Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Aussie Desert First Kit

• 3 Replies
Aussie Desert First Kit
« on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:09 AM »
Hello all!

I am determined to start a kit and become a full member of this amazing community.

Though I'm aware that brigades are only open to Official Members, I will be aiming for a Beast Master-suitable kit. At the very least, it gives me design goals and a goal for the future after official membership.

Since I live in Australia and our wilderness is dry and scrappy, I pulled this desertcam swatch off google images for a colour guide to get started/motivated:

I'm quite happy with the results after playing around with Mando maker:

Light though muted colours to both limit overheating and also blend in, "leather" gloves, belt and boots, "unpainted" armour plates, tattered half-length cape to keep the harsh sun off my back, and darkened area around the visor to limit glare. I was having trouble finding the brigade requirements, so I'm not positive these colours are all allowed for the beast master, especially if I stick with hunter's safety orange on the rangefinder! But I'd rather try to meet those requirements too now rather than have to remake part of my kit later.

Next step will be to prototype armour panels, first from paper then cardboard. Not sure whether to draft a template from a duct-tape-dummy or to try to resize premade templates. Guess I'm just worried I'll waste my time only to screw it up and regret not going the other route. I guess that's how we learn though, isn't it? And all I've really got to lose is an old t-shirt, some tape, paper, and printer ink.

I've also gotta learn sewing so I can make a two-piece flightsuit in my favoured fabric, and figure out how the heck to get/make a solid bucket. But those are worries for another day! I'll be proud enough once I've got a perfect template for the plates.

Thanks for reading! Any critique, advice, observations, etc welcome!

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2018, 01:39 AM by Paeneke » Logged
Re: Aussie Beast Master First Kit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:37 PM »
I like your colour choice vod, interested in seeing this come together

Baconboyrlz

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:38 PM »
Brigade BRLs have been locked up in the OM only section of the forum, so that UMs can focus on making there kit approvable before focusing on the more specific brigades upgrades. As it stands, I think your colors would work quite well for a desert based beast hunter. Even if some changes need to be made, they probably wont be too extreme later on.

Tra'cor Clan
OM #1962
M.L.C.S. #45
B.O.M.B. #90
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2018, 05:12 AM »
Thankyou, Unknown :)

Bacon - I figured as much. Once I get over the hurdle of making one kit, I would like to explore a few ideas (high tech kit to play around learning the electronic side of things, vs a low tech "bush kit" like a beast master). Whether I merge those ideas and not qualify for any brigade, or aim to adjust a kit to perform one role and make a second for the other, I'll still make it work for me and be happy with the results. Once I learn the crafting skills, I would love to keep using them to create more stuff   :D
Thanks for confirming that the brigade reqs are hidden, at least I know for sure not to bother searching for them haha. I can see why, it's extra stuff to worry about when you haven't even made a kit yet. So I'll just do my own thing and worry about brigades later  ;D

EDIT:

So I sketched out roughly how I think I want my armour to look; I want spats (I think they will look cool and enhance the look of the armour... I hope), fake leather split kama, fake leather loincloth, boot plates (since I will probably go for laced boots), a girth belt or sash AND an ammo belt, double sleeves, gloves, back of hand hand armour. I'm hoping I will be able to get away without a cod plate, so I'll have to make sure the loincloth is good enough for that.

I went to Spotlight (Australian craft franchise) today and got some cotton for the flightsuit and duck cloth for the vest, now I've just gotta work out a good pattern for the flightsuit!

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2018, 05:08 AM by Paeneke » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!