Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vest construction idea.

• 2 Replies
Vest construction idea.
« on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:03 AM »
Ok im working on a  very liminted budget. And i dont know if this would work or even be approvable.

A vest seems to me to be a thicker shirt with shoulders. Is there anything wrong with taking 2 t-shirts, sowing them together, of course removing the necks.  And using that?
Ir am i over thinking it?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Vest construction idea.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Limited budget: -- duck cloth isn't as expensive as you think it is, especially with a 40 or 60% off joann's coupon which they run all the time -- sacrifice 1 t-shirt to make the pattern, by a couple of yards of duck cloth to make the vest, and absent the expense you would have sacrificed on t-shirt 2, the duck cloth doesn't cost you very much at all, and you'll be much happier. The biggest problem with 2 t-shirts is that your plates are going to sag and bunch together. It needs to be a stiffer material to work.

My flak vest and kama are a set of old black out curtains though, so you might get lucky at a thrift store for material too.  My kit is a budget conscious kit too.

DocJancsi

• Pillage, THEN burn
Re: Vest construction idea.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:20 AM »
The last time I checked cotton duck was about $12-14 (US)/yd and with a 50% coupon it works out to about $7/yd. You will only need about 2 yards of fabric to do the whole thing. Zippers are usually cheaper than Velcro but take More sewing know how. Lacing and buckles can be pretty cheap too. If you are very frugal you can make a great looking flak vest for about $30.

A Mandalorian should be able to raise a child, plan an invasion, butcher a nerf, fly a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, slice a computer, cook a meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!