Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP Hard hat and sintra helmet guide for those unable to procure templates

• 2 Replies

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
First off, I don't have a printer, so pepakura and templates aren't something I can easily access. So “I'll make it up as I go along” has long been a build method for me. This led to a couple of failed attempts in size and shaping, so I thought I'd share the method that I've finally settled on for getting a well proportioned helmet.

I'll also be attempting to stick to using the most basic tools. I have built up quite a collection over the years, but I've gone back to cheap and easy tools as much as I can for this so that it is less daunting for anyone just starting out.

Tools and materials list:

-Hard hat.
-Cutting tool of the saw variety.
-Sanding tool of some form.
-Marker.
-Ruler.
-Cardboard.
-Thermoplastic, eg sintra, foamex, kydex, or similar. (I'll use the term sintra in this thread as it's what the largest population will get their hands on)
-Heat gun.
-Box cutter, stanley knife (or a dremel if you prefer to cut/melt plastics that way).
-Masking tape.
-Fibreglass paste.
-Bondo, aka car body filler.
-Plastic glue, eg E6000 or plastic epoxie.

First off. Acquire a dome. Without pepakura or a lot of plotting to make your own dome, buying one for a first attempt is more than likely a far easier option and they are pretty cheap.

It's a nice cheery blue too, almost a shame to cover it all eventually. However, for now pull all the internals out.

Grab a marker pen and mark over the top of any rim or protrusion that you won't want in the final design, connect all the marks until you have a nice solid line to cut.

This is the simplest (if labour intensive compared to using power tools) way of cutting this out. I start off with a simple junior hacksaw (both them and the blades are easy to find in any decent hardware store and they come in useful for all sorts of projects so they can never be considered a waste of money) and then move to a bigger saw once I've got a groove to cut in.

Okay, so I confess, I may have broken my dremel (again) a while back... And voila, one helmet sans plastic rim. Set the rim to one side, it's not useful right now. It's also good to just clean up the edges with a sanding implement.

Pop the helmet on and work out where the earcaps will be sitting. I added a tiny bit of foam just to mimic the fact that i'd be padding it a little when done. It's only a cm thick bit, just enough to stop hard plastic against the skull.
Now, the temptation may be there to tilt the helmet backwards on your head, try and resist that, keep the edge of the helmet relatively flat.

Left is what you're wanting, avoid the image on the right. (Ignore the expressions - mirror pictures are hard :P)

To ensure they are even - mark the front of the helmet then using something that can be bent to fit the curve of the helmet mark the first earcap.

[/url]

Use that to also mark the other side so the lengths are even.

Sharpie may well rub off hard hat plastic so I put a bit of tape down and sharpie on that.

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2018, 08:39 AM by Kris Jasra » Logged
Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

WIP's: EC, Twi'lek, Demolitions

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
For the next part, you want to have a rough measurement of your shoulder width, as about half this is what you want the base of the helmet to flare out to. Do factor in things such as, larger than standard earcap designs and larger shoulders or a large pauldron at this stage to ensure the helmet looks to be proportioned correctly.

I'm 17inch shoulders without armour, or 19 inch with my shoulder armour in place. Therefore taking that as 18 inch average, around 9inch wide helmet when measured on the outside should look about right. Since earcaps will add some width that'd be 8 and a half inches internal measurement.

Find some cardboard and draw around the back of the helmet from the earcap marks.

If applicable, remove the cat and find a new bit of cardboard. Repeat the last instruction. Then using the measurement you took above widen the helmet at the earcaps. (you can see the original profile and the widening on the picture below) Store this card somewhere safe once you're done, it's not needed again for a while.

Now you want some form of thin card - something that has some strength but also bends (I use breakfast cereal boxes). This is the trickiest part I find, so don't be afraid to go through several bits of card to get the shape spot on.

First, tape the card to the back of the helmet so that it is not overlapping the helmet,

Then trim the bottom in a curve. Take more off until the back and sides clear your shoulders, remember its easy to trim, harder to add on.

For now, you want the helmet to be able to sit on its own with a very small backwards tilt.

Front half next. Stick this about 1 inch up on the outside at the front of the helmet.

Curve the sides round and stick them down with only about ¼ to ½ an inch of card above the helmet rim and just give the bottom a quick trim following the shape of the rear side

Ensure that the flare on either side is equal and is the required measurement.

Mark round the front rim on the inside.

And mark the sides so you know where to restick it.

Remove the template and cut down the top rim. Then stick it back on using the handy guide marks you just made.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kris Jasra

Okay, time to mark out the main features. I always start with the visor since being able to see is fairly important. Find where your eyes are - mark that point.

As you can see, (but I can't...) I have a fairly large problem here. My eyes are sitting behind the hard hat area. Now I could just lower the visor and tilt the helmet back a little, but lowering the visor means the dome will look oversized. The oversized dome is a common give away for hard hat builds and if I'm doing this I'm not going to go the easy route.

So... Back to the saw to take a little more off the hard hat.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!