Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP - Valkyrie's First Kit

• 101 Replies

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
Re: WIP - Valkyrie's First Kit
« Reply #50 on: Mar 05, 2018, 01:13 PM »
Thanks! I called around to all my local craft shops and it was impossible to find masking liquid... I read a few posts on here that suggested using toothpaste so I gave it a whirl. So far so good!!

(also, HEY! I follow you on Instagram! lol)

Very welcome! I also like that quilted flak vested for some reason...  ;D also... Awesome!! ! I exist on here too! Got'a make sure I give the people what they want lol

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #51 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:04 PM »
YES PAINT! One of the most exciting parts of armor making, for me at least. I use toothpaste. :P Works just fine.  8)

theValkyrie

• "Some girls just want to be warlords..."
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #52 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:20 PM »
YES PAINT! One of the most exciting parts of armor making, for me at least. I use toothpaste. :P Works just fine.  8)

;D :P :laugh:
I smelled like mint for two days but otherwise it worked out GREAT and I'm so excited to get back to painting tomorrow.
Gave this layer a good 3 days to dry totally.

OM 2076 & 2076b

“The quickest way to a man's heart is through the fourth and fifth ribs.”

Ordeyn

• MMCC #0629
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #53 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:44 PM »
;D :P :laugh:
I smelled like mint for two days but otherwise it worked out GREAT and I'm so excited to get back to painting tomorrow.
Gave this layer a good 3 days to dry totally.

If I'm honest, I think my armor STILL smells a little minty even 6 years later. :P Can't wait to see more!

theValkyrie

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #54 on: Mar 09, 2018, 07:46 PM »
Tonight I took a big step forward and put the first coat of red on my kit!!
If I never have to put toothpaste on armor again it'll be too soon.
For updates or new kits I'm going to try a little harder to find masking liquid.

OM 2076 & 2076b

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #55 on: Mar 09, 2018, 08:44 PM »
That's a pretty red.  Can't wait to see the reveal!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

theValkyrie

« Reply #56 on: Mar 09, 2018, 08:59 PM »
That's a pretty red.  Can't wait to see the reveal!

Me too   :laugh:
I'm so nervous if I'm honest!!

OM 2076 & 2076b

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #57 on: Mar 09, 2018, 09:06 PM »
I know the feeling.  I'm always a little nervous, too, when I start taking off the masking fluid.  I'm confident it'll be wonderful.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

theValkyrie

« Reply #58 on: Mar 09, 2018, 09:19 PM »
I know the feeling.  I'm always a little nervous, too, when I start taking off the masking fluid.  I'm confident it'll be wonderful.

Thank you!

I just went for a solid red look and I'm planning on adding quite a bit of hand-detailing before sealing. I really hope it looks decent!

OM 2076 & 2076b

theValkyrie

« Reply #59 on: Mar 10, 2018, 08:47 PM »
Well, as Yoda said: The greatest teacher, failure is.
Looks like i'm sanding the whole thing down and starting over  :laugh:

I wasn't happy with how it looked plus the toothpaste method was getting increasingly cumbersome.
I will be investing in masking fluid and starting over.
I'll continue to post my progress guys.. thanks again for all your help!

OM 2076 & 2076b

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #60 on: Mar 11, 2018, 05:11 AM »
Aw, good luck with your sanding and repaint !

For my own paint jobs, I like to use a philips screwdriver with liquid latex/masking fluid. You can get a lot of variations in your scratches with this. (And also it prevents me from throwing a paint brush in the trash)

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #61 on: Mar 11, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Well, as Yoda said: The greatest teacher, failure is.
Looks like i'm sanding the whole thing down and starting over  :laugh:

I wasn't happy with how it looked plus the toothpaste method was getting increasingly cumbersome.
I will be investing in masking fluid and starting over.
I'll continue to post my progress guys.. thanks again for all your help!

In terms of the look, what didn't you like about the toothpaste method? Did the weathering just end up looking like blobs? If that is the case, that generally means there was too much toothpaste. What I tend to do is apply toothpaste with a tooth pick to to small scrapes and other cut type weathering. I also use a paint brush and dab that into the toothpaste knock some of it off and that dab that into the plates. This allows the toothpaste to have that random damage affect as some areas will be thicker than others or won't cover whole areas. This allows the pain to reach different areas and give that splotchy looking affect. To remove the toothpaste I just dampen a sponge and wipe it off once all the paint dries.

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

theValkyrie

« Reply #62 on: Mar 11, 2018, 04:15 PM »
In terms of the look, what didn't you like about the toothpaste method? Did the weathering just end up looking like blobs? If that is the case, that generally means there was too much toothpaste. What I tend to do is apply toothpaste with a tooth pick to to small scrapes and other cut type weathering. I also use a paint brush and dab that into the toothpaste knock some of it off and that dab that into the plates. This allows the toothpaste to have that random damage affect as some areas will be thicker than others or won't cover whole areas. This allows the pain to reach different areas and give that splotchy looking affect. To remove the toothpaste I just dampen a sponge and wipe it off once all the paint dries.

Being too large was an issue but the biggest issue was functionality. I had to wipe it off after every layer otherwise it might dry and then that’s a whoooooole other problem.

I still think it’s a good technique and may use it again in the future but for now I think I’m going to use the masking liquid.

I’ve also got a little better idea of what I want the kit to look like now (a little late, I know)... so it will be better in the long run I think (I hope)!! 

(I can't draw to-scale for crap lol but you get the idea... V's for Valkyrie!)

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2018, 06:22 PM by theValkyrie » Logged
OM 2076 & 2076b

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #63 on: Mar 13, 2018, 08:08 AM »
I really like that color combination ! :)
Will the yellow parts be yellow or gold metallic ?

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

theValkyrie

« Reply #64 on: Mar 13, 2018, 08:23 AM »
I really like that color combination ! :)
Will the yellow parts be yellow or gold metallic ?

I’m planning on gold! I’ve seen a few really nice things done with gold leafing pens and thought I give it a try

OM 2076 & 2076b

theValkyrie

« Reply #65 on: Mar 13, 2018, 12:52 PM »
Hello everyone, I have a question.
Since I've started my redesign I've looked through some possible changes to my gauntlets.
I have leather lace-up half-braces that I was thinking of covering in armor plates that would match my kit.
Are these types of half-bracers allowed (with the addition of plates that is)??

OM 2076 & 2076b

TracynSenaar

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #66 on: Mar 13, 2018, 10:31 PM »
According to the gauntlet CRL's:

"Forearms must be fully covered by one of the following:
Full or half/bracer style hard shell gauntlets that cover 2/3 of the length of the forearm from wrist to elbow.
Materials such as vinyl, pleather, and thin leather or suede will NOT be acceptable as a use for forearm covering. They can be used as a method of mounting half bracers but are not permissible alone.
Ren Fair/Larp/Reenactment bracers and unmodified-Leather bracers are no longer acceptable.
Wraps will no longer be permitted to replace gauntlets unless used specifically for the “Montross” Mandalorian character, future canon characters with wraps for gauntlets, or Early Crusader armor kits."

So you might be able to use them a a base with armor on top of them, but modify the lacing to be some sort of buckle or strap, as laces are a no-go as well.

My fiancé's kit has soft-gaunts with hard armor plates attached to them, and they were approved.

Havelock

« Reply #67 on: Mar 13, 2018, 10:34 PM »
Well said.   :)

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #68 on: Mar 13, 2018, 11:02 PM »
I definitely want to keep an eye on your progress here! Your soft part weathering is really first-rate and your plates seem to be coming along nicely. For converting the leather vambraces to strap-and-buckle, it's pretty easy. You can use the existing lace holes as anchor points for the straps and either rivet them on or use small bolts and nuts so that the straps are removable. I actually had a pair done that way many years ago that I picked up from a fellow Merc that worked pretty well.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #69 on: Mar 14, 2018, 12:25 AM »
Or throwing another option out there that I saw. They had two plates attached, one at the top and one at the bottom. The bottom one had velcro either side of the lacing - lace it on then attach the plate and it covered the lacing. I can't say how well it held etc as I didn't do it myself, but I can say that with the lacing completely hidden like that it did pass the CRLs.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

theValkyrie

« Reply #70 on: Mar 14, 2018, 09:46 AM »
I definitely want to keep an eye on your progress here! Your soft part weathering is really first-rate and your plates seem to be coming along nicely.

Oh my gosh thank you!

For converting the leather vambraces to strap-and-buckle, it's pretty easy. You can use the existing lace holes as anchor points for the straps and either rivet them on or use small bolts and nuts so that the straps are removable. I actually had a pair done that way many years ago that I picked up from a fellow Merc that worked pretty well.

So you might be able to use them a a base with armor on top of them, but modify the lacing to be some sort of buckle or strap, as laces are a no-go as well.
My fiancé's kit has soft-gaunts with hard armor plates attached to them, and they were approved.

Thanks for the tips!! Do either of you have any photos of the gauntlets that I could use for reference?

OM 2076 & 2076b

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #71 on: Mar 14, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Oh my gosh thank you!

Thanks for the tips!! Do either of you have any photos of the gauntlets that I could use for reference?
You're very welcome :), and sadly I do not; the gauntlets appear to have gotten lost in one of my moves, and the pictures were lost some time ago when my external hard drive was cruelly murdered :(.

theValkyrie

« Reply #72 on: Apr 27, 2018, 09:49 AM »

I’m back at it again with Valkyrie. We experienced a pretty significant setback during the last paint - mostly that the toothpaste method was NOT working as far as masking liquid. It was sloppy and caused major issues when we were trying to remove it between coats. Also we had moisture issues which caused the whole kit to crackle like salt flats when we added the last color coat... and if that wasn’t enough, I also decided that I *hated* the original design.

ALL THAT TO SAY:

After a complete sanding to remove the old paint and primer we have changed painting locations from the porch to the shed. It’s a large room which, while not completely atmosphere controlled, is “indoors”, dust free, and relatively moisture free. It has been a DREAM to paint in there and I’m swearing off painting anywhere else unless I HAVE to lol.

We are 3 coats of black in, planning to remove the masking fluid tonight and then beginning the fun taping-off process for this redesign.

Wish me luck!!

OM 2076 & 2076b

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #73 on: Apr 27, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Good luck! I'm glad you found an ideal painting location. We've all faced those troubles before D:

theValkyrie

« Reply #74 on: Apr 28, 2018, 01:03 AM »
Well, I never thought I'd get this far but HERE WE ARE!!

Taped everything off and hit it with my final color layers!!!!

After it's dried overnight I'll remove the masking liquid and then let it rest for a day or two before starting the weathering.

I'm very happy with the progress so far!

OM 2076 & 2076b

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!