Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Rick's armor WIP

• 83 Replies

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Rick's armor WIP
« on: Feb 17, 2018, 11:38 AM »
I printed out the large Jango templates and stuck them on my duct tape dummy.  No one around today to take pictures on me.  I know it's not ideal, but any comments on the sizing?

Front

Back

Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

John Precal

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Rick's armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:29 AM »
Sizing is really difficult to tell when its not actually on you and you can't see it in person. I'll be following this thread to help as you go. I'm really interested in what your concept will be too.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2018, 06:09 AM »
I think they're going to be just a touch wide on you - but it is just a hunch, can't tell for sure till they are on you :)

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

rlobrecht

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:34 PM »
Thanks to you both.  I expected this answer, just trying to shortcut the process a little when I had time.

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

John Precal

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:41 PM »
Also if you have what you will use for your Flak Vest, this will help tremendously for sizing them the way you want.

rlobrecht

« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:02 AM »
The flak vest is on the dummy.  Its grey.  You can see a slight difference in the grey vs silver of the duct tape at the arms.  I'll make sure I use it when I can get some help taking pictures.

John Precal

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:44 AM »
Ah ok, yeah you're right, I see it now.
But yeah, also shape it to your body, but not super drastic, still keep it like how boba and jango are, because when its just sitting on you it's gonna hang /slightly/

rlobrecht

« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2018, 08:28 AM »
And another step in my super slow build.  I finally got around to getting someone to take pictures of the templates actually on my body.  Pardon the ripped back plate template, I didn't notice that until I pulled the images off my phone.

My figure is on my belly button.  And yes, my girth belt covers the bottom of the vest.

Any suggestions?

MadCelt

• Just a little man trying to stay in God's plan.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2018, 09:17 AM »
rlo, your front templates look pretty good.
Sizing seems to be spot on, and your spacing looks tight.
Not sure on the back, but I can't make a proper backplate to save my life, so there's that...

rlobrecht

« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2018, 10:32 AM »
rlo, your front templates look pretty good.
Sizing seems to be spot on, and your spacing looks tight.
Not sure on the back, but I can't make a proper backplate to save my life, so there's that...

Thanks, Mad.

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2018, 12:37 PM »
How tall are you? The stomach plate needs to end where your belly button is, so you may need to adjust your print settings or just modify the plates yourself. You definitely want to make sure the armor looks proportionate to your body. Same goes for the back plate. It needs to end much lower on your back. You are doing a great job, though. And it's good you're posting here so we can see. It helps. We'll make sure you look good, though. It always takes trial and error, but we're all here to help.

Take a look at this post by Saz for some tips on armor: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=51027.0

ORI’RAMIKAD 2020 | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736

rlobrecht

« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2018, 12:59 PM »
Thanks, Tek.  I'm 5'11", but pretty round in the middle.  I used the 6 foot Boba templates.  I'll check out the post.

Tek Sa'an

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2018, 02:12 PM »
You're welcome. After reading many of the posts in that link, it seems like quite a few people add another plate under the stomach plate. That seems to help a lot. Maybe try that without resizing the plates? Your chest does look good - just not quite to your belly button. But the width looks spot on.

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2018, 02:35 AM »
Following with great interest.  Looking good so far.  Us larger folk have special considerations.  A normal template doesn't take into account our extra dimensions so elongating the templates will go a long way.  Extend the chest and ab about an inch each and it should help eat up that space.  The width seems perfect, though.

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

rlobrecht

« Reply #14 on: Aug 28, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Thanks, Tek and Erio.

rlobrecht

« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2018, 08:12 AM »
I lengthened my templates, 1" taller for the chest plates and 2" taller for the gut plate.  How does this look?  (Ignore the back plate)

finger on belly button

left view

right view

Tek Sa'an

« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Yes, the front plates look right. That did the trick. Once you have them cut out from Sintra or whatever you'll be using and then shaping them, it'll look great. I can't remember offhand, but do you have a helmet yet?

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Much better!

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

rlobrecht

« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:21 PM »
I can't remember offhand, but do you have a helmet yet?

I have a pepakura helmet in progress.  Just need to bondo the outside and paint. 

Thanks to you both.

Tek Sa'an

« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:27 PM »
I just went back and looked through your posts. That's a cool helmet. I've seen the one that a member from Florida ( _Burt) 3D printed. They are really nice.

Also, if you're in need of some 3mm Sintra for your armor, I have tons of large scraps at work you're welcome to. You're not too far from Galveston.

rlobrecht

« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Also, if you're in need of some 3mm Sintra for your armor, I have tons of large scraps at work you're welcome to. You're not too far from Galveston.

Thank you for the offer.  I have a couple of 2x4 sheets of 5mm and a couple more of 3mm.  I don't think I'll run out, but if I do, I'll let you know.

rlobrecht

« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2018, 03:12 PM »
A little more progress.  I came up with a unique backplate design.

Tek Sa'an

« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2018, 04:23 PM »
That is amazing! I love it.

Jenga

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2018, 07:58 PM »
Be careful of the height of your ab plate. Though it reaches your bellybutton now, per CRL's if you're using a Jango/Boba ab the height must not exceed approximately 1/2 the width. Yours right now is 1 and 1. I'd suggest fixing the issue with slightly wider spacing rather than simply extending the ab.

#1732 | He/Him | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 39 | Event Team 2022-current | App Team 2018-2021 | Art Team 2019-2021

rlobrecht

« Reply #24 on: Oct 19, 2018, 10:36 AM »
Thank you, Jenga.  I had forgotten that rule.  Other than legacy, is there a different ab plate that doesn't have this rule?

It looks like your collar plate is a little taller than my template.  Is this something I could do to add some height?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!