Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP - Valkyrie's First Kit

• 101 Replies
Re: WIP - Valkyrie's First Kit
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Holy crap!  That's some serious weathering!  Wow.

lol yes! My kit is going to be primarily reds and blacks. My plan to weather my black "jumpsuit" is to pretty much just roll around in the red clay behind my house (we live next to a baseball park, ample red clay) so I needed my boots to look just as bung up!

And yes, those boots are acceptable.  The zippers on the insides are black, right?

Yes! the zippers are black! But I'm also making some spats out of the same quilted fabric as my vest - I intend to put armor on that! And those spats will cover the zips.

Valkyrie
Aiwha Riders Clan, House BV
OM 2076

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:11 PM »
Cool.  The zips will be fine even if you don't do the spats.  However, spats are almost never a bad idea.  I'm upgrading to gaiters/spats on my kit even now.   ;D

You're kicking serious butt with this.  Keep up the great work!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 16
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:26 AM »

It was pointed out to me that my plates were too wide on the sides. The fear was that they hung out too far from my vest. Someone suggested I trim them down on the outside of each plate to make them fit better and not stick out so far.

I took a dremel and a sander to tje, last night and shaved about an inch from the outside of each breastplate (My bondo only cracked a little!! A super easy fix)
What do you guys think? I'll be adding more pictures with the rest of my plates in place hopefully tonight!

Valkyrie
OM 2076

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2018, 12:35 PM »
I think that looks great!  Well done.  You're just smokin' right along!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 16

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2018, 12:58 PM »
That looks good!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278 || Approval Team Director
Custom Armor WIP - Bo Katan WIP

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:07 PM »
Those modifications look wonderful. Keep it up!

- Taakure Clan -
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:57 PM »
Well after more measuring & trimming (and crying)  I think I finally have the spacing right!!

What do you guys think? Am I ready to finally throw some paint on these bad boys?!

Tape below my hand is my "belly button reference"

I will be having a wide sash & girth belt and due to my hips being very honest (awkward Shakira reference, sorry)  they'll obviously need to sit up higher on my body.

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2018, 11:00 PM by theValkyrie » Logged
Valkyrie
OM 2076

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:53 PM »
That looks absolutely spot on. If you have to, snap or velcro the sash/girthbelt in place - any trick is a good trick to stop wandering upwards.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

WIP's: EC, Twi'lek, Demolitions
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Hi friends, I've been thinking about creating a slightly different looking neck plate. Sort of like this guy's.
Would this work with my style of armor??

Valkyrie
OM 2076

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Pauldron goes over the collar plate, it can't be worn instead of the collar plate. However you can put them onpretty much any kit bar the canon ones if you want, either double sided like the one you've pictured, or just one sided, like Sandtroopers often have.
They can be customised in shape a fair bit to fit different plate styles, this is another one to show the variation: (Pikachu jumper is totally the newest flightsuit fad :P)

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2018, 03:19 PM »
Pauldron goes over the collar plate, it can't be worn instead of the collar plate. However you can put them onpretty much any kit bar the canon ones if you want, either double sided like the one you've pictured, or just one sided, like Sandtroopers often have.
They can be customised in shape a fair bit to fit different plate styles, this is another one to show the variation

Pikachu jumpsuit for the win!!  :laugh: Love it!

So I would keep my normal collar & shoulder plates and this would sit on top? That seems totally doable!

When submitting approval photos would I submit one with the pauldron and one without so they can see my collar plate?  Also can I have a piece of velcro on my collar plate to hold this in place? Ack! So many questions!!

I really like the look of all of these photos!! (gah! now I have to pick one!!)

« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2018, 03:37 PM by theValkyrie » Logged
Valkyrie
OM 2076

Kris Jasra

« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:32 PM »
When submitting you'd take the shots with the pauldron on. I then suggest either taking a second shot without it in case you are asked for it (to double check the collar and shoulders are in place - but we do check wips before asking), or to make it really easy for us, take the pauldron off for the helmet off picture that is required.

Keeping things in place with hidden connections is a good plan. This one was test fitting in the pictures I gave you - turns out it needs a couple of snaps on the vest just outside the collar plating or some sort of under arm harness to keep it from shifting too much.

« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:06 AM »
When submitting you'd take the shots with the pauldron on. I then suggest either taking a second shot without it in case you are asked for it (to double check the collar and shoulders are in place - but we do check wips before asking), or to make it really easy for us, take the pauldron off for the helmet off picture that is required.
Keeping things in place with hidden connections is a good plan. This one was test fitting in the pictures I gave you - turns out it needs a couple of snaps on the vest just outside the collar plating or some sort of under arm harness to keep it from shifting too much.

Thanks for all the tips! I appreciate it! It's making this whole thing feel a lot less scary!

I finished 99% of my soft parts last night (except for spats) so I tried them all on together.

I'm quite happy with them. Is the fastener for my tac belt acceptable? I know I probably need to get new/more pouches for it.

Valkyrie
OM 2076

Jintsuri

• Witty remark goes here
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Just popping in to say I'm digging your progress (and also am in love with that cape!) Good luck, and keep on, you're doing great!!

Kitsu Ge'tal Progress Board
MMCC#1969 | SVC #86 | Traffic Cone Brigade #13 | GOMOL #031 | M5 #093 | OOPS #55 | Karli H.
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:08 PM »
Just popping in to say I'm digging your progress (and also am in love with that cape!) Good luck, and keep on, you're doing great!!

Aww thank you <3 <3

Valkyrie
OM 2076

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!