Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

W.I.P. of the Dragonslayer

• 3 Replies

Verd Tracinya

• Monsters don't always walk on all fours.
W.I.P. of the Dragonslayer
« on: Feb 18, 2018, 10:54 AM »
So enough of my kit has arrived that I feel like I can actually post about my build and ideas and actually have something to show for it so here ya go.

So starting off, I suck at art so I didn't really draw out a concept. What I did have are plenty of ideas and a central focus on a certain monster to base the kit off of. This kit will be a early era kit built for the beast hunter and possibly arctic enviro ops brigades down the line.

Starting off the kit as it stands currently

An all white color scheme is actually kinda easy since all I had to do was buy a white jumpsuit and some boots and gloves. It's really sparse right now, but hey at least I have something.

Now for the close ups.
Gloves are just leather stormtrooper gloves

Same with the boots.

helmet is a resin cast of that one guy from the comics that we use as the Early era poster boy

Leg wraps are white faux fur with black leather strings tying them down

Here comes the fun stuff. Wonder why I named this kit the dragonslayer and why you've been reading all this?
BOOM!

Those are 3d printed dragon skulls I got on Etsy on a whim and I love them, I plan to use them for shoulder or upper bicep armor once they're cleaned up.

These are 'dragon plate' gauntlets that i got for a steal and asked the guy selling them to damage them, "as much as you're comfortable doing so". Needless to say, I think they turned out great.

The monster that i'm keeping in mind for all of this kit is the 'Ice Dragon' of Toloran that has a wiki entry, but literally NO information or pictures on it. So given the fact that other dragons do exist in star wars I figure the skulls, plate, and anything else I can find will be fine to use. I've already checked with the skulls and got the O.K. to use them as armor.

Honestly with the effort and money i've put into it already, i'm a little distraught at how little progress it looks like i've made, and honestly I might scrap some things down the road, but first I need to get the pieces to actually get O.M.

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #116
V.A.B.S. #???

"If that's what needs to be sacrificed to save the world, it's better to let that world die."

reguillet

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: W.I.P. of the Dragonslayer
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Right off the bat, I recommend popping he collar on the flight suit, and snapping the top button. From there you will see how much you need to add to the flightsuit and if you need a neck seal.

JakanOrar

• haHAH
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:01 AM »
Right off the bat, I recommend popping he collar on the flight suit, and snapping the top button. From there you will see how much you need to add to the flightsuit and if you need a neck seal.
I second this^
Did the same when my coveralls arrived and found the top button made it a bit tight, but the collar stuck up very nicely either way and will save me a bunch of work, so you should probably check that.
Otherwise I like the idea you have. Tbh I'm a bit hyped seeing an early era armor coming from Firestorm region considering how few early era designs I've even seen in the mercs.  Hope you can get time to work and post more soon!

Ladies and gentlemen, Jakan's Uncle and my first Mando character: Arindel Lejex of house Orar.

Naran Baatar

• Formerly 'Ghosthammer54'
  • "The Khan"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:37 AM »
So....when building an EC kit. The key is to make sure everything looks organic. I get that you seem to be going for an "arctic" sort of theme. But remember organic, which by a large means things like "pure" whites are really going to fly. A nice bleached bone sort of color works, well but when it comes to EC stuff the non-natural colors generally don't work.

I am also concerned about the weigh of the fabric you are using for your flight suit, as I can see the pockets through the outside material, which is also an issue. I would suggest getting a pair of heavier weight coverall, made from duck cloth or similarly heavier fabric.

It is hard to see what is going on with the gauntlets, but I concern that they are going to be "too fantasy" remember that even though EC kits sit more towards the line of Fantasy compared to the other eras. You really need to make sure that everything still looks like it fits more solidly in the Sci-fi realm, and from what I can see of the gauntlets they look far to fantasy....

I think you have some solid things to build off of here. But like I said early organic is the key, this extends to everything with an EC kit, from the materials used to the color choices. So like pure colors are a very "modern" sort of thing. So if you want to have a "white" EC kit I would highly suggest going towards the off-white/unbleached cotton color range.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!