Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

EC Mask WIP conecpt/help

• 8 Replies

Mand0MercMomma

• aka Qira Tavik
EC Mask WIP conecpt/help
« on: Feb 16, 2018, 03:22 PM »
I'm working on the fine details of the mask before i start cutting my sintra, and came into a bit of a snag. I looked to Da Rules to my dismay, and thought i might have to change everything about my super awesome mask.
Help me OM's! You're my only hope!

WIP EC helmet concept https://imgur.com/gallery/IYVDF

Da Rules
https://i.imgur.com/Ch8hI0a.png

Refrence mask w/ cheeks and Y visor
https://i.imgur.com/sYFWcqa.png

"To die for one’s people is a great sacrifice. To live for one’s people, an even greater sacrifice. I choose to live for my people.” — Riyo Chuchi

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: EC Mask WIP conecpt/help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:52 PM »
Please Hold,
Transferring you to a Team member for assistance...

Naran Baatar

• Formerly 'Ghosthammer54'
  • "The Khan"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2018, 01:08 AM »
Looking at your concept for an EC mask, I don't see anything that should be an issue. Remember the key with EC kits, is to make sure it looks organic. The more than it looks like it is made from bone, carapace or hand shaped metal the better. Also something important to keep in mind with EC mask is they cannot be flat they need to wrap around the sides of the face and at least part way onto the top of the head as well.

I would suggest getting in contact with Kris Jasra as well as she is currently the only EC approved with a mask, so she will have some good pointers in that regards.

Mand0MercMomma

• aka Qira Tavik
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2018, 02:16 AM »
Cool cool i definitely did not want to scrap all that. I wanted to actually make the top curve around the head down to the occipital bone like how a baseball hat sits. Would that be approvable?
As for the bone work i was going to use bondo and smear it all over until it gets chunky and sand the bits i dont want. I was also going to use Friendly Plastic for bone spikes and ridges.
Kris was helping me there for a bit but i haven't really been active on the forum in a while.

"To die for one’s people is a great sacrifice. To live for one’s people, an even greater sacrifice. I choose to live for my people.” — Riyo Chuchi

Naran Baatar

• Formerly 'Ghosthammer54'
  • "The Khan"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2018, 03:32 AM »
So you are wanting to make a helmet not a mask? Because of you are going to go all the way around the head like that then you will need to just make a helmet in which case it needs to look and sit like well a helmet. If you are going to make a mask then it needs to stop around the coronal suture (fancy terms are returned in kind :) ) and needs to cover on the sides to just before the ear. You would also need a full leather or faux leather cowl to wear under the mask and you would still require hoses as per the Early Crusader CRLs, as mask and helmet alike require those.

Now if you decide to go the helmet direction instead well in that case. It needs to follow the more standard helmet shape and area of coverage in which case. I would suggest using the hard hat and five gallon bucket trick to form the base of your helmet that is how I have made three Early Crusader helmets myself.

As for the bone work, I would honestly suggest against using just bondo and I would use a two-part epoxy putty for crafting and what not. You have WAY more control as it has a much longer work time and it will allow you to create a much more detailed surface. Also it will save you a great deal of sanding. It is more costly than bondo but it is only not nearly as a hazardous material to work with.

In regards to the spikes, make sure they also look organic not like plastic as well.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2018, 05:15 AM »
As Naran said, having the main bone curve all the way to the base of the skull would be a full helmet. For a mask coverage you're looking more at Mandalore the Indomitable and (with some adjustments so it's not the exact mask) Darth Revan. The rest of the cover is a leather or very heavy fabric cowl. (Although, I am wondering if a bone mask could allow for adding some fancy bone work with horns that curve round the head - it'd be hard to pull off as you'd need to avoid looking too fantasy dragon mask... hmmmm, I've intrigued myself now.)

My mask stops just before my ear at the sides and curves over the top of the head, while the bottom narrows over my cheekbones to cover my chin.

This is the base profile of my mask before I cut the visor out and added any details. That appears to be a very similar shape to your concepts.

I do use bondo for my bonework and find that working in very small amounts and in small patches (to mimic Narans slower setting putty) is far easier than putting huge amounts on and sanding for hours. Build the shape upwards in small amounts rather than spend ages sanding downwards. Although I went for bleached sanded smooth bone rather then cracked and pitted bone as my mind refuses to see cracked bone as anything but brittle and just waiting to snap :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

WIP's: EC, Twi'lek, Demolitions

Mand0MercMomma

• aka Qira Tavik
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Yeah ive tried sculpting with the two part already i had to use a whole tube just to get my scrap piece big enough. Ill scrap the dome part then. Im also going to have a krayt dragon or a reek skull encasing the mask with a spine back piece connected to balance out weight.
Krayt dragon cowl piece https://imgur.com/gallery/mMF45
That mask is fantastic btw. Is it just curved sintra? Very much the shape im looking for indeed. Does the top curve At your hairline or past near the apex?

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2018, 05:08 AM »
That mask is fantastic btw. Is it just curved sintra? Very much the shape im looking for indeed. Does the top curve At your hairline or past near the apex?

It's made from hammered aluminium and copper. The top aluminium edge sits about an inch beyond my hairline and it curves with the shape of my forehead with about half an inch in between mask and me which is padded.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

WIP's: EC, Twi'lek, Demolitions

Mand0MercMomma

• aka Qira Tavik
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2018, 03:06 PM »
Okay those deminsions helped a lot!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!