Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rick's armor WIP

• 53 Replies
Re: Rick's armor WIP
« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2018, 08:12 AM »
I lengthened my templates, 1" taller for the chest plates and 2" taller for the gut plate.  How does this look?  (Ignore the back plate)

finger on belly button

left view

right view

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Yes, the front plates look right. That did the trick. Once you have them cut out from Sintra or whatever you'll be using and then shaping them, it'll look great. I can't remember offhand, but do you have a helmet yet?

ORIíRAMIKAD 2020 | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Award for 75 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Celebration Chicago
« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Much better!

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:21 PM »
I can't remember offhand, but do you have a helmet yet?

I have a pepakura helmet in progress.  Just need to bondo the outside and paint. 

Thanks to you both.

Tek Sa'an

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:27 PM »
I just went back and looked through your posts. That's a cool helmet. I've seen the one that a member from Florida ( _Burt) 3D printed. They are really nice.

Also, if you're in need of some 3mm Sintra for your armor, I have tons of large scraps at work you're welcome to. You're not too far from Galveston.

« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Also, if you're in need of some 3mm Sintra for your armor, I have tons of large scraps at work you're welcome to. You're not too far from Galveston.

Thank you for the offer.  I have a couple of 2x4 sheets of 5mm and a couple more of 3mm.  I don't think I'll run out, but if I do, I'll let you know.

« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2018, 03:12 PM »
A little more progress.  I came up with a unique backplate design.

Tek Sa'an

« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2018, 04:23 PM »
That is amazing! I love it.

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2018, 07:58 PM »
Be careful of the height of your ab plate. Though it reaches your bellybutton now, per CRL's if you're using a Jango/Boba ab the height must not exceed approximately 1/2 the width. Yours right now is 1 and 1. I'd suggest fixing the issue with slightly wider spacing rather than simply extending the ab.

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 36
« Reply #24 on: Oct 19, 2018, 10:36 AM »
Thank you, Jenga.  I had forgotten that rule.  Other than legacy, is there a different ab plate that doesn't have this rule?

It looks like your collar plate is a little taller than my template.  Is this something I could do to add some height?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #25 on: Oct 19, 2018, 12:34 PM »
some of the rebels abs are different, and there are other custom ab designs people have used that aren't the standard Fett style. 

You can make your collar taller, yes.  But really, if you look at Boba, his armor doesn't go much past the bottom of his ribs.  "Intestines are expendable" 

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #26 on: Oct 19, 2018, 02:12 PM »
Yes, like Sep said you can go in a more rebels direction if you still want to keep that classic ish look. You could also segment it if youíre feeling particularly adventurous  :D it would match your back!

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 36
« Reply #27 on: Oct 22, 2018, 11:17 AM »
You could also segment it if youíre feeling particularly adventurous

Would just segmenting the ab into a top and bottom section be enough?  Something like this?

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #28 on: Oct 22, 2018, 11:27 PM »
I would have suggested adding half an inch to the bottom of the collar of the First Set you made, half an inch to the height of the chest plates and increasing the spacing slightly, but do not touch the ab plate. You want to shift the armour down a little on you so that the chest diamond remains the centre point rather than add to the ab so that it becomes huge and draws the eye.
I use a point between the elbow with the arm down by the side and the navel for spacing. If you look at most Mando images the ab seems to end at around the top end of the gauntlets - with different torso lengths this can put the ab at the navel or well above it (mine is around an inch above the navel). So don't worry if you still have a little room above the navel as long as the girth and belt covers the space without too much of a gap.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Thanks, Kris.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!