>Is this degree of asymmetry alright? I've looked at other's finished kits and have seen alittle bit of the asymmetrical designs but not as severe as mine (at least not for a modern design), although it's not really mentioned in the CRL's (or maybe i just didn't see it).
>Since I'm pretty flat in the chest area for a female, could I possibly get away with 'male shaped' pec plates?

Other notes to be taken into account:
>My torso is hilariously short compared to my legs so the actual look of the chest armor may be significantly more squished then I drew it.
>Previous statement in mind, having a kama is kind of a must unless i want to look like a buff, armored ballerina.

and if you cant' really see what i wrote on the plans themselves here's a link to a larger img https://i.imgur.com/fGQKxXi.jpg

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2018, 03:53 AM by JakanOrar » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Jakan's starting plans
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:00 PM »
Yes, you can mismatch the thigh and armoured kama.

You may do whatever style of plate you wish providing they are shaped to fit you (or the vest is padded where needed) and they fit the correct era of armour.

I know that feeling well, wide shouldered, short torso person right here. My plates are also squished :P

LOL. Also another yes, know that feeling too. I love my kama.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:09 PM »
I really like the asymmetrical looks.  Haven't incorporated into my kit yet, but might with shoulders this time around.  Kamas hide a world of sins, a flight suit that fits my back won't fit my quads, so Kama is great there :) 
One of the great things about the Mercs is that there are many different ways to work around aesthetics and body type as you like or don't vs. making a straight up face character.

Look forward to seeing your build! 

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Something you'll need to keep in mind as you start putting this together:

If the circled bit there is an armored loin cloth, it will need to be a distinct separate piece from the rest of the kama.  It should also sit under your waist items, including the kama.  If the circled bit is part of the kama, you'll need to have a cod there, or a distinct separate loin cloth.

I find this design very intriguing and I'm going to enjoy watching your build.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

JakanOrar

« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:54 PM »

If the circled bit there is an armored loin cloth, it will need to be a distinct separate piece from the rest of the kama.  It should also sit under your waist items, including the kama.  If the circled bit is part of the kama, you'll need to have a cod there, or a distinct separate loin cloth.

I find this design very intriguing and I'm going to enjoy watching your build.

Oh yes thank you for letting me know I had no idea. I'll probably make that chunk a lioncloth since I intend to have as wide range of motion I can and cod peices don't cooperate with that too well

-----

UPDATE:
I went out and got some misc items and material to start working on the vest/waist/kama:

The fabric on the bottom is faux leather that I intend to use for the vest. Below are my plans on how to make it. I've tried making one before and it turns out that im very bad at figuring out how to get it done, so this time i intend to have good plans built on my past errors :D

The kama will likely be made with duck fabric which I still need to get. The black belt in the middle of the first picture has velcro on the inside which is the perfect mount for my kama and loin cloths. I will put a hook side of velcro on the outside of the hanging fabrics and attach them to this belt, and this whole assembly will be hidden under the sash.

Those little peices I found at the hardware store as I was getting those PVC pipes for my shoulder armor. I figured they would be perfect for the dart launcher and flamethrower nozzles on my gauntlets.

and last but not least a quick rendering of my bucket in MSpaint just so ya'll can see my color choice (minus the outlines)

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2018, 09:37 PM by JakanOrar » Logged

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2018, 10:13 PM »
This is a nice way to start things off.  More please.   :P 

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

JakanOrar

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2018, 02:22 AM »
This is a nice way to start things off.  More please.   :P
ask and you shall receive!
it's 2 A.M. and i should be trying to go to bed earlier so i have more time in the day to do this but here's what i've got:

my plans for the bracers (after looking at a bunch of peoples WIP's). They're probably going to be PVC and wood for the raised parts

and here's a rough idea of how the belts+sash will work:
first the attachment method

then what it would look like without the sash, the black fabric representing the kama, and my shemagh in place of the loincloth

then with the sash represented by a dish towel :laugh:

i have discovered that this will end up being very tight but worth it because even with the rudimentary replacement fabrics it still looks pretty good

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2018, 06:27 AM »
If you can work it into your design this might help with an armoured kama and thus weighty - I have belt loops on my flightsuit that the belt that holds my cod, drop straps for my thighs and my kama all attach onto. It stop the entire set up from going anywhere since getting it back into place while its under a girth belt is tricky. I also attached a bit of padding to the flightsuit at my hips right where the weight of the under belt sits to stop it from rubbing. The entire assembly stays put no matter what I do now and there's less bruises from long troops.

Cod plates can actually be really maneuverable if you get the design right for your body. I can sit down, crouch etc in mine without a problem.

lol, glad its not only me that uses the most random items as stand ins to get an idea of placement and such. I'd shift the kama round the side a little so it's just a touch less over the loin cloth, but otherwise it's looking good. Will be nice to see it in it's proper materials :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

JakanOrar

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2018, 03:34 PM »
If you can work it into your design this might help with an armoured kama and thus weighty - I have belt loops on my flightsuit that the belt that holds my cod, drop straps for my thighs and my kama all attach onto. It stop the entire set up from going anywhere since getting it back into place while its under a girth belt is tricky. I also attached a bit of padding to the flightsuit at my hips right where the weight of the under belt sits to stop it from rubbing.

>Considering how tight this will be at my waist and how wide my hips are I'm not to concerned with it falling down, however the padding is good insight. All that weight sitting on my hips would sure lead to some chaffing after a long day!
>I've never been a fan of cod plates to begin with, seem alittle awkward to me but that's just me. Also, if it's one less thing I have to mold into an organic shape it'll be just alittle more easy on my limited skillset.  :P
>yea improvising is fun and looks ridiculous but it gets the job done right?  :laugh:

Kris Jasra

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:11 AM »
>Considering how tight this will be at my waist and how wide my hips are I'm not to concerned with it falling down

Oh, mine doesn't fall down either, it slides upwards. Sits on the juncture between waist and hips and since my waist is smaller than my hips the entire lot tries to slide up to be around my stomach.  I spent half my time tugging it back down. Half the reason I got thigh plates to add to the weight and to try and keep it down. The entire rig is one big balancing act now.

« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2018, 02:15 AM by Kris Jasra » Logged

JakanOrar

« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:39 AM »
Oh, mine doesn't fall down either, it slides upwards. Sits on the juncture between waist and hips and since my waist is smaller than my hips the entire lot tries to slide up to be around my stomach.  I spent half my time tugging it back down. Half the reason I got thigh plates to add to the weight and to try and keep it down. The entire rig is one big balancing act now.

HAH sounds like a similar problem I had when I tried making armor the first time. My thigh plate was held up by the belt and the belt held down by the plate. After about 10 minutes everything would be lopsided  :laugh:

Speaking of which, UPDATE:
Went out and got my duck cloth today. Started my kama and loin cloth(s?):
Started with a paper kama so I could get the cut right

Then here's my kama/loin cloth/sash combo all held up with masking tape and bobby pins because I cant find my velcro:

I'm surprised that they are being held on so well since its just tape. I may not have to go crazy with the velcro. Also this whole assembly is surprisingly comfortable. I can move not only my legs (as seen) but also my whole torso is free(aside from some major stretches like a back bridge). I can even touch my toes no problem!

Here's what I wanted to originally test today: will the drop strap gun holster with an actual holster get in the way of the thigh piece?
Now this is the old thigh piece I made about half a year ago on my first attempt ever. It's pretty low quality but its the right size I intend to use so it serves its purpose.

Answer: sort of. It looks fine standing up but sitting down its kind of a mess.
My actual holster is designed to be put on a belt so it doesnt work to well with the drop strap either.

However it looks a bit better without the holster:

Also that isn't the prop I intend to use as my sidearm I just thought it was a bit more appropriate than using an actual gun.

Question time!
>If the loincloth LOOKS separate from the kama, is it okay to attach it to the kama itself?
>Should I just get rid of the butt cloth? It doesnt really show anyway and is made a bit redundant by the fact that the kama goes that far around.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2018, 01:22 PM »
The kama and loincloth need to be (or appear to be) different, the way you have them set up now looks good, attach them at the top if you want so nothing wanders and leave the lower sections free for movement. I like the rear panel as it complements the loincloth at the front.

I'd suggest taking an inch off the sash, short torso means thinner sash/girthbelt without it looking too small. That'll give just a touch more room to fit your ab plate in without the sash trying to over/underlap it. - bottom of the ab will likely sit about level with your elbow.

And yeeesssss, movement is awesome, hopefully you will be able to join me in the 'I can sit down crosslegged on the floor, are you jealous?' club :P

Havelock

« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:06 PM »
Kris has been - as usual - doing an amazing job of responding and answering questions.  But I wanted to chime in with a quick, "It looks great!"

JakanOrar

« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:14 PM »
UPDATE!
It's been a day or so but I wanted to finish the whole vest before I posted it since I did most of it in one night and only had to do a few things to finish. My coveralls also came in today and they're almost exactly the right size for me I was so happy. This post I'm going to copy over to a WIP thread, but I still have other things to plan out so I'll still be mostly active on this one.

First i made a paper vest, since it worked really well for the kama:

then after making sure the shape was right i switched it to faux leather:

i found that i needed to make the side panels stay in place so i could line up the velcro so i made straps with parachute clips

after i tried it on with my belts and such i found where i needed to cinch it up to make it fit better and marked it, indicated by the triangles:

here's what it looks like with the cinches and belt/sash combo:

my coveralls have little buttons that close the collar and i was pleased to find that it sticks up pretty well so i dont have to make a separate collar:

although since they're pretty tight i can sit down without it squeezing my neck so i oped to undo the top button:

instead i will put an old spanktank on my neck to offer frontal coverage.

the whole assembly so far:

aaaand some more questions:
>Before i commit to the pouches i have, is it alright to have exposed velcro/fasteners on those? The CRL's made it pretty clear not to have them showing on the vest and other soft parts but didn't mention on the accessories.
>While on the topic of fasteners, is it alright for my spats to have them showing or do they need to be one solid (or solid looking) piece of fabric?

Plans for bucket and shnees incoming soon.

bonus:

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 06:34 PM by JakanOrar » Logged

Kris Jasra

« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:46 PM »
KITTY!!!!!

So cute!!!!

What? Wip? Sorry, distracted.

Looking good. Having strapping and fastenings is fine - but hide the velcro part if there's one there. I've used several methods, from overlaying a thin leather or fabric sheath over the fastening to hide either elastic or velcro, running fastenings underneath other parts, and possibly the easiest for velcro if it's one of those straps that pull round with a long strip so you can adjust them to fit any size is to pull the strap tight so the velcro is stuck down and simply unpick and take off any excess velcro that's showing. And with fasteners, try to avoid using or just leaving any cheap looking plastic visible. A simple silver drybrush can make plastic look like painted metal and will really help sell a kit as not just a plastic costume.

JakanOrar

« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:53 PM »
i only ask because apparently military/police surplus is ALL ABOUT THAT VELCRO

i probably should've gone with some older stuff since those tend to use buckles and snaps

Kris Jasra

« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:01 AM »
Oh, things like those pouches are easy to deal with, last suggestion on my list would remove it - just unpick that bottom section of velcro where nothing is needed to stick to it, cut it off in a curve to match the flap, then just sew the new bottom back down. Or alternatively - make up some plates or patches or something to stick onto the velcro so it's not visible.

JakanOrar

« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2018, 01:49 AM »
helmet and shnee plans:

PVC is either going to be my best friend or that one person you can't stand to even see in public but have to pretend you're ok with by the end of this

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2018, 02:25 AM by JakanOrar » Logged

Havelock

« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2018, 03:08 PM »
I really like your design.  This is going to be a great kit.   :)

PVC is either going to be my best friend or that one person you can't stand to even see in public but have to pretend you're ok with by the end of this

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:28 AM »
Cool design and choice of colours vod
I like your cat too, cheeky fat tiger.....give him/her a pat

JakanOrar

« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2018, 12:03 AM »
UPDATE (sorta):
started on the hard parts of my armour and am moving over to an amour WIP on the main board!

here's the WIP thread: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=148825.msg1851491#msg1851491

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!